It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA Deploys Airport Behavior Screeners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

TSA Deploys Airport Behavior Screeners

www.breitbart.com

To the untrained eye, the man looked like any other traveler as he waited in line at Kennedy Airport. But something about the way he was acting caught the attention of two security screeners.
For 16 minutes, they questioned him, scanned every inch of his body twice with a metal-detecting wand and emptied his carry-on bag onto a table. Out came a car stereo with wires dangling from it.
The man was eventually found to have done nothing wrong and he was sent on his way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.orlandosentinel.com
www.usatoday.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Woman says TSA forced piercings removal
"Im Here To Shoot a Pilot": famed film director held by TSA at LAX for 5 hours

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
And the article goes on to say:

But it's the type of scene that has been unfolding on a regular basis over the past four years at the nation's major airports under a rapidly expanding "behavior detection" program set up by the Transportation Security Administration to spot terrorists or other dangerous air travelers by way of subtle clues in the way they act.

The agency's efforts drew attention this week when screeners trained in behavior detection in Orlando arrested an Army veteran after he tried to check luggage containing pipe bomb-making materials onto a flight to Jamaica.

But that collar was something of a rarity. In the four years since the program was launched, the TSA has yet to encounter any would-be suicide bombers. The most common catches have been people carrying fake IDs.

Of the more than 104,000 air travelers who were plucked out of security lines and subjected to a more intense level of screening because of something suspicious in their demeanor, fewer than 700 were ultimately arrested, officials said.
All emphasis mine

Haven't caught a single would-be suicide bomber in four years.

It must be working.

"We say you look suspicious, and we legally don't have to state a reason for subjecting you to further scrutiny. Now shut up, get in line and bend over."

Here's the key paragraph:

Unlike police officers, who do not have the right to stop someone without cause on the street, TSA agents are legally allowed to thoroughly search someone trying to board a plane and interrogate them at length, even if there is no evidence they have broken any law. Homeland Security officials are pleased enough with the results that they plan to increase the number of behavioral detection officers substantially in the coming months. Today, there are about 1,200 of the agents at 70 large airports. That number is expected to double to 2,400 at 160 airports by September, and grow to 4,000 by mid-2009.
Again, all emphasis mine

They're rather happy with their un-checked powers:

"There's always a reason why you're exhibiting that behavior that catches our attention," Rivera said. "Maybe it's just because you're having problems at home."

And that's apparently a valid reason to violate your rights, "To us, you look sketchy, and it's a secret why we think so.

The word I'm thinking to describe this situation begins with an "F."

No, not that one, we can't say that one here, but it would apply.

The word I'm referring to describes the general direction of the authorities in this country for some time: Fascism.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-4-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
All this stuff is dumb. If i wanted to evoke fear i would blow up the airport not a stupid plane. You could kill 5000x the people that way and never have to pass a single security check . . What rubbish

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is just crazy!! Unlike police officers, who CAN NOT stop you for no reason, these guys CAN?! I am so glad I do not fly, I feel bad for all you people that not only fly here and there for the holidays, but, all the people that fly almost daily.

As I was growing up, I never intentionally "broke" the law, but sometimes you just can't help it. (I'm sure theres plenty of you that no what I mean)
I remember always thinking, "If you didn't do anything wrong, they wont mess with you." Notice I didnt say CANT there. Lol

Wonder how much longer before some special task force with some special name can stop me on the street and question me for no reason because they have special privlages. This is getting stupid.

Stupid typos...lol

[edit on 4/4/2008 by Digital Deviance]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

Agreed, ludicrously dumb, but the idea here, on the part of the TSA/DHS, is to instill this false sense of fear, so as to condition the public to more readily and passively submit to increasingly invasive and dehumanizing procedures.

If they really wanted to stop "terrorists" they'd have devoted more resources to closing our wide open borders, don't you think?

reply to post by Digital Deviance

Originally posted by Digital Deviance
Wonder how much longer before some special task force with some special name can stop me on the street and question me for no reason because they have special privlages. This is getting stupid.

Won't be long now.

Heck, correct me if I'm wrong, but they already can on the subways of New York.

And it'll probably be a private agency like "Blackwater," without any public oversight, that will be the first to be granted these expanded powers.

