It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I lost everything in Katrina and guess what...I didn't live in New Orleans!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I feel for ya dude,my friend who is an RN in Maryland was so upset that she packed her car up with a million dollars worth of meds and her son and headed to MS,she said same thing everyone was talking about NO,she said was quite devastating,she had 2 page write up in Maryland newspaper,sucks being forgotten one

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by _Johnny_Utah_

I agree with you on that one brother. NOLA was and is a dump. A breeding ground of crime and filth. After Katrina, Texas took in many of the poor and put them up all over the state. I am willing to bet that NEVER happens again. For the most part the criminals we took in NEVER WENT BACK! I am all for helping people in a disaster, but people that demand the governemnt pay to rebuild everything without so much as lifting a finger to help make me sick. Mississippi on the other hand is working it's ass off too come back. You never hear about Mississippi blaming the gov for not giving them a free house, money, and shopping cards. Somebody tell me what exactly most of the poor lost in Katrina...They RENTED HUD homes, they had pretty much nothing, and now expect us to give them a life they did not earn, like they won the lottery......yeah, I dont think so..nice try.

I am sorry for your loss in Mississippi JU. I went through there not long ago, and things look much better. I had heard that mold was the biggest problem right now. keep your chin up, this too shall pass.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Johnny I too am very sorry for your loss.

Like a few others here I also got to drive down I-10 about 9 months after Katrina. What I saw I will never forget. I was expecting to see the most damage as I came up on NO and that was just not the case at all. What I saw in MS broke my heart. I spent a lot of time living in "Tornado alley" and debris and destruction does not bother me too much. What really killed me was seeing a wide open field right off the highway with thousands of tents set up and people living in them. It was the first and the only time I have actually seen a tent city. I was amazed at how the damage began to look better as I got closer to NO and I wondered why NO was getting all the media coverage when it was so blatantly obvious to anyone with working eyes that NO really didnt have it quite as bad as other areas. What happened to MS absolutely broke my heart, but I was even more amazed at how the people there came together to make a horrible situation the best that it could be.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

that is a great point about the crime which has now spread to other areas. I feel very badly for texas, being as how they took the brunt of the "refugees." The spike in crime since katrina (other areas) has gone through the roof.
Another problem is how many of the arrest records and evidence were destroyed in the Storm. Also witnesses for trials were scattered all across the country...it makes it impossible to present a case for trial.
So, as a result, many violent criminals who would otherwise be locked up in Angola...are now running the streets. So the problem became two fold. 1) the criminal element at large was relocated to other areas... then, 2) the criminals who were locked up in jails, had to be set free. So there is a whole new group (and more violent than the first) filling the streets.
The 9th ward, which now abandoned in many areas, is being becoming a haven for a seedy groups and people on the run.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I thought New Orleans was the only place devastated by the hurricane.

Thanks for letting us know. Good job on rebuilding.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
When the Northern trouble makers came down here several years ago to take the Mississippi flag by persuading all us dumb Southerners we were backwards for keeping it, we showed them where to go when the state voted to keep her flag (black and white votes).
I guess the Federal powers that be didn't forget that humbling experience.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

I would agree with all of you about New Orleans i was born and raise in Houma,LA i live in TN now when i go back to see my grandparents it just dicusses me to see such filth. i don't even go back anymore, johnney i think you and all your fellow MSians got the royal shaft in more way's than one. but just remember most of those people that were looking for a handout after the storm are the same people that was looking for a handout before the storm. keep your faith everything happen for a purpass.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I know what you are talking about, as I have family in Buloxi and my husband drove down there with our nephew to see about them shortly after the storm. He said it looked like there had been a nuclear attack and that there was hardly anything left. He brought some of the family back with him.

But for the most part they were the lucky ones they lived in an area that was slightly a bit higher than other areas and also had a huge complex of some sort in front of them that caught the brunt of the winds and still stood through it all, he said he thought it was damaged beyond repair. There was some minor damage to their homes. But that was hardly the story for most people. Hubby said everything around them was destroyed.

Hubby saw a lot of things on that trip, one he talked to truck drivers who were sitting outside the cities and not allowed to go in with supplies like water and ice and food, they had been sitting there for somewheres around twelve hours with their trucks running to keep stuff cool and waiting for permission to go in. They were all very frustrated.

The family told the story of a young man that one of the daughters worked with, she was worried about him and found him at their place of employment, or rather what was left of it, homeless due to the storm, and so she brought him home with her.

He said he had been asleep in his apartment and got washed out of it through the window and managed to grab onto a tree and cllimb into it and hang on for dear life, a boat with other people in it came through, during the storm, and he got in the boat and stayed in it until the storm was over and eventually made his way back to the only place he knew that was still standing.

I think though the reason New Orleans is getting so much attention is because of the way the government did not respond to them for so long, I saw people on an alternative news channel I watch say that they had not received any help at all for weeks, the news crew was with a private group handing out stuff and the people said that this was the only people they had seen in their neighborhood offering any help.

Also because the hurricane could not have been stopped, but the lack of response in New Orleans probably caused many to die and that could have been changed.

Here is a link to a Greg Palast video about it. There are a lot of info in this video that most people don't know. Palast is the best investigative journalist out there.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _Johnny_Utah_

My heart goes out to you JU.
It also goes out to the rest of the gulf coast, tsunami victims, the Burmese people, China's earthquake victims, tornado victims, and any one affected by a natural disaster. It is true that people and the MSM forget quickly.
But to be fair:

MS deaths approx. 222

NO deaths approx. 1464

Also we have to be mindful of the coverage the nation got during Katrina with the whole FEMA, superdome, floating corpses imagery that got ingrained into the American psyche.
I'm not saying any of this is right, the MS gulf coast was decimated. But there are reasons, valid or not, that NO got the most coverage.
I hope things improve for everyone.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
@ jonny utah hope things got better for you. How very true as to the media coverage only focusing on the cesspool called new orleans. I lived in the biloxi ms. point cadet area and was in katrina as well. There was nothing left after katrina went thru. I left the states after katrina flew out on first flight could get when gulfport airport was reopened and since have been living in s.e asia. I miss the coast but dont miss the hurricanes or the incompetence of the authorities and so called relief groups back there who just profit from misery. Lost everything and got NO help from any of them. Never again will I donate to any charity for years I donated to help when it was needed. But after getting no help after katrina when I needed it never again. Lesson learned. At least Ive got my pension from the army and the exchange rate is favorable along with the cost of living reasonable over here. Just tiresome that the propaganda machine.. Erm media there always goes on about new orleans everytime katrina is mentioned. And no people theres no conspiracies to katrina just a prime example of government incompetence and greed of the relief agencies charities who profit from misery. Life goes on and the world keeps spinning..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join