It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music affecting your Moods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Do you believe that Music can affect your Moods? I think Music and other outside influences can affect the way we feel...

You know when you're having a great day: (You got paid, you're car is washed, You're friends are getting along, You aced that last exam etc...) and so you hop in your car, and the song on the radio is a great mood lifting song. (Panama - Van Halen, Beautiful Day - U2, Disintigration - The Cure etc...) Life is perfect! You're on top of the world!

Or....

You're having an awful day: (and if you hit one more red light on the way home, or have to talk to that annoying person from work for 5 more seconds, or damn...that's a sweet parking ticket on your car....). And all you want, is to listen to some angry music. Something Loud. Vulgar. Rude. Something that makes it feel like, someone is having a worse day than you. So you listen to something like Black Sabbath, or Korn or some other form of loud and angry music.)....

Or....

You know when you broke up with your Boyfriend/Girlfriend? And listened to the entire album of the New Lifehouse CD....on repeat? Or Goo Goo dolls, or some other band, that is littered with Love songs, that makes you want to cry? And you do...you cry like a baby.

I'm certain Music can affect your moods. I know, when I'm in a certain mood, and the right type of music isn't on, I need to hear it. I need to listen to it. If I don't, I feel like nothing is right in my world. I need to hear Hendrix bend those guitar strings, or I need to hear some blues, or sometimes I need a sad song...I need to hear that heart-wrenching version of "Statisfaction" by Cat Power...

So...I want to know...what songs...do you need to listen to, that you know affect your moods....and can either encourage a bad mood, or can enhance your good moods...

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Great topic CA!

I do believe this for sure. From personal experience sad music can make you melancholy...rockin' music can fire you up, we all probably experience this.

If anyone out there has ever bartended, you will know that you can load the jukebox up with kickin' arse songs or get the DJ to play a list etc..specifically to "manipulate" the crowd into drinking more, faster and everyone has a way better time, then if they just sit, staring at the TV's all over the place.

In the bar scenario, I have found that, depending on the age of the crowd...
you have to pick and choose for that age group....

I could name a whole bunch of songs depending on age group that get people fired up...and I think music obviously has more of an affect on people when they are drinking too...but anyway, great thread

[edit on 4-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Death metal makes me happy, am I strange?

seriously though if I'm in a good mood I'm likely to plug in my mic turn on my amp and belt out a few death metal/metalcore songs till my throat hurts.

If I'm angry its normally something like strapping young lad especially the cd alien, that album is sheer anger and frustration.

A chill mood bring out Opeth.

And when I'm feeling Rebellious or drunk its punk rock all the way.(yes I'm a walking stereotype)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Thanks guys!

Exactly LateApexer. Rocking Music can fire you up. It can get you into such a good mood...it feels like nothing will ever be wrong again... I totally understand what your saying with being at a bar. And the kind of music they play to get people fired up and drinking/dancing more. (I have a CD in my car labled "BAR MUSIC", and its mainly my favorite songs for Dancing to at the bar. I listen to it when Im getting ready to head out for the night, or dancing etc...)

LOL IVZM you're not weird if Death metal makes you happy...everyone is different! Its all about what you like...what kind of music makes you happy...or sad lol...

For me...hearing CCR, makes me want to hop in my car, roll down the windows, turn up the volume and drive off in the sunshine...I associate CCR with Summertime...and roadtrips to my Grand Parents House...and Hot Weather.

Hearing Led Zeppelin, makes me want to be in the kitchen cooking up a storm, or baking. Whenever I go home to visit, dad and I make Dinner. And when we cook, we have Zeppelin in the background...

Its interesting how we associate Music with other aspects of our lives...

new topics

top topics

join