It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salyut 6 UFO Sighting..interesting indeed

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot
Since the Salyut case is still unsolved and people seem to find it interesting, and wiki will not keep it up where can someone put it? :

What "Salyut case".

You mean the story attributed by 'Sightings' to Afanasyev?

Since EVERYTHING they said about his space mission was erroneous,
WHAT aspect of their story DO you believe?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Story has no problem believing in alien civilizations loose in the galaxy. He just says he hasn't seen any evidence they're visiting Earth. How hard is that to believe he's telling his true opinion?

Well it is hard when he talks about snakes chasing his spacecraft and the image shows a hose

How is that any different from the live 'space serpents' Jose Escamilla speaks about? And we all know what that did to his rep

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

JimO: My impression this is a reneactment by the cvideo producers, not an original air/ground tape.

some sloppy (bogus) video descriptions
01:10 -- Discusses ‘orbital station Salyut-6’ but shows Mir
01:55 – Shows STS-48 zigzagger video, describing it as Salyut-6 view

02:20 following – Grechko describes his ‘UFO’, jettisoned trash bags
02:40 more shuttle videos
History of UFOs
Aleksandr Plaksin shows up

21:40 aerial view of Plesetsk rocket base
22:30 Voronezh air base -- Borisoglebsk… NLO sketch – spiral and “ < “
I think he’s saying – in the middle of 1984… several times….

JimOberg would you be kind enough to give a small description of what is said after 08:00 while a sketch of 3 suited men is shown at the video?
edit on 13-11-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Since the Salyut case is still unsolved and people seem to find it interesting, and wiki will not keep it up where can someone put it? :

What "Salyut case".

You mean the story attributed by 'Sightings' to Afanasyev?

Since EVERYTHING they said about his space mission was erroneous,
WHAT aspect of their story DO you believe?

This Salyut case:

reply to post by JimOberg

Originally posted by skept!cal
now my understanding from reading the info which i have is that this took place in 1981, but i just found another article that says something about 1979? So is there 2 different sightings from Salyut 6? heres the article if someone knows and could share a lil info that would be great

Cosmonaut Victor Afanasyev
"It followed us during half of our orbit.---
Afanasyev commenting on a UFO sighting that occurred while en route to the Solyut 6 space station in April of 1979.

Did anybody find this following datum?

www.spacefacts.de...

Colonel, Russian Air Force; Graduated from Kachynskoye Military Pilot School in 1970 and the Ordzhonikidze Aviation Institute, Moscow, in 1980; test pilot; was selected on 02.09.1985 from GKNII-2 for Buran-flights; 1988 TsPK-9; OKP (cosmonaut basic training): 11/85 - 12/87

No. Mission Job Time Duration
1 Soyuz TM-11 / MIR-8
Commander 02.12.1990 - 26.05.1991 175d 01h 50m
2 Soyuz TM-18 / MIR-15
Commander 08.01.1994 - 09.07.1994 182d 00h 27m
3 Soyuz TM-29 / MIR-27
Commander 20.02.1999 - 28.08.1999 188d 20h 17m
4 Soyuz TM-33 / Soyuz TM-32
Commander 21.10.2001 - 31.10.2001 9d 19h 59m

Seems to me, the official record claims Afanasyev NEVER flew to the Salyut-6, and wasn't even a cosmonaut during that period. Could he have been on some secret space team, and had his records changed after the UFO encounter?

Or is there some other explanation?

JimOberg This is the sighting the thread is referring to:

Between May 14 and May 18, 1981, cosmonauts Vladimir Kovalyonok and Viktor Savinykh supposedly established a contact with an object of unknown origin while working at the Salyut 6 orbital station.

More precisely a 45 minutes footage which one of the onboard astronauts Vladimir Kovalyonok has filmed about the sighting.
IMO believe it has not seen the light of day yet neither anything similar might have been converted to a digital format yet.
I do hope they know where it is, whoever are in charge of it and not let it get lost or get destroyed by negligence.

And a note to whoever created the wiki page (which was the initial reference for this thread):

This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page. * It needs additional references or sources for verification. Tagged since March 2009. * It resembles a fan site. Tagged since March 2009. * It describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style that may require cleanup. Tagged since March 2009. * It is in need of attention from an expert on the subject. may be able to help recruit one. Tagged since March 2009.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-6-2009 by spacebot]

The Afanasyev story led the thread, and I posted documented evidence about his career that made the story factually impossible. Can anyone explain why people STILL want to believe it?

Sorry but the actual rumors about the sighting, some articles some of us had read in paranormal magazines and the wiki is what inspired the thread from what I can tell.
What does any Afanasiyev has to do with this?

en.wikipedia.org...

Ctrl+F in the above link which is the original wiki the thread is dealing about, will you find any Afanasiyev in there? I didn't.
Also I don't think anyone is "believing" anything. If personally believed in something I wouldn't post on a thread about it. We research about things that interest us.
Does a doctor "believe" in the symptoms he is able to cure, while he is checking out his patients? No. He just has knowledge about them, which also sometimes can be vague if it is about a new symptom and also does research for them.
Anything out of normality needs to be checked out the same way. Clearly something is happening and we need to look for it to find answers. Also there can be no "Why" you do this. We simply do it because we like it.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by spacebot]

Afanasiyev claims he was onboard a resupply capsule TRANSITING to Salyut 6 and that HE TOO saw same objects as the crew of the Salyut 6 did, but he did on another date. He later retracted his statements, Yet HIS story (Afanasiyev's) NOT the original crew ONBOARD Salyut 6 orbit station already circulated on many mouths and probably publications one of which it was the "Sightings" you refer to.

