It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

prove that you exist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
When I punch you in the face and you feel pain, then you will know I am real.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
A few people already suggested that.

Like I've said a few times now, the whole "punch them in the face" thing doesn't eliminate the possibility of you being a hallucination.

Furthermore, while a few people have talked about punching the OP in the face, none have done it. So until you actually find them and punch them in the face, you haven't even presented your "proof" and the OP's challenge still stands.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
Can you? I dont think you can. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong.
Prove that you exist. Give me an example, I'd love to hear it. What you can't??????? Well I wonder what that might mean???????????? Could it mean that you might not exist??????????
Well i know i do, what about you???????

With a proposition like that, you should be posting in the 911CT forums.

'Prove to me that WTC1 & 2 were NOT destroyed by CONTROLLED DEMOLITIONS...'

'Prove to me that Flight 93 was NOT shot down!!!'

'Prove to me that it wasn't an inside job planned & executed by MOSSAD...'

and so on, ad infinitum.

If you have never read 'The Holographic Universe' by Michael Talbot:

www.amazon.com...=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207476655&sr=8-1

then I might recommend it as an interesting perspective on this subject.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
What's proof?

How to "prove" with(out) using the alphabet?

[edit on 6-4-2008 by jwater88]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Proof is for people that do not understand the nature of evidence. Evidence can either be support for a claim, or a demonstrated example of how that certain claim cannot be true. A claim can have all the positive support in the world, and still be disproven by ONE example of how it can't work. At that, having all of the support also does not prove any claim.

Proof is actually a subjective term meaning the amount of positive support needed to be considered truth by the individual. One could have little support, a lot of support, or some support with some evidence of the claim being FALSE. Yes, people will believe things that have negative support, and only the positive support will be considered in the Proof.

Scientific proof is a misnomer. Science can only provide evidence and realize impossibilities.

Basically, who cares if you exist or not, but with the scientific support, it would not be wise to try to walk through you.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
An interesting websites

Also, google and read on wikipedia about "computer simulation theory".

In some way, we exist but the question is does the environment we live in exist?. The dream argument is based on the theory that some dreams seem so real we end up questioning if it was "real".

"If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply signals interpreted by your brain."
- Morpheus in The Matrix

But, if dreams can be feel real as reality then where do I exist? My dreams or my reality?

Our lives are built on cause and effect, call it Karma or God's will, everything we do has a reason. There are no choices in this world, some scientists argue we are designed to serve a purpose and leave when it is over.

(Interesting thread btw)

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think therefore I am.

lol

No doubt someones already used that one.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

I disagree vhemently, the punch in the face thing does indeed illustrate exactly the point that you are alive. One never senses their life force more than when they are under duress.

You can say that we are not "Real" but what we experience in our reality as reality is exactly the component which is missing from unreality like dreaming, movies, and video games. Your suggestion carries with it the implication that there exists a hyperreality where we sense Real sensations which surpass anything available in this dream". Prove that!

If you are not suggesting a hyperreality then you are suggesting that we are only a dream without a dreamer. If there is no hyperreality then the real of life is the realest real you are going to ever get, and so it is as real as can be. Therefore it is "Real" in the ultimate sense.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

...Uh... ok?

The answer lies in whatever you were saying about hyperreality... I think.

I'm not saying that I actually believe we are in such a thing - I do not believe this. Why? I don't know. I just don't.

What I'm saying is, that you cannot meet the OP's challenge until you rule out that possibility - which can't be done.

The reason for that is that a "hyperreality" as you call it can neither be proven nor disproven. Why not? Well, consider this: *IF* there were a hyperreality, then any evidence presented towards either argument could simply be a creation of that hyperreality.

The most you can ever prove to the original poster is that he perceives you to be real with all of his senses. You haven't been challenged to prove that you are "as real as real can get" or any of that other stuff you said, you've been challenged to prove that you are flat out, 100% proof positive, beyond all comprehendable and uncomprehandable possibilities, real. Not in an "ultimate sense," but in reality.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It does not matter if I really exist,what only matters is that I think I do.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Doesn't the old saying go, "I think and therefore, I am" LOL

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars
Doesn't the old saying go, "I think and therefore, I am" LOL

Who's I?

Ever play...
knock-knock?
Who is there?
Who?

How does one think?

".Think."

or alphabet and other language example again?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
well i just banged my kneecap on the edge of my desk and that blooming well hurt like crazy therefore I exist owwwwwwwwwch and right now im telling you about it so i guess thats proof isnt it?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905 Can you? I dont think you can. Go ahead and try to prove me wrong. Prove that you exist. Give me an example, I'd love to hear it. What you can't??????? Well I wonder what that might mean???????????? Could it mean that you might not exist?????????? Well i know i do, what about you???????

I am dying to know what you know. I cannot think of "how" to prove that I exist.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
no its not an absurd thread. You can not prove that you exist to another person. You cannot do it. I was expecting a more cerebral aproach to this topic. Somthing other them "ill come by an slap you" That action or anything like it proves nothing. Think about it....Do i think you exist.. off course i think you do...but you cant prove it to another person.........THE ONLY THING YOU CAN BELIEVE IN, IS YOUR OWN MIND. that is my point.

i feel i need to add this is not for points. I seriously believe what i posted you cannot do it. In this idea i think lies a major philosphical question. Its also intresting how people seem to have gotten very angry over this post.

example: There are theories out there that say if you can imagine that the world is a computer simulation ......then it has too be one.

the anger ive gotten with this thread is great. Maybe i have people questioning what they believe......

[edit on 9-4-2008 by drock905]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

the anger ive gotten with this thread is great. Maybe i have people questioning what they believe......

I think it's more your challenging what they believe.
Some cannot take any challenge of any sort to their beliefs.

Most in their hubris believe their view is the best for everyone and everyone who isn't crazy should have it.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I think, therefore I am

is that enough proof

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark_Ace
I think, therefore I am

is that enough proof

Don't be fooled with that old philosophy, therefore no.

Read other posts in the thread and see the problem of "proving" that statement.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark_Ace

How we do know you think? Really and truly know.
We could take your word for it, but you could be lying.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
No, actually I'm dead and now I'm a walking zombie.

Of course I exist, unless of course you have a different definition of 'existence'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join