Claudette Souchon

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
First off, an apology. I have no idea where to put this thread so I hope I've chosen the correct board. Mods; please move it as you see fit.

I am relying on the vast knowledge accumulated here in ATS to help me in researching the subject of this thread, Claudette Souchon, who was involved in a strange missing person search back in the 1970's (I don't have an exact date).

I have tried doing research on the web, but have only come up with blanks. Typing in her name, and any relevant details, comes up with zilch. Either the case is too old or too obscure to have been deemed worthy of uploading. Even searching the websites of various mainstream paranormal/earth mysteries/ufo magazines supplied no more information. I have contacted someone who I believe is the author of an article about her published in the Fortean Times in March, 1978. As yet, I have received no reply.

So, ATS, in the mean time, what can you do?

Here's as much info as I have at present:

Claudette Souchon departed for a solo, two day riding trek into the Camargue region of southern France. She took two horses and her pet dog.

Three days passed and she had not returned, so a search party consisting of some thirty people was despatched to find her.

Two days later they discovered one of her horses, dead. It had been "savagely" ripped open.

The following day her spare horse was found. It was alive, but so frightened or traumatised that apparently it could not walk.

On the fifth day, the search party found some of Claudette's clothing scattered in a clearing that had been burnt out.

Another two days passed, and finally they found Claudette near the town of Rodez. She was sitting on the ground, immobile, and smeared in mud. Her dog was still with her, but could not move as it was completely exhausted. The woman had no obvious signs of assault, but could not explain her condition as "she had been turned into something approaching a zombie".

The reason I want to research this case is that there's something about this terrible episode that fascinates me.
As far as is known, the cause of her disappearance and subsequent condition when found is still unknown, and as far as I am aware, Ms Souchon has never spoken of it.

Whilst the actual outcome of this event may well prove to have a far more mundane, but obviously none the less awful explanation, the circumstances do seem to suggest, IMO, something odd.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
This case is either very cold, way too obscure, or I've placed it in the wrong board.

MODS: can you please move this to the paranormal board? Maybe I'll get some reaction there. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I'm sorry about the event.

What's IMO mean?
...alien walk-in?
...mind control experiment victim?
...psychic invasion?

What are the exact details of the condition of her body?

What is the investigating police body, and what is their conclusion?

Are you a relative, why are you inquiring?

What was her job?

What is her condition NOW?

Have you spoken with her?

What does she say?

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by counterterrorist

Thanks for the reply.

With respect, you seem to be asking all of the questions that I need answering!
If I had that amount of information available to me, I wouldn't have needed to enlist the help of ATS.

Virtually everything that is known about Miss Souchon's experience I have supplied in my OP. What I was hoping for in this thread was that by repeating the known facts, they might have jogged someone's memory of the original report, or even of a follow-up article.

I have been attempting research on the web using all relevant info (and this bears out the fact that this case may be dead in the water), and have discovered, much to my annoyance, that it's my original post that comes up first!

What's IMO mean?
...alien walk-in?
...mind control experiment victim?
...psychic invasion?

IMO means exactly what it says on the tin. I will be making absolutely no assumptions until I have further evidence and information. Even then, a conclusion may well be beyond reach; sometimes strange events just happen, and are never solved.

As I've said previously, I am open to the distinct possibilty that this may prove to be a simple case of assault and will be satisfied, though no less saddened for the victim, if that is the result.

However, the circumstances of what must have been a terrifying sequence of events for Ms Souchon do, IMO, suggest to this fortean that whatever happened to her may have been anomalous.

The search party finding her horse having been killed violently alone indicates we are not dealing with simple pranksters.

Her other horse being found paralyzed with fear also points towards an intense, and again possibly unusual, happening. Though no expert I've ridden horses and therefore know they spook easily. For one to be immobilized by terror would be very unusual.

The "zombie-like" state Ms Souchon was found in also suggests she had been through an immensly traumatic experience, one that literally caused her mind to turn in on itsself. That, above all, makes me want to know what happened, because I feel both sympathy for her and angry at whatever assaulted her.

The story was also originaly deemed strange enough to be reported in the Sunday Express in 1978. It was also the subject of another article in the Fortean Times, again in 1978, by the author Paul Pinn.

I have been incontact with Mr Pinn, and he has very graciously supplied me with all of the contact detail used back in the '70's.

As to the rest of your questions; I simply can't answer them with any satsfaction, yet.

Frustrating, isn't it?

What is the investigating police body, and what is their conclusion?

As far as I know, the case was handled by the Aveyron District Gendarmerie in Rodez. Their conclusion, if any, is what I'm after.

Are you a relative, why are you inquiring?

No. And see above.

What was her job?
What is her condition NOW?
Have you spoken with her?

Haven't a clue about her employment.

As to Ms Souchon's current state of health, indeed even if she is still with us, is again a matter of research. If she is still alive, then she will be around 60 years of age. Any approach I make, to her or her family, will be done with respect. Whatever she went through is still bound to be a painful memory.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
any joy with this?

did you ever get in touch with her or a relative?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by maintainright

Hi maintainright.

The short answer to your questions is that I got no further with my "enquiries" other than possibly tracking down Ms Souchon - who would now be in her sixties - to a managerial post in a French supermarket.

There, I decided to halt my search and for this reason; it occured to me what right did I have to pursue an event that I found fascinating, but to the person it happened to must have been awful.

I have no moral right to potentially ressurect painful and traumatic memories in Ms Souchon, especially just to satisfiy my curiousity. So, end of research...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
thats fair enough

guess it will just need to remain a mystery

new topics
top topics

join