Since Afanasiyev like later discovered never actually took part even in the resupply trip (that he mentions) to the Salyut 6 station, let alone he WAS NOT in the station during the sighting, why should we care what he says?
Why should we label the:

"Cosmonaut Major General Vladimir Kovalyonok, had an encounter during the Saljut VI Mission in 1981"

as bogus because of what Afanasiyev says?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Afanasiyev claims he was onboard a resupply capsule TRANSITING to Salyut 6 and that HE TOO saw same objects as the crew of the Salyut 6 did, but he did on another date. He later retracted his statements, ...

That's not the way it looks to me. I have never seen anywhere, English or Russian, where Afanasyev made that claim. Only 'Sightings' made that claim. Nor have I ever seen any retraction by Afanasyev about a statement he never made.

The important point to me is that when EVERY checkable claim in the 'Sightings' narration can be shown to be incorrect, how can any OTHER 'facts' they present -- they, not Afanasyev, whose own statements are only background Russian words too soft to understand -- be accepted SOLELY on their say-so? I've tried to find Russian-language written comments attributable to Afanasyev on yandex.ru and google searches and so far have drawn a blank.

The entire 'Afanasyev UFO' rests on the credibility of the 'Sightings' TV show, And their track record of claimed facts regarding his space career is batting 000.

Yet HIS story (Afanasiyev's) NOT the original crew ONBOARD Salyut 6 orbit station already circulated on many mouths and probably publications one of which it was the "Sightings" you refer to.

Please cite any other, not directly derived from the 'Sightings' show.

Since Afanasiyev like later discovered never actually took part even in the resupply trip (that he mentions) to the Salyut 6 station, let alone he WAS NOT in the station during the sighting, why should we care what he says?

Nice attitude toward evidence and to the revelation of phoniness of previously-hyped evidence.

Why should we label the: "Cosmonaut Major General Vladimir Kovalyonok, had an encounter during the Saljut VI Mission in 1981" as bogus because of what Afanasiyev says?

By no means and I hope my own comments weren't so garbled that you attribute this view to me.

Regarding Kovalyonok, what kind of investigation do you suggest is needed to validate the story and put the events in context? None?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well I was drawn in to researching this sighting many years ago probably long before Sightings took it to interest. probably even before Afanasyev made any claims too and long before the Internet existed. My search is not taking in the "Sightings" naration of the events since the story surfaced in the paranormal press before a long time ago and I was impressed by this thread because it kept the search for the truth still alive.
My hope in participating in this discussion was that this video existed somewhere or at least some more details about it in the Russian press that never made it over to the English speaking public and that something would be made known from the Russian side in case someone in the know from over there was watching the thread.
I agree about the Afanasyev UFO and Sightings credibility although in this thread it have been made to look like they have an important role to play in the original sighting made by Kovalyonok and i disagree with that. Salyut 6 case still stands regardless of Afanasiyev claims or not, at least in the part that is the Kovalyonok's account. though the schematic, the one with craft with the aerodynamic fuselage seemed very intriguing since it resembled something like an X-43 type of aircraft but this one launched from another vehicle at the top of the atmosphere and seemed capable of space orbital flight.

Regarding Kovalyonok I haven't made up my mind for any suggestions regarding the type of investigation that is needed. I guess, we wait and see what surfaces, if anything. Though I am puzzled why only Afanasyev gained some air time by western media and not Kovalyonok too. kind to think of it he didn't get much attention even from the Russian media.
edit on 13-11-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I really want to thank those who posted and then urged me to watch that Russian video. The images posted with the pilot testimonials fall into a well-familiar family of 'jellyfish' streamer UFOs we've all seen videos of -- caused by Russian rocket launches. The program, attempting to prove the reality of UFOs, actually provided more evidence of how the major UFO cases in Russia over the last fifty years have been sparked by secret space and missile events there. Sad, and even a bit silly -- but as long as ufology doesn't even acknowledge this, it will remain sad and silly as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The images posted with the pilot testimonials fall into a well-familiar family of 'jellyfish' streamer UFOs we've all seen videos of --

Kewl
So the Russians have seen CRITTERS too...

But Story Musgrave talking about snakes chasing his space craft...

That's too much even for me

edit on 16-11-2010 by zorgon because: ArMaP did it!!

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Revisit this

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
Revisit this

Why? You into undead zombie theories?

Actually, I've done some new work on the Kovalyonok story and have begun wondering what its connection was to the south african missile base he was flying over at the time of the sighting.

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: skept!cal

Sounds like something A***o was talking about if you ask me

posted on Jul, 19 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

uh sorry jim
its just so interesting

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
a reply to: JimOberg

uh sorry jim
its just so interesting

The Afanasyev story, as they all do, has revived, once folks forgot about the original debunking....

Does anybody know when the 'Sightings' episode about him first aired, on what network?

Video: www.youtube.com...

Earlier discussion on ATM: www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join