It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Republicans Push for Foreign Born Presidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Arnold Schwarzenegger said on Sunday's "Meet the Press" that anyone who has been a U.S. citizen for at least 20 years -- as he has -- should "absolutely" be able to seek the presidency. A constitutional amendment proposed by Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, would make that possible.

www.CNN.com

The Austrian-born former bodybuilder and businessman said he's been too busy with California's problems to think about running for president, but obviously alluded to his own success as an example supporting Hatch's proposed amendment. The California Governor said "there are so many people in this country that are now from overseas, that are immigrants, that are doing such a terrific job with their work, bringing businesses here, that there's no reason why not."

Opponents of Hatch's proposal and Schwarzenegger's suggestion cite one major reason "why not" -- the Constitution, which says only natural-born U.S. citizens are eligible for the country's highest office. With trade issues and overseas outsourcing poised to be major issues in the 2004 election, this is sure to be a hot topic for some that see it as no less than "outsourcing the Presidency."

Though traditional conservatives have been less than enthusiastic about welcoming immigrants in the past, Hatch's proposal represents a major shift in conservative thinking -- that thinking being "we could run Arnold." The proposed amendment to allow citizens of no less than 20 years, which just allows for Schwarzenegger that immigrated in 1983, has been poignantly alluded to as "the Arnold clause" of the U.S. Constitution.

Related ATSNN News:
Bush Fights Back
Nadar Announces Presidential Bid

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussions:
Schwarzenegger for President 2008

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Bush is speaking live on changing the Constitution some more to defend "the sanctity of marriage."

Why not just make it official. Roll the Constitution up on cardboard and use it to wipe the ass of Republican whims.

Where's my Red phone with a direct line to the ACLU?

The gloves are coming off.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
These people want to change the constitution for the sake of ONE MAN. They want to allow foreign-born Americans to become president for the sole purpose of getting Arnold into the White House.

As to the gay marriage thing....I really hope this Rick Perry scandal turns out to be true....that would put a damper on this witch hunt really quickly.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Not that i have anything against any foreigner, but that clause is in the Constitution to keep America, American.

To prevent some popular foreign national from taking over this country via elections.

Hmmm.........

*Looks at Arnie pic and ponders his goals*

[Edited on 2-27-2004 by BeingWatchedByThem]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I f the Congress of Corrupt Fools alters the Constitution to allow Butt Wipes like Arnold Swarzzennegger to become president then I will renounce my American citizenship. The last thing this country needs is another Reagan. Of course there's just no accounting for the way the people of California think. Common sense waved bye-bye to them a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've seen this come a mile away. the Center for Informed America saw this one around Arnie's CA election.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
While I happen to like Arnold, I don't support the idea of allowing foreign born President.

We've already allowed wealthy folks who run multi-national corporations to have too much power in DC - allowing a foreign born is just one more check & balance that would go by the wayside if that occured.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I theenk ees jus' a ploy for Republicans to get more support from immigrants who vote overwhelmingly Democrat.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Arnold only wants this because he is stupid enough to belive he could become president. People are feeding him the idea and his super ego and tiny brain is sucking it up.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hoppinmad1
Arnold only wants this because he is stupid enough to belive he could become president. People are feeding him the idea and his super ego and tiny brain is sucking it up.

Do you have any proof to this man's "Stupidity" because I would love to see it. I am a resident of California and know that the two proposal he is pushing 55 and 56 are going to greatly increase our schooling and budget problems that the government had created before. I think he is a great garbage man and will only do wonders for this state. He is a very smart man unless you are going to quote him from his movies which I hate just about all... I hope he dosen't run for pres though so he can stay here and California will break off and become it own great nation... wohaha!

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Americans wont allow such a change in the constitution...who da fock do u americans think u are america is indian country none of u are real Americans your peeps r from England y'all are foreigners too how dare y'all not want to allow the constitution change do u know what was done to form this "america" no wonder half the world hates you,
try stealing my land(Jamaica) we'd use your heads to play sports i dont hate america or americans or anybody for that matter just humble yourselves...thats all...
some people here think arnold shwartzenneger could be the antichrist... y'all afraid he'll run for president?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Thanks retard for that pleasant little journey.

I don't have a problem with people running for president if they have been a naturalized citizen for over twenty years.

I don't want Arnold, but since this country was built on foreigners, I think it's fine if we let one run.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
YEAH!!! I'm all for this, I could be president! I'll have been an American citizen for 20 years on my birthday in September! I turn 20. As a naturalized citizen (my parents were born here), I should be allowed to run for president too. I pay your damn taxes, spend money in your damn markets and contribute to the GDP as much as anyone else. I should be able to be President of the United States of America.

Side not, does anyone remember Demolition Man when Sandra Bullocks character says that Arnold Schwarzennegger is President? Weird, that movie was made a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hell wasnt like the 7 or 8th president the first one born here? Maybe it'll be good to let Arnold run... he will blow the rest of them out of the water.

How long has he lived here anyways?

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by samfashow

Originally posted by Hoppinmad1

Do you have any proof to this man's "Stupidity" because I would love to see it. I am a resident of California and know that the two proposal he is pushing 55 and 56 are going to greatly increase our schooling and budget problems that the government had created before. I think he is a great garbage man and will only do wonders for this state. He is a very smart man unless you are going to quote him from his movies which I hate just about all... I hope he dosen't run for pres though so he can stay here and California will break off and become it own great nation... wohaha!

Did you happen to see Arnold go on leno last night and get made fun of again. Proof of his stupidity lies in the fact that he continues to go on a show where he is constantly ridiculed whether he is on it or not. Leno was obviously trying to set him up by having gray davis secretly there yet he's too dumb to notice and thinks Leno is his best bud.

new topics

top topics

join