It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Sell 3 Submarines to Venezuela

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Russia to Sell 3 Submarines to Venezuela

hosted.ap.org

MOSCOW (AP) -- Russia will sell three submarines to Venezuela in a deal to be inked when President Hugo Chavez visits next month, a Russian news agency reported Friday.

Interfax cited an unnamed military-industrial official as saying that the subs would be diesel-electric models, of the "Varshavyanka" class, known under NATO terms as a Kilo-class sub.

A spokesman for state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport had no comment; no one answered the phones at the Venezuelan Embassy in Moscow

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit: Fixed link

[edit on 4/4/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
It appears that Chavez is following through on his plans to purchase nine submarines for their navy.

According to the article, Caracas has already purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of $3 billion in arms from Russia, which include military helicopters, Kalashnikov rifles, Sukhoi fighter jets and other weaponry. Sounds like Chavez is getting ready for a fight.

I Wonder who he fears will invade his country..

hosted.ap.org

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the edit. Somehow I messed up the link when submitting it.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I think Chavez is going to be the one invading.

I mean besides oil venuzuela doesnt have much.

Anyways chavez always seemed kind of crazy.
So who knows.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well, he can buy all the up to date toys he wants. It all depends on how well his troops are trained to fight with them.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
It appears that Chavez is following through on his plans to purchase nine submarines for their navy.

According to the article, Caracas has already purchased somewhere in the neighborhood of $3 billion in arms from Russia, which include military helicopters, Kalashnikov rifles, Sukhoi fighter jets and other weaponry. Sounds like Chavez is getting ready for a fight.

I Wonder who he fears will invade his country..
-------------------------------------
Make no mistake, I like Chavez....but he is shuffling too much attention and to the outsiders he is being portrayed as a villain, but in reality he is just another block of the same deceptive poker game, and who better to obtain deals for the scroundels, than an insider from the outsiders club. This is an old game being replayed for a new audience.

hosted.ap.org

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
He still doesn't offer much of a challenge to superior US Military forces.

Buying Russian made equipment hasn't performed well historically against US Made equipment.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yeah, but the AK-47 and its variants have always been better than our assult rifles. The only thing better about ours is they are more accurate. Ak's are more reliable.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Chavez should be more concerned about Columbia and Brazil than the US.

Just to throw this out, Brazil has an aircraft carrier, several subs, and many other ships of there own. Not big in the whole scheme of things but it's a large enough force to take out the Venezuelan Navy.

Columbia has a large complement of surface "gunboat" type ships but it also a few subs. They also have a history of conflict with Venezuela.

Either of these countries sink a tanker or 2 from Venezuela, and their economy is shut down. Venezuela has a couple of older subs and a small surface fleet. They recently had a dispute that was quickly settled. They probably feel that their equipment is too old to compete with newer military equipment. Now it makes since for Venezuela to upgrade their military.

new topics

top topics

join