It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. B-1 bomber explodes on landing in Qatar: Jazeera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

B-1 plane catches fire in Qatar

news.bbc.co.uk

The crew of a US B-1 bomber aircraft are safe after their plane caught fire in an incident in Qatar, the US air force has said.
The long-range bomber was "involved in a ground incident and caught fire" at Al-Udeid Air Base, Qatar, an air force statement said.

A defence official had earlier told Reuters news agency the plane crashed.
(visit the link for the full news article)
news.bbc.co.uk

Previous new article:

Originally posted by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR
news.yahoo.com...

DUBAI (Reuters) - A U.S. B-1 bomber exploded while landing in a Qatari air base due to a technical fault on Friday, Qatar-based Al Jazeera television reported.
ADVERTISEMENT

The television station did not say if anyone was hurt in the incident at the Al Udeid air base south of the Qatari capital Doha. It said earlier a B-52 plane had exploded.

A U.S. air force spokesman said he had no immediate report of such an incident and would check.

Al Udeid is used by U.S. forces in the Gulf Arab country, which hosted the advance headquarters of the U.S.-led forces in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Mod edit: For clarity

[edit on 4/4/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yikes! I saw the report on CNN or MSNBC and was suprised its not here.

(visit the link for the full news article)

They said BREAKING NEWS with the big screen and talked about a B52 blowing up at landing in Qatar. Then the went to the tornado story.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by stikkinikki]

WEIRD! No news of it on the web yet. Did anyone else see this report? It was about 1/2 an hour ago by now.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

DUBAI (Reuters) - A U.S. B-1 bomber exploded while landing in a Qatari air base due to a technical fault on Friday, Qatar-based Al Jazeera television reported.
ADVERTISEMENT

The television station did not say if anyone was hurt in the incident at the Al Udeid air base south of the Qatari capital Doha. It said earlier a B-52 plane had exploded.

A U.S. air force spokesman said he had no immediate report of such an incident and would check.

Al Udeid is used by U.S. forces in the Gulf Arab country, which hosted the advance headquarters of the U.S.-led forces in the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Is the only thing i could find . Posted 10 minutes ago on yahoo.

You can use this in the OP if you want.

Alt source saying b52
www.alertnet.org (cant post full link or it makes the page 2 miles wide)

[edit on 4-4-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Thanks! This should be all over the news. CNN said "blows up" and this one says explodes. That is different from a crash perhaps?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Looks like B-1's will be pulled this after the crash at Diego Garcia a couple weeks ago.....

Exploded is not good, this means more then likely on board ordinance exploded in the bay on landing from a failed to drop bomb being left partially attached in the weapons bay. I am going to have a guess and say it was a Jdam or SJDAM (Sat version what ever is real name is) that got hung up going out and on landing, blamo, big explosion.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by robertfenix]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Not sure . Both stories i could find saying different types of planes are worded exactly the same except the plane style .Maybe someone can dig up an alternate source , Or we play the waiting game . It happens with breaking news.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Headline News just reported a B-1 crashed in Qatar. Maybe an electrical problem. That's it.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by Tuebor]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
Looks like B-1's will be pulled this after the crash at Diego Garcia a couple weeks ago.....

Exploded is not good, this means more then likely on board ordinance exploded in the bay on landing from a failed to drop bomb being left partially attached in the weapons bay. I am going to have a guess and say it was a Jdam or SJDAM (Sat version what ever is real name is) that got hung up going out and on landing, blamo, big explosion.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by robertfenix]

Wouldn't they know if the ordinance hadn't dropped? They must have a feed of the bomb bays.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Here's the cnn article

B-1 Bomber Crashes in Qatar

Initial reports are that the bomber crashed at al-Udeid Air Base, headquarters of all American air operations in the Middle East.

Tela

[edit on 4/4/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
B-1 bomber crashes in Qatar
thats from cnn
www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
BBc seem to have a bit more info on this now BBC News

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wow, I worked next to the B-1 Squadron in Mtn Home, They are big beasts, specialy watching a burner check, made the f-16s seem so small yet that dwarfed me hahah an these things fly! lol Scurry.....

Most likely its the electrical prob, think of it this way, the f-16 has about 3 miles of wiring inside it, whatcha think the b-1 has..... lol Most surely thats always a issue with jets...

I can't remember But i think the b-1 has a toilet onboard..... might of been the c-135's oh well...

Over an Out

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

the ironic thing about this is i thought Mostly russain tec
that did this.

every month or week we seem to be getting some sort of news that a US product has Failed or crashed

so its f-22,f-14,B-2 and this
wounder which other air craft will join the List

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
so its f-22,f-14,B-2 and this
wounder which other air craft will join the List

Actually, scratch that, you're right, an F-22 did crash. I was wrong.

The F-15, F-16 and F-18 have crashed as well.

F-22
F-18
F-16
F-15

[edit on 4/4/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It didn't crash or explode. It caught fire while on the taxiway after landing. The crew evacuated and no one was injured. No word yet on cause, or how much damage to the aircraft. As for a B-52 that sounds like they just couldn't make up their mind what kind of plane it was.

A US Air Force Rockwell/North American B-1B bomber was damaged after catching fire on a runway late today in Qatar.

“A US Air Force B-1, while taxiing after landing at al-Udeid Air Base, Qatar, was involved in a ground incident and caught fire,” a spokesman for the Coalition Air Operations Center at the base told FlightGlobal.com.

Source

It's the third landing incident in a month involving a B-1. One landed in Guam with an emergency and rolled into two fire trucks. Another landed at Ellsworth AFB, and several grass fires started after it landed.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

They are airplanes built by humans. Airplanes crash. It happens. The average age of the planes mentioned, with the exception of the F-22 is over 10 years, and in one case, is almost 26 years old. The F-22 that crashed was an operational conversion aircraft, and it was pilot error. He failed to reset the computers after power was diconnected for a couple of seconds.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

i was reading a topic
and it was on about RAM and how it peals off
aswell which is defect in the f-22

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Only in the first 30 airframes. The rest of them don't have the same problem. They fixed it from 31, until the last one they build. Yes, 30 is quite a few airframes, when you're talking only having 183, but it's still a managable number.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

and considering the cost of each plane
what are the chances there is another flaw and its in more

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Considering they went operational in 2004, and have had a phenominal success rate in exercises, and have had ONE Class A accident in that time, I doubt they have another flaw in them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join