It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilotless Drones to Battle Pot Growers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Pilotless Drones to Battle Pot Growers

abcnews.go.com

The U.S. Forest Service has bought a pair of flying drones to track down marijuana growers operating in remote California woodlands.

Agriculture Undersecretary Mark Rey, who oversees the Forest Service, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the pilotless, camera-equipped aircraft will allow law enforcement officers to pinpoint marijuana fields and size up potential dangers before agents attempt arrests.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Wouldn't make more sense for the local police to have drones instead of the forest service. I mean its coming to the point that every government state or city offical will have one in there garage befor to long. What ever happened to shared resources.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
All i have to say is "From my cold dead hands" Besides . I'm an indoor kinda guy

Any who. Looks like its time to get radio jamming tech in the field. I bet they would be totally freaked if every time they took it out it crashed .. A car battery could run a decent jammer for around a week. Just have to have like 3 batteries for each jammer. But i don't want this to go to rats . So the rest is imagination time.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What a titanic waste of taxpayer dollars...Meanwhile the CIA is importing in how many thousands of lbs of Coke and Opium regularly?...Guess they're trying to quelch any competition.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Star'd & Flagged!

Waste of time, again, by the insane au6tho6rit6ies !

Like anything else, bust one; ten more pop-up! It's a LOSING battle.
Same as the "war on drugs". A total failure. Convicting and imprisoning
good Americans for no good reason.

Marijuana produces fresh oxygen while growing, at the same time, eats
CO2. Cover the land with it, i say, and help our fragile atmosphere!

Decent snippet: War on a plant

[edit on 4/4/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
New targets in the sky to shoot at...oh boy!

These are gonna be a real pain in da butt for those Guerilla growers.

I wonder in what form of data do they transmit? Could it be skimmed to provide others with what it relays back to homebase? Do they emit any radio fields that could be traced for early warning to a flyover?

Lotsa fun gonna go down around here, Norcal and Soregon have had most of the largest crops discovered in the country! Better keep my eye on the news.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
What a waste of taxpayer dollars. Marijuana has been proved to be nothing more than a way to get high. As long as it is not altered, such as adding in other drugs, it has no long term health effects. Even if it does, such as possibly for asthmatic people, its no worse than cigarettes.

I still think that marijuana is illegal because it can't be taxed.

But back on topic, this is a complete waste of money and resources. I mean, drones? Are you serious? In the great ol' United States? In this "free country"?

Its like they have to keep an eye on everything we do. And people accept it with open arms.

You create a controversial problem, get a reaction out of the masses and introduce a solution that protects them all, and they accept it. Doesn't matter what freedoms it sacrifices, doesn't matter how much it costs them, as long as the big bad controversial problem is solved, its all A-OK!

my edit: added some content to my argument

mod edit: inappropriate picture removed

[edit on 4-4-2008 by chissler]

[edit on 4/4/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm sure there will be growers setting up long range rifles to blow drone out of sky,I've heard they are a ruthless bunch and if you mistakenly step in their growing area you might not get out alive

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
What a titanic waste of taxpayer dollars...Meanwhile the CIA is importing in how many thousands of lbs of Coke and Opium regularly?...Guess they're trying to quelch any competition.

You got it all wrong. The CIA is using money from imported coc aine to pay for the drones! It's not a waste of taxpayer money because the CIA is using the drug money to increase overall profits by observing the marijuna fields so nobody comes in and steals the weed.

The whole story about drones being used to find weed is just a propaganda coverup campaign for CIA drug growing.

Jesus, you are shortsighted for a conspiracy theorist!

Actually, this probably isn't about marijuna growing per say, but more about drug cartels growing large fields of marijuna in NATIONAL FORESTS and disturbing the ecosystems of these protected lands. This is probably more about the earth and preserving nature than it is about CRACKING DOWN ON YOUR RIGHT TO GROW POT.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

I think you figured it out the CIA has them hidden under the assumed name of Department of Forestry, and using them to protect the borders of there pot grow fields.

I don't know it sounds a little far fetched.

I think the government is just to damn stupid to know that its waste of tax payers money. They think the feds just make money out of thin air. Which they do but at the tax payers expence as the value of the dollar falls. The current government is just dumb enough to order a fleet of them for polar bear watches to see if the polar bear is going extinct from global warming. The wasteful spending is crazy anymore.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
No no no, you guys have it all wrong. Really, these are not drones, it is a preemptive strike to have an excuse for things to fly around in the sky. The government is merely getting ahead of the aliens, his way they can say "No, it's the drug seeking drones you saw Mr. Jones, not little green men in saucers."

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

I would have to agree with you on the reasoning behind this.

