It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Threat To Block YouTube Over Islam Film (Fitna)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Threat To Block YouTube Over Islam Film (Fitna)

news.sky.com

Indonesia has vowed to block access to YouTube if a far-right Dutch MPs anti-Islamic film is not removed.

The short movie - called "Fitna" - carries images of the 9/11 attacks on New York and the Madrid bombings as well as quotes from the Koran.

It has drawn protests from across the globe, including in Indonesia, a former Dutch colony and the world's most populous Muslim nation.

The information ministry has written to Internet service providers telling them to prepare to block access if...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This should be interesting, Youtube caught between a freedom of speech rights question and a country that vows (possibly a bluff) to block the entire youtube domain from the entire country of Indonesia. This all stemming from one filmmakers one movie.

This also brings up other questions, let's say an acidic anti-catholicism (pick your religion) film came out and the people in the US were in an uproar, protesting for Youtube to take down the video, what would happen?

What happens if Youtube refuses to take it down, and the gov't of the US demands they do? Would the USG censor Youtube? essentially thats whats happening with Indonesia.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-4-2008 by battlestargalactica]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica
This also brings up other questions, let's say an acidic anti-catholicism (pick your religion) film came out and the people in the US were in an uproar, protesting for Youtube to take down the video, what would happen?

It already happened... Remember the Kevin Smith movie "Dogma"? The Catholic church was up in arms about that, and called for a boycott by all Catholics. I also remember a homily in my youth about the evils of the film "The Last Temptation of Christ".

The easiest way to appear to the world as a country (or entity) of fundamentalist religious zealots is to act like fundamentalist religious zealots.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Man who really cares ? They can block Google for all i care. Those pesky search engines will be sure to find a copy somewhere.

I'm sick of reading about this stuff. Let them block the whole internet . Its not going to bother me 1 bit. Heck i may actually get better sleep over it . Just to spite.

I'm "seeding" a copy now. boycott me.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cbianchi513

Originally posted by battlestargalactica

It already happened... Remember the Kevin Smith movie "Dogma"? The Catholic church was up in arms about that, and called for a boycott by all Catholics. I also remember a homily in my youth about the evils of the film "The Last Temptation of Christ".

The easiest way to appear to the world as a country (or entity) of fundamentalist religious zealots is to act like fundamentalist religious zealots.

You mean someone wanted to boycott "Buddy Jesus?"

On a more serious note, why does the Gov't of Indonesia even care about the film? To name, specifically, any particular file on YT is tantamount to viral marketing of that video. So now that they have enumerated a specific film on the site, it will likely get several hundred thousand hits. Good one Indonesia.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kelbtalfenek

You mean someone wanted to boycott "Buddy Jesus?"

I know, right? Carlin is a genius in that film... absolutely genius. I wish he'd bless my driver so I'd stop hooking the ball off the fairway. I digress.

I also couldn't agree more that Indonesia, by raising a stink, has created more publicity for the film that will increase viewing exponentially. Wasn't it PT Barnum that said even bad publicity is good?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Even is the country bans the Youtube IP (?) wouldn't there be workarounds for the people living in Indonesia to visit the site?

Proxies and such I think is all thats required...Correct?

Also as a sidenote, was going to make this a separate thread, but, are there any ip addresses/websites that are blocked (censored) in the US?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by battlestargalactica

Generally there blocked at work/school. To answer your question no. Not even child pron is blocked. We have somehting called "the common carrier" (en.wikipedia.org...)

Common carrier is an organization that transports people, goods, or services and offers its services to the general public under license or authority provided by a regulatory body. A common carrier holds itself out to provide service to the general public without discrimination for the "public convenience and necessity". A common carrier must further demonstrate to the regulator that it is "fit, willing and able" to provide those services for which it is granted authority. Common carriers typically transport persons or goods according to defined and published routes, time schedules and rate tables upon the approval of regulators. Public Airlines, railroads, bus lines, cruise ships, motor carriers (i.e., trucking companies) and other freight companies generally operate as common carriers.

Basically if they want to supply internet it must be unfettered and uncensored. So far the only acception has been "limiting" bit torrent.

But a simple search for "Easy Myspace proxy" will net you 100+ sites you can go to type in the url of choice and it will take you there through there servers. Unless its blocked at your router there will always be a way around it .

Hope that helps a little.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

Thanks for that info.

Ip's not blocked but I have seen cases where certain sites, whether deemed illegal or otherwise have just been denied access to their server host provider, ie: the server host/service provider cancels the clients service contract, thereby rendering the website without a home, at least in the US.

Of course these websites can then 'look' for a new home, someone that will host their particular website...

This I've seen happen to known islamic websites, some that have hosted video or audio of terror orgs. If a website hosts or caters to these groups, it most likely gets shutdown fairly quickly, effectively censoring that particular website (maybe temporarily or maybe permanently).

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I guess Malaysia is also jumping on the wagon over the Fitna movie, protests and such...

I've watched the movie, it's not all that 'shocking' to be causing so much controversy.

:shk:

top topics

join