It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A site or something?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hello ATS peeps, i need a website or something that can help me learn (or something like that) to grow my own food (harvesting). I know you seeds and such but i need an explanation on how and what, and also I need to what kinds of source of heat/lamp and etc.

Any website will be fine, thank you!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hey adkchamp,

There are lots of good threads here in the survival forum people have made about farming, whether it is traditional raising of crops, "stealth farming", or eating wild plants.

However, there isn't a lot of information regarding what tools you need and how to use them when I looked for them.

A quick Google search will find most of the information you want, but really you don't even need to. From my own personal experience, learning to garden is a lot easier than you expect. Basically you go to a store and buy a seed packet, follow the instructions on the packet and plant them, water them occasionally and they'll do the rest.

Here are some sites to check out though

www.backyardgardener.com...

If you want some chickens, backyardchickens.com...

www.librum.us... has many good PDFs on subjects like that, although some are a bit outdated.

[edit on 4/4/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
ty man for the info...all i need is some info not tools on like chemical/biological use and stuff

i appreciate it, thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Exactly what I was thinking about, incase something does happen. Luckily I grew up on a farm until the age of 4. I helped plant and grow some things.
Nice thread

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
To tell you the truth, unless your buying in mass quantity, then most seed
bags have planting directions i.e.: depth, amount of sunlight, weather for growing etc.. But the absolute best favor any planter can do for themselves is get you a good trusty farmers almanac, farmers all over the world have trusted those things for hundreds maybe even a thousand years and i havent known them to fail very much yet. Really amazing little books considering all the information they contain using such "ancient" methodology, although im sure the methods they use to reach their results is alot more hight tech now

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

If you're wanting to use fertilizers on your crops and willing to give it a go, have a look at this for a start... Using human urine as a liquid fertilizer...its totally free and you'll be putting something back that you take from the earth anyway.

Wee
use this method on my folks' allotment and it really does make one hell of a difference to the yield of most veg crops!

[edit on 6-4-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

ya your very right about that, one of my horticultural friends had a big compost pile and he told us that no one was alowed to pee inside for a week because he needed the vitamin B12 in the compost pile i guess

but if i had to recommend a good fertilizer for planting yes use something natural i.e: manure based fertilizer because if your not in an area where water is readily availabele all your gonna do is burn up those plants with all the stuff in man-made fertilizer (well i guess its all man made lol but you get my drift) or buy one that doesnt require watering it down for too long after you spread it

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by adkchamp

Champ if your serious about growing your own food you need to buy heirloom seeds.Heirloom plants have not been hybridized,so you can save your own seed back for next years planting.A good source for heirloom seeds is www.cooksgarden.com

They also have books available on planting and raising a garden

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
ty very much guys...no but i think everyone should consider this if anyone wants to survive. Especially in the U.S. The food crisis is only gonna get worse and money won't save us now....ty again

top topics

join