And yeah, the American public should feel stupid, or at least used for allowing this to happen, as they pilot their SUVs and whine about gas prices.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
reply to post by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

If they really wanted to stop "terrorists" they'd have devoted more resources to closing our wide open borders, don't you think?

You got that right goosdawg...I never even thought about that...using fear to get us to passively submit to more intrusive police-state like actions...while the borders are an open pass to any terrorist or illegal. Unreal.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
haha I always get harassed by cops on the streets for how I look, I just can't wait to see the hell their gonna put me through when I fly out to visit my family this summer

But isn't it sad that all these people they harass are probably just going to visit their families that they haven't seen for awhile. Just regular American citizens going through with their lives but for some reason our government considers them a threat to our national security.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

And yeah, the American public should feel stupid, or at least used for allowing this to happen, as they pilot their SUVs and whine about gas prices.

I couldn't help but notice you said "they", so I'll guess your not in the U.S., not a citizen, or, your an American that is not one of "them".
Not every american is driving SUVs, whining about gas prices while we drive a vehicle that is just rediculous on MPG, or lack there of.
And not every american should feel stupid. The type of people I've described above should feel stupid. Some of us, especially those who are just barly old enough to really get a grasp on whats going on, dont feel stupid.
We feel betrayed, manipulated, and down right tricked. We work or jobs, pay our taxes, obay the law, (mostly) yet we are living paycheck-to-paycheck, hardly able to pay our rent or mortgage wondering how the hell can we change any of this when were locked in this everyday grind.....
Sorry for ranting, but, we are not all SUV driving, whining, sheeple. Some of us are getting pretty f***ed by all of this nonsense as a whole.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital Deviance

Chill, DD, we're both talking about they same selfish, foolish people.

And I see them out and about every time I drive my fuel efficient eleven-year old mini pick-up.

(I lived through the gas lines in the late seventies, rode a motorcycle to cope, and I've never forgotten the hardship that imposed. Try picking up a week's worth of groceries on a bike in the rain!
)

But we (all Americans) are being sold a contrived bill of goods.

"Be afraid of the boogieman, he's going to take away your 'right' to live the 'American lifestyle' of unchecked, unsustainable consumption."

In essence; "Give up your freedoms to be "secure" in your "lifestyle."

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Thanks for the rather cool response to my rant, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I was hoping you'd take no offense, as I meant none. I can't say I'm exactly smart or doing my part to help with anything, as I drive a 2005 Grand Prix GTP. But at least its not an SUV!

My question is: What can the average Joe/Jill do about any of this except plan for the worst and hope for the best?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital Deviance
Thanks for the rather cool response to my rant, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

You're too kind.

Thanks for your input to the thread.

My question is: What can the average Joe/Jill do about any of this except plan for the worst and hope for the best?

That and be aware and involved, and do everything in your power to awaken others, including your "elected' representatives.

Let 'em know if they won't do what we want, we'll find someone who will.

They can't rig every election.

Can they?

So, behavior screening; right or wrong?

Or is it just a pc term for profiling?

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wow, that’s a pretty bold statement on the part of the TSA, ‘more power than the police” I wonder if this is the police this agency is referring to.
28 CFR § 60.
(b) Local Law Enforcement Agencies:
(1) District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department
(2) Law Enforcement Forces and Customs Agencies of Guam, The Virgin Islands, and the Canal Zone.
When Congress writes laws, it basically only effects property owned by the Federal Government. and Federal employees. Congress' authority is at 4 U.S.C. §§ 71 & 72.
Sec. 72. Public offices; at seat of Government
All offices attached to the seat of government shall be exercised in the District of Columbia, and not elsewhere, except as otherwise expressly provided by law.
So with that in mind, lets take a look at some definitions of terms used in the codes to determine the jurisdiction of the TSA, first airports, located in title 49 USC, amended by Senate Bill S. 1447. and House resolution 1086, listed below.

