It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be in "reality" when we dream and being awake be the subconscious?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just a little question i have asked myself.

When we dream it "seems" real while we are there. Sure, its sketchy when we wake up, but has anyone wondered which is REALITY?

My guess is it could be either one.

And where are we when we dream if its just a dream?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
that reminds me of this song...

Forest For The Trees - Dream

We are all here in the act of creation
Let's fly away on our imagination
You take me to the highest heights
and into the depths of the deepest abyss

When I am dreaming, I don't know if
I'm truly asleep or if I'm awake
And when I get up, I don't know if I'm
truly awake, or if I'm still dreaming

Dream, Dream, Dream, Dream, life is
but a dream
Traveling the waves of an infinite ocean
I feel the deepest emotion
I see a shadow of reality
Please hold me closely and take me away

I'm the first person
you're the second person
Earlier today I was in the third person
Stop cursing, start diversing
Oedipus is bliss
the sunshine will affect your mind
Stretch it out, don't doubt the amount
my brain is caught
I'm just blessed
Trip hoppin', so I flow like a stream
It's just a dream

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I just awoke from a wonderful dream - very vivid, very viseral. I felt happy, I felt emotions, I could even feel the wind on my face.

Then I woke up, a headache began screaming in my brain and I looked around at these familiar walls and groaned. Here I feel pain, here I feel sorrow - or else I feel nothing at all.

There, everything was possible, there was no war, no sin, no wrong.

I hope I'm just having a lucid dream as I type this, because if THIS is reality, I'm sorely disapointed.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Unlikely, because even the subconcious is ultimately a part of reality.

edit; "Reality" Really is the big one - bigger than the Universe, bigger than multi-layered Dimensions, Bigger than parallel universes, bigger than Black holes.

I could draw you a diagram showing "Reality's" place in the grand scheme of things, if you liked - but i think you'll get the picture already.

The closest thing to the opposite of reality is sub-reality, but i won't go into that.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Throbber]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I have thought the same thing. It so odd when I dream, that I will remember some things about this life, but not a lot.

For instance, Last night I dreamt about my cat that died, but my current home was different, and in my dream I was not even married to my husband of 11 years.

I will often dream of different periods in my life, and the current just is not there.
I wake up, and feel like I have been under deep anesthesia , and it takes a while for this reality to feel real. I often also wake up shaking and my muscles in my entire body are completely tense.

I was thinking about this today. The fact that even animals dream. I always wonder if we die, are we in a complete forever dream state.

Ama

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Considering my dreams vary wildly, from being within a same or similar setting as waking, or varying degrees of paradise and hell, with rarely ever two being the same or similar, I'd have to say this is reality. We may get bits from a parallel self when sleeping, or it may just be neurons firing randomly or thoughts churning while you sleep.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Could there be just a possibility?

I was reading a book which posed this question. iI guess the answer isnt known! Too bad i had to wake up and not be with my father.

When we're there its also v e r y real.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
I just awoke from a wonderful dream - very vivid, very viseral. I felt happy, I felt emotions, I could even feel the wind on my face.

Then I woke up, a headache began screaming in my brain and I looked around at these familiar walls and groaned. Here I feel pain, here I feel sorrow - or else I feel nothing at all.

There, everything was possible, there was no war, no sin, no wrong.

I hope I'm just having a lucid dream as I type this, because if THIS is reality, I'm sorely disapointed.

I know what you mean

When I dream I'm happy and everything is going my way, then I wake up to the "5 am", terrible weather and boredom.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza

I guess nobody can say for sure - but I'd say the evidence points against it.

The thing is - you can see other people dream, you can see monitor their brain levels as they sleep and watch their eyes move. So unless reality is double bluffing - since dreams don't cross over into waking reality, I'd say it's much more likely this is real, and when I sleep, it ain't.

LW

[edit on 4-4-2008 by LoneWeasel]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Maybe it's just another level of reality, why should this reality be any more or less real then the one you are in when you dream. The only thing that is different in a dream is that the solidity of possibilities are very weak there. Your personal thoughts are king there but in this reality the power of our cumulative thoughts ( universal, galaxy-wide, worldwide, locally and personal ) have to work together to knit something together. At least that is what i think.

Why choose?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Or if you really want to be hypothetical, I was also thinking, what if every time we dream , that dream is creating a new reality somewhere.

ama

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Hi Dgtempe,

You know, I ask myself the same question every day!! I am a self taught student of consciousness studies and the more I try to ground myself and be more present in the moment - the more removed I feel and the more I feel like a casual observer of my own life. (I hope that isn't too deep - LOL).

I have experienced astral travel, ludid dreaming, visions whilst meditating, spirit contact and have a very expanded view on life and why we are here and as far as I can see, we live in a world of illusion that is held together by the global consciousness of the masses which seems to be pretty much directed by the governments and media. Some would describe it as a type of mind control as we are shown what to fear, what to value, who to hate, etc.

When one disconnects from this "grid of control" perception of reality can change drastically.

Anyway, must get some sleep - perhaps I'll enjoy a nice change of scenery for a while ...

new topics

top topics

join