It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oke so...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I guess I can participate in the debates again or has someone forgotten about me?
I see the debates are busy again, Genya has made it through the first round for instance and is now debating again. I don't see myself debating anybody while I also won the first round, only that was before those new first rounds began... Did I miss something or am I out of the picture for some reason?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I was just looking at the last tournament and it doesn't look to me like it was finished. Unless there's some kind of variable elimination system based on judging?

I can't tell how that one worked. I would think it would just be straight double-elimination.

Maybe we can get clarification on the seeding and elimination standards.

DeltaChaos

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The last tournament died in its sleep. A few months ago.

Since then the Debate Forum has had a regime change, we've had a few skirmishes to iron out the workings, and have just launched a new tournament.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
As far as the seeding and elimination for this tournament.

Started with 16 entries and one reserve.

Pairings were chosen at random using the random sequence generator at random.org.

The debates are numbered 1-8. After the first round, the winner of Debate 1 debates the winner of Debate 2. Winner of 3 plays winner of 4, and so on. The same method is used for subsequent rounds.

[Edited on 24-2-2004 by Kano]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes Kano, I understand how the tournament is organised. Problem is that it was told to us that there would be a new tournament (because ours had a few which weren't finished). That new tournament would give new debaters and those ones would debate with us. So the winners of that debate which I also made would debate the winners of the debate which started later to get enough debaters.

So I waited for those debates to end, and was thinking that I could now debate one of those persons. But now we are out of the picture... while that isn't what was said to us at that time...

I think it's very weird we are now not being able to debate anymore while it was said to us, and we were also the ones which were originally the debaters...

This isn't how it was said to us what was going to happen.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Ow oke I see

posted on 16-2-2004 at 00:02 Post Number: 378148

DEBATE TOURNAMENT STARTING

Fully fledged debate tournament starting in a few days. Or as soon as we get enough entrants.

U2U me if you want to be in the tournament, if you are not confident you will be able to complete each debate DO NOT enter the tournament.

Depending on how many applicants we will be probably be going with a 16 or 8 member tournament.

Very nice, waiting for months because the judges didn't made their decision, making a new group of debaters and then forgetting about the persons which were the first debaters. Not even sending a U2U informing the first debators about the idea to eliminate them and to start a totally new round.
Very nice solution you guys found, instead of letting us debate as was said to us

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Uh, regime change.

I thought it was fairly clear when I took over the reigns that the old tournament was being abandoned. We have an entire new judging panel and system, so theres really no way to keep any continuity.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
OK Leen,This is partly my fault so I'd better explain.

I originally ran the debate forums and tournaments,however,during the last tournament a number of people withdrew for various reasons (not you) I became disheartened and asked that someone else take over.Kano was good enough to do so.This was a couple of months ago.

Kano could not continue the old tournament as it was a bit of a mess.He's been running "skirmish" debates to get himself and his new judges up to speed.He then recently announced a new tournament.He gave plenty of notice for this.

If anyone owes you an apology it is not Kano it is me.I'm sorry I couldn't continue with the original tournament you were involved in.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oke, I understand

top topics

join