S.1447
Aviation and Transportation Security Act (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate
SEC. 101. TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION.
(a) IN GENERAL- Chapter 1 of title 49, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
`Sec. 114. Transportation Security Administration
`(e) SCREENING OPERATIONS- The Under Secretary shall--
`(1) be responsible for day-to-day Federal security screening operations for passenger air transportation and intrastate air transportation under sections 44901 and 44935;
H.R.1086
Sec. 49101. Findings
`Congress finds that--
`(1) the 2 federally owned airports in the metropolitan area of the District of Columbia constitute an important and growing part of the commerce, transportation, and economic patterns of Virginia, the District of Columbia, and the surrounding region;
`Sec. 49103. Definitions
`In this chapter--
`(1) `Airports Authority' means the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, a public authority created by Virginia and the District of Columbia consistent with the requirements of section 49106 of this title.
Sec. 49106. Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
`(b) GENERAL AUTHORITY- (1) The Airports Authority shall be authorized--
`(A) to acquire, maintain, improve, operate, protect, and promote the Metropolitan Washington Airports for public purposes;
*(note) 44935 deals with screening potential TSA employees, rather lengthy.
That’s it folks. So 4 U.S.C. §§ 72. is correct, the TSA only has authority at the airports located in D.C.
Next, lets look at who can be screened
TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE VII--AVIATION PROGRAMS

PART A--AIR COMMERCE AND SAFETY

subpart i--general

CHAPTER 401--GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 40118. Government-financed air transportation
Sec. 40118. Government-financed air transportation

(a) Transportation by Air Carriers Holding Certificates.--A
department, agency, or instrumentality of the United States Government
shall take necessary steps to ensure that the transportation of
passengers and property by air is provided by an air carrier holding a
certificate under section 41102 of this title if--
(1) the department, agency, or instrumentality--
(A) obtains the transportation for itself or in carrying out
an arrangement under which payment is made by the Government or
payment is made from amounts provided for the use of the
Government; or
(B) provides the transportation to or for a foreign country
or international or other organization without reimbursement;

SEC. 606. CHARTER SECURITY.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Section 44903 is amended by adding at the
end the following:
‘‘(l) AIR CHARTER PROGRAM.—
‘‘(1) IN GENERAL.—The Under Secretary for Border and
Transportation Security of the Department of Homeland Security
shall implement an aviation security program for charter
air carriers (as defined in section 40102(a)) with a maximum
certificated takeoff weight of more than 12,500 pounds.
‘‘(2) EXEMPTION FOR ARMED FORCES CHARTERS.—
‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—Paragraph (1) and the other requirements
of this chapter do not apply to passengers and property
carried by aircraft when employed to provide charter
transportation to members of the armed forces.
‘‘(B) SECURITY PROCEDURES.—The Secretary of Defense,
in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security
and the Secretary of Transportation, shall establish security
procedures relating to the operation of aircraft when
employed to provide charter transportation to members
of the armed forces to or from an airport described in
section 44903(c).
‘‘(C) ARMED FORCES DEFINED.—In this paragraph, the
term ‘armed forces’ has the meaning given that term by
section 101(a)(4) of title 10.’’.
(b) REPEAL.—Section 132 of the Aviation and Transportation
Security Act (49 U.S.C. 44944 note) is repealed.
SEC. 607. CAPPS2.
(a) IN GENERAL.—The Under Secretary for Border and
Transportation Security of the Department of Homeland Security
shall not implement, on other than a test basis, the computer
assisted passenger prescreening system (commonly known as and
in this section referred to as ‘‘CAPPS2’’) until the Under Secretary
provides to Congress a certification that—
(1) a procedure is established enabling airline passengers,
who are delayed or prohibited from boarding a flight because
CAPPS2 determined that they might pose a security threat,
Certification.
49 USC 44903
note.
49 USC 44903
________________________________________________________________________UT onlyL176

The only passengers subject to screening by the TSA are those that are boarding a Chartered Aircraft by the federal government.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

You're right about that goosdawg.

It's this loss of basic rights that is the most upsetting. We're in Orwellian times and less Freedom is supposed to make us more Free. Yeah, right.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Historically, secret police start in just this manner. They are first introduced to fit a specific need at a specific place and time. Then they evolve into general use as their "need" is deemed appropriate in other areas.

How long before certain Ubber Politzi are working in a town near you, "protecting" your schools, your ballgames, your workplace? Just as the military has never had a weapon it didn't use, police agencies have never had an approved method they haven't expanded to every nook and cranny of life.

new topics

top topics

join