It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressant Drugs Linked to School Shootings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

www.naturalnews.com

NaturalNews) A parents' rights organization has called on Congress to investigate a potential link between psychiatric drugs and school shootings, and called for parents to be better informed about the risks of such medications. New York-based Ablechild accused the mental health industry of "[continuing] to downplay the risks of drugs widely prescribed to millions."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It's about time. The big pharmas continue to get the populace doped up or should I say "numbed" to what the real problem is. With the recent rises in shootings in general, I am sure the same relationships can be made in a lot if shootings not just school.
It is sad that this continues to happen. Maybe some eyes will be opened by Ablechild.
The question is, whose to blame? The pharmas, or the docs that continue to write the scripts. I am sure they are connected in some way, shape, or form anyways.
Another thing here.....the term disorders. "Oppositional Defiant disorder"? Who the heck came up with that one. I wonder which drug is designed to help with that? Sounds like a mad up reason to put someone on pills.

www.naturalnews.com

[edit on 4/3/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I heard that Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter at Virginia tech, was taking the same anti-depressants as Eric Harris or Dylan Klebold, (The shooters at columbine). This could be a coincidence, but it's interesting none the less.

Not really helping the discussion, but it's an interesting fact.

[edit on (4/3/0808 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Great post palehorse...

That might explain the surge in the school shootings for sure.

Hexidecimal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were correct in this.

The whole population as a whole is overly medicated and the kids are definitely on too many meds as well. I am sure this is a factor, if not the main reason.

Wasn't there some flap when Prozac first came out about teens committing suicide related to being medicated with it? There's no telling what roll the pharmaceuticals are playing on the population. It's very scary.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If they were taking anti-depressants, they must have been suffering from depression. Why is the medication to blame and not the depression?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I actually remember that episode of Law and Order SVU where they have the exact same case for a behavior modification drug as being the culprit behind the kid killing his classmates. Always wondered if that was in anyway true.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The depression could very well be a factor, and I myself am not counting it out. The article is just linking certain types of anti depressants to school shootings. I've been depressed, got through it without any medication, and I had no feeling to commit a shooting, but then, everyone handles it differently, so I can't really be an example.

There is a possibility that the medication, instead of doing it's intended purpose of balancing their body chemistry, threw it out even worse, creating that desire to murder. Everyone reacts to drugs differently.

[edit on (4/3/0808 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen soup
If they were taking anti-depressants, they must have been suffering from depression. Why is the medication to blame and not the depression?

Just because they are on meds does not mean they have depression. you think everyone that is on meds definitely has depression? I have a hard time believing every shrink out there is 100% accurate in their diagnosis. There are a lot of quacks out there that love to push pills.
There are other ways to treat that diagnosis. Why do people believe that you have to have the drugs to cure the disease? IMO, to not learn of other alternative therapies is denying someone all the options, and also a possible danger to one's overall health. Drugs are definitely not always the answer.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Wasn't there some flap when Prozac first came out about teens committing suicide related to being medicated with it?

Prozac linked to child suicide risk

BETHESDA, Md. — Prozac, the only antidepressant certified as safe for children, may make kids more suicidal, according to evidence out Monday.

USA today

Good article on the Prozac/suicide relationship.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Thanks palehorse, I thought i had read something about that...

Yes I realize they are already depressed as someone else already said but to take a paragraph from that article you posted, they took that into account apparently:

"A large new study added to previous research on Prozac shows that kids taking the drug have about a 50% higher risk of suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts than those getting placebos, says Robert Temple, director of the Office of Drug Evaluation at the Food and Drug Administration."

Thanks for posting that article palehorse!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Every anti depressant can make people suicidal. if people wanted not to be depressed then they should get hold of some legal medical cannabis which is a medicine by the way if you didn't know that. Thats why its 13 states have legal medical cannabis for people. you can get it for anything. you dont have to have cancer or aids to get it. I use to be on anti depressants. they suck. it made me suicidal so i stopped taking them and 1 day later the thoughts went away. i discontinued the use of them. i got hold of some "LEGAL MEDICAL" cannabis. i smoked it once and my depression went away for weeks off of one joint. pills arent always the answer. it just might be a harmless natural plant that cures it. Make sure that its LEGAL before you smoke it.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
In addition to the "funny" pills he was taking, I wonder what kind of music he was listening to?

Music is not referred to as a universal language for nothing. It can and does put people into trances and "suggestible" states of mind.

With both drugs and music assaulting people everyday on many levels while the victim thinks he's having fun, the possibility for other agendas remain valid, and people should look deeper to figure things out for themselves and not rely on a newscasters summary to save time.

Any guesses as to what's really going on?

Here is a related article on the battle for our mind;

www.dicksutphen.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.dicksutphen.com...

[edit on 3-4-2008 by toasted]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Companies need to start caring about children and limit the risk of these pills. All they care about is there money. Why cant people think about morals. When your depressed your not aware of things. and when your depressed you cant control some your actions.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

Excellent point, anti; Star!

Heck yeah, legal or not, i say God gave us marijuana, all natural, and
good for the soul! Hippy types weren't shooting eachother at school or
the workplace in the sixties & seventies, because they(we) were properly
tuned-in;;; man!

FLUSH YOUR MEDS!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
you heard the guy "flush your meds" also ask your government to have legal medical cannabis instead of unsafe pills. Pills can are dangerous and sometimes additive. find a better alternative way for medicine.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Why do we as a society need to blame pharmaceuticals for shootings? When something goes wrong we are so very ready to blame drug companies, or guns, or a million other things. Have we forgotten that as a society we in no way shape or form share a collective mind? our mind is what makes us so different from one another. Why does there have to be a blame for each and every occurrence? We are taught from a very young age that we are all individual. Some of us are different from others, some people have to value or regard for human rights, life or self. THis is nothing new, people have been killing each other long before antidepressants were on the market. Society has become way to dependant on statistics, statistics are always wrong. In order for a statistic to be right you would have to poll everyone in the world who is one the same drug, categorize them into sub classes , base those classes on similarities and then re categorize them and on and on and on....there really would be only one end...that would be back to the individual. A handful of incidents really does not make a case for blaming drug companies. Might as well blame oxygen or food.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Stumpy1

So with your logic, we might as well not have any studies at all? Then that would mean all of the studies the drug companies do are worthless as well. Studies are done for a purpose. They are based on averages. It is impossible to poll everyone, that is why we have to look at the averages. Pretty simple concept really.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

www.naturalnews.com

NaturalNews) A parents' rights organization has called on Congress to investigate a potential link between psychiatric drugs and school shootings, and called for parents to be better informed about the risks of such medications. New York-based Ablechild accused the mental health industry of "[continuing] to downplay the risks of drugs widely prescribed to millions."

Related News Links:
www.blacklistednews.com

Yeah sure, parents blame everything but themselves for this. They need to man up and take charge of their kids life instead of blaming it on everyone else but them. News flash... you're probably at fault PARENTS!!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
and they say marijuana was bad....

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Do a little research on the massive inaccuracies of statistics, You might change your mind. You are right it is a very simple concept..unfortunately the most simple of concepts can be the hardest to effect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join