It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Falkland War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Another Falkland War?

news.yahoo.com

BUENOS AIRES (AFP) - Argentina's claim to the Falkland Islands, which remain in British hands after the 1982 war between the two countries, is "inalienable," President Cristina Kirchner said Wednesday.

The sovereign claim to the Malvinas Islands is inalienable," she said in a speech marking the 26th anniversary of Argentina's ill-fated invasion of the islands, located 480 kilometers (300 miles) off shore.

The April 2, 1982 invasion prompted then British prime minister Margaret Thatcher to deploy naval forces to retake the Falklands, known as the Malvinas in Spanish.

The short, bloody conflict led to Argentina's surrender on June 14, 1982 after the death of 649 Argentines and 255 Britons.

Historians saw the invasion as an attempt by Argentina's ruling military junta, which was then in power, to divert attention away from domestic problems.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
What are the British going to do? Military forces stretched to the limit unless we exclude the Royal Navy out. Are the islands worth British blood?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Didn't Argentina make noises over this last year as well? Oh hey look at what a Google search turned up - one year ago yesterday.

www.guardian.co.uk...

The Argentinian foreign secretary today said his country's government would use "more firmness" in its attempts to gain sovereignty of the Falkland Islands.

"I have the commitment of the government to find more firmness in reclaiming sovereignty [of the Falklands]," Mr Taiana said, according to Clarín newspaper's website.

So I assume that this rhetoric is spun out by the Argentine government on every anniversary of their invasion of the Falklands. I doubt much will happen this time around either. How is there economy doing? Last year I believe it was actually on the up so conflict would have been bad timing for them. And how is their navy looking as well?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Existing news thread, here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-closed-

top topics

join