It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!! A Robot Army Mule Funded By DARPA!! Check This Out!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
What a bunch of IDIOTS!!! This should be on Americas Funniest Videos. Not HERE. I've seen this act on the streets of SF and other places. Just two guys in a costume.
Now this is real... www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-4-2008 by Muundoggie]

[edit on 5-4-2008 by Muundoggie]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
you're off brother...

Bigdog and Littledog are very real and programmed a few blocks from my home.

Your exoskeleton video was interesting though.

Sri

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Muundoggie

I mentioned along this thread (I think) about mechanized soldiers and my sick thought of having kids control them by playing, what the player thinks, is a video game, when in reality the control the robot on the "battlefield" (or urban street setting)... and then I got this from a reliable friend today...

"The mention of robots being controlled by kids is already a reality. I have a lot of young friends back from Iraq and guess what? Everything, for the most part "felt like a video game" to them. (Direct qoute). There was a story I read about in the mainstream about two years back about a "cyborg" kinda suit they were making for future troops that would regulate body temp and heal wounds! It was like a "smart suit"... and they mentioned that eventually we wouldn't even need real people to fight.
So that's not a maybe... that's already reality. Robo cops and soldiers are the things of the near future."

Sounds alot like what you got going on in that video 'doggie. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry Folks. I saw the "SPOOF" video before seeing the real one. Yep, BigDog and LittleDog are real.
This is BigDog video link
www.youtube.com...
LittleDog video link
www.youtube.com...
These robots are creepy but cool. If they could make them run silent it would be really worthy of tacticle military use.
These things remind me of War of the Worlds fighting machines.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

I can´t be 100% sure because I didn´t saw it but from the noise I´m almost sure that its an ICE, the ICE here is being used as a power source/electric generator, it is connected to a dynamo that probably charges the batteries or directly supplies all the hydraulic pumps and some other electric devices...

Not so much as an ICE in a car would do. this is not a car after all

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I have a confirmation from IHMC; its Internal Combustion powered hydraulic... believed to be 2 stroke; my friend works with Littledog mostly, hence not sure 2 or 4 stoke on Bigdog. Littledog is electronic with electric motors; less robust.

It is my intuition that the end goal is to power these types of robots using micro mechanical amplification devices that harness the thermal expansion of nuclear decay to drive the three control gyroscopes, electronics, and a larger composite flywheel which then compresses air for an on-demand pneumatic artificial muscle (PAMs) system.

google keywords: mems, nuclear battery, radioisotope battery, nano-nuclear, etc.

also google: pnuematic artificial muscle

Weighing in at 2.73 grammes and capable of lifting 1kg means this little air muscle is capable of lifting over 360 times its own weight.

www.stop4stuff.com...

Coupling the energy of a radiation event to the scale of the micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) device provides very efficient power generation.

US Semi Conductor
www.us-semi.com...

Sri Oracle

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Do robots dream of electric sheep?
Why so many April fools this year? It's a bit annoying after a while.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
I have a confirmation from IHMC; its Internal Combustion powered hydraulic... believed to be 2 stroke; my friend works with Littledog mostly, hence not sure 2 or 4 stoke on Bigdog. Littledog is electronic with electric motors; less robust.

The two-stroke ICE used on BigDog could perhaps be a so-called free piston engine that has a set of back-and-forth oscillating pistons without a crankshaft, with the pistons also acting as hydraulic pump pistons that create the hydraulic pressure in a very compact package. In this package the engine and the pump are combined. One example of such an engine is the Sampower engine originally designed by the late inventor Matti Sampo. This free piston engine runs with a basically constant RPM all the time, and this is exactly what the BigDog sounds like!

A free piston engine has some advantages as being very compact, but mainly suitable only for appliances that can utilize hydraulic power that the engine creates. Another downside is that the engine needs a very advanced computer system for precise fuel and air injection to run properly. A quadriped robot like BigDog should easily have enough CPU power for this!

[edit on 8.4.2008 by Doc Lithium]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I had this dream a long time ago, well maybe a year ago, and I remember it was something about an apocalyptic scenario, and I woke up screaming "Somebody's gotta stop DARPA!!!!" and had no idea why or what I was screaming about.

I didn't know much about DARPA, just heard the acronym here and there.

I can't help in comparing DARPA to Cyberdine and Skynet from Terminator now that I know about DARPA's projects. Dude, can we maybe stop this before it starts? I don't like robots. Never have. Can we just get along without robots. Seriously, Terminator, while stylized for a movie audience.... just echos too much in my mind.

I rember seeing T3 and getting chills for some reason, like I was literally seeing a preview of what is to come.

Did I already post in this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join