It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Way Above and Pop Up Blockers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I hate to once again be the board "feeb" but how the hell do you turn blockers off to allow Way Above voting?

I used to vote no problem, then all of a sudden couldn't. I didn't change any settings or portals.

I know it's not an ATS problem; it's a me problem but it may be affecting others. Any ideas?

I've poked around in Internet properties, etc. but obviously have no clue what I'm doing.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Did you recently install the Google toolbar? What browser are you using? Either way, denying pop-ups from a user-initiated click, from the same URL of the site you're clicking, is an extremely restrictive setting for a pop-up blocker. [Edited on 24-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I haven't installed anything and remain on IE 6.0.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hi RANT!!

*Which* pop-up blocker are you using please? For example, I've got Google toolbar (naturally!) with "built in" blocker and also one with Tweak XP Pro...

Over to you Sir!!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I never installed a pop up blocker it just started happening. Some time ago, I added Smiley Central as a button. Did I get a hitchhiker?

Also, I get pop ups all day long. No change except in Way Above voting.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hi RANT!!

Smiley Central - hmmm....

It's full of spyware/ adware - get Adaware - it's free - and see what it detects.

I use Adaware here and it finds all sorts of "nasties" that phone home!!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Thanks Genya I'll see.

For the record, my IE options has blocking NOT checked off. So it should be coming up. I'll see.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Thanks Genya I'll see.

For the record, my IE options has blocking NOT checked off. So it should be coming up. I'll see.

Hi RANT!!

Adaware *might* not solve your pop-up problem but - if you've *never* run a spyware program before on your machine(s) be prepared to be shocked!! All sorts of nasties!! Removing them can cause some associated programs to stop working of course but.....

Another GREAT - free! - program is Spybot S&D - run *that* and you'll *really* be alarmed!!

Good hunting RANT!!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Or use a Mac... no spyware or e-mail viruses for Mac OSX yet.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Or use a Mac... no spyware or e-mail viruses for Mac OSX yet.

If *only* I could afford one!!
One day, perhaps, my "ship will come in"....

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Not sure how much this will help but I must agree with the suggestions about ad-aware. Ad-aware is a wonderful program and you're right, the results will shock you. Ever go to a site, and they prompt you to "Click yes when the security warning comes up"? Well what you did there is initiate the installation of a program that you might not have wanted. A lot of times this happens while you're trying to download something you like. Ever seen things like "netpal" "ibis toolbar" "gator" "claria". Those, and about a million more, are programs that people are shocked to find in the results of their ad-aware scans because they don't remember downloading them.

Basically, I give people one bit of advice regarding that stuff. There is NOTHING free on the internet besides information. There are NO free games, NO free screen savers, and NO free programs. That's where your spyware crap comes from. The free christmas screensaver you downloaded for the kids probably has gator in the installation package.

I recommend running an ad-aware scan once a week. If as you said, you didn't change any settings, I'd be willing to wager that your popups on ATS will start working again.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya

Another GREAT - free! - program is Spybot S&D - run *that* and you'll *really* be alarmed!!

Good hunting RANT!!

I use SPY BOT about once a week to get rid of those little highjackers. And they always seem to find their way back.
Whatever you use, use it often.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
GREAT ad (sorry - no pun intended!) vice Djarums!!

SETI@home is free - and *doesn't* contain spyware or any such stuff, as we in the ATS SETI@home team will attest to!!

However, like lunches, there is very little "free" at all...

Thanx for the help - RANT - go hunt them data miners!!

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
DAMN... I got rid of 52 creepy crawls including one called ZEROPOPUPS which I was sure would fix this, but I'm still blocked!

I'll reboot. They always say to do that.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
And it WORKS! Thanks everyone. Great team effort to help a little old lady across the information highway.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I recently installed Kazaa, then rand S&D and discovered 144 pieces of #e on the system.

I know not all of them were KAzaa related, but it was certainly responsible for a decent amount of them.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Download Opera, from opera.com its a better browser than IE anyway, it will work OK here.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Chicky I cant stop looking are your avatar

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The record holders for Spyware/Adware/Scumware installed on a machine I have worked on are 258 and 356 individual items. Those machine were completely unusable for browsing the web and really too slow and bogged down for general use. The crud was so deeply integrated into Windows that even after Spybot and AdAware repaired them they were still flakey. I ended up re-installing the OS.

I hate Spyware and I am very glad you were able to get your computer cleaned up and working OK.

top topics

join