It is not about busting pot growers per say, but more about protecting the forests and those who hike through them. As has been mentioned those who are growing fields in areas like this tend to protect their crop. People get killed/hurt, forest gets damaged, and animals are killed/hurt as well.

Think about it if you are growing a field that could potentially be worth enough to buy a car or house would you not be doing something to protect your money?

If you chose to grow do it in a way that is safe for everything and everyone. Like the indoor suggestion.

Somehow I think this thread will end up closed though because it will turn into a personal usage thing by the end.

Raist

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I wonder if one of those Orgone Chem/Cloud busters would screw up it's search abilities?

Here is a page from Hooten website on how to make one:
www.hootenization.com...

I hear they have the ability to mess up radar..... ?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

"the pilotless, camera-equipped aircraft will allow law enforcement officers to pinpoint marijuana fields and size up potential dangers before agents attempt arrests. "

Seems to me Drones are not much different than "Geese".

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
While I disagree with privacy being invaded, I'd have to say I think pot is pointless. All it does is make you wanna do nothing, it makes you alright with wasting your life (so does the internet lol). It's a counter productive drug and it gets some people high to the point where it makes them dangerous on the road. I'm anti-weed, it's just not a good idea, it's what made one of the companies I worked for go down the drain, everyone there was smoking it up so much, the company went under from unproductivness.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
While I disagree with privacy being invaded, I'd have to say I think pot is pointless. All it does is make you wanna do nothing, it makes you alright with wasting your life (so does the internet lol). It's a counter productive drug and it gets some people high to the point where it makes them dangerous on the road. I'm anti-weed, it's just not a good idea, it's what made one of the companies I worked for go down the drain, everyone there was smoking it up so much, the company went under from unproductivness.

pot is harmless, unless you decide to let it control your life. people who do are just missing out on all the other fun things in life. and anyone dumb enough to drive while stoned is just as stupid as drunk drivers.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
indeed, its not like your born with it growing off your forehead.... You have a choice.... an if you choose to waste your life an your money an lose your job or whatnot, thats your choice too, But in no means did the substance MAKE you do anything, You did.

therefore Humans should be illegal.

We are dangerous, we kill people, we are sold for money on the street or bartered for other gateway experiences.... We are bred just to be used an used again, we cause car accidents,

I mean nuff said right..... I could argue Humans are the reason Hate is an emotion as well...... Everyone can argue, Becuz not everyone can Understand...... At least not in this pickled version of life.

Flipin petarded...... the drones are just planes, honestly i'd rather these things be up there, then men, not to mention they can help spot wildfires, missing persons ( like that lil boy who was lost a hile back ), an other situations that might need further attention.....

Plus they are only a bullets throw of Landing......

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Hey, Oldtimer2, -

You're probably right about some growers, acting that way, if their intent
for growing marijuana is purely monetary.

I noticed your location as So. Cal.; I lived in Topanga Canyon, Cal. for a
couple years, and wonder if you ever heard of the "Creekers"? Just a
group of peaceful, fun-loving hippy-types, living off the land, down near
the tributary creeks in the canyons.

They grow mj for the pleasure, and sure they sell some, but mostly give
it away in exchange for rides uptown, or food & drink, or barter, and
would never get violent over the discovery of some plants.

I knew them, and surely they would look up at a drone flying overhead,
and smile, wave, and give the peace sign to it!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by Mr. Ree

It is not about busting pot growers per say, but more about protecting the forests and those who hike through them. As has been mentioned those who are growing fields in areas like this tend to protect their crop. People get killed/hurt, forest gets damaged, and animals are killed/hurt as well.

Do you think the government really cares about people getting hurt killed hiking through the forest? The chances of that are slim, because these are remote areas, not areas right on hiking trails. Secondly, they don't care about the forest getting damaged, because if a developer wants to build a subdivision in that forest, you bet they will approve that in a heart beat, more tax dollars and income.

It doesn't come down to personal safety or the environment, but strictly money to be made on the situation.

Just like where I live they have 2 red light cameras up generating a million dollars a piece annually. Now they want to install 20 more for peoples "personal safety"......right

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I agree it's nothing to do with protecting hikers or doing our country any good. Just further waste of our money.

It's about revenue collection and instead of managing the forest correctly as they have cut & sold off more trees quickly than it grew back, so now they need something else to do to create revenue and justify there continued existence & growth.

Do these UAV's have remote control capability or are they on a closed fixed program? If remote controlled I would expect to see some hackers reroute them & hijack them. I'm sure shooting them down or stealing them will eventually carry a kidnapping an LEO' charge or Killing a LEO like they do with K9's.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join