It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless Claims Shoot Up to 2-Year High

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Here's a few more jobs to add on, to kick off the 2nd quarter...

"ATA Closes Operations, Files Chapter 11"
ap.google.com...

And here's some more airline jobs from the last quarter or before. I knew something was up when I kept seeing that happen over a 2 week stretch...

"U.S. AIRLINE MECHANICS OUTSOURCED - FAA OK'D IT"
www.rumormillnews.com...

A further note... I'm darn glad I don't fly... and again, the monumental lack of common sense. We're concerned about terrorism but we'll outsource maintenance on our commercial jets to unqualified mechanics...? Geniuses.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I imagine the cuts will keep coming until eventually no one will be bulletproof from the effects of the economy. I'm just glad I'm no longer involved in the mainstream workforce.

I live a fairly self-sufficient existence, and if the worst comes to pass, not much in my life will change except for not having any modern conveniences or electricity. I've been there and done that before, so I'm not terribly frightened by the prospect. It's amazing what you can get used to when you have to.

I just hate seeing other people go down the crapper when they're honestly doing their best to keep afloat.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Well Wal Mart jobs are just that... Wal Mart jobs..
But again.. its Wal Mart.. you are not doing something WORTH a higher wage. Stocking shelves, cash register, cleaning floors.. it deserves $6-$10 an hour max. Low quality, low educated workers.
this kinda hit me square in the nose on a direct route to my brain, ouch! "low quality, low educated workers?????? exactly what is your definition of a "low quality worker?" please do not compartmentalize the whole into two halves. the people i worked side by side w/at wal mart were people humble in nature asking only a chance to put food on their table, clothes on their back and a roof over their head. a great percentage of wal mart workers are not as dumb or uneducated as you think. sometimes one must take what one can get but no limit of $10 maximum. wal mart employment, easily accessible, road on the backs of stockers, cash register operators and the like of them.

The manner and tone in which you made your statements hurt. show just a little more tact please.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I imagine the cuts will keep coming until eventually no one will be bulletproof from the effects of the economy. I'm just glad I'm no longer involved in the mainstream workforce.

This is true. At the moment my company is still looking for people to fill spots but.. its not bullet proof like you say. I could loose my job next month if the markets dropped and people panicked.. I don't think it will happen yet, and I hope to be out of my job by the time it does (trying to start my own company).

I live a fairly self-sufficient existence, and if the worst comes to pass, not much in my life will change except for not having any modern conveniences or electricity. I've been there and done that before, so I'm not terribly frightened by the prospect. It's amazing what you can get used to when you have to.

Good for you. If your like me the only thing you would miss by loosing everything is ATS haha..

I just hate seeing other people go down the crapper when they're honestly doing their best to keep afloat.

Well being as cynical as I am I honestly always question whether people ARE doing everything they can.

musselwhite

exactly what is your definition of a "low quality worker?"

Pushing carts.. stocking shelves.. i am not joking, our local store honestly employees mentally disabled kids to do these jobs lol ..

Its the lowest of the low jobs. Stocking shelves.. how much do you honestly think those people should be paid?? ..

the people i worked side by side w/at wal mart were people humble in nature asking only a chance to put food on their table, clothes on their back and a roof over their head. a great percentage of wal mart workers are not as dumb or uneducated as you think.

Right.. but.. its still a low job. You don't need a GED or a college education to do it. Stock a shelf. Mop a floor. Scan an item. Wow. Skillz man, skillz.

They may be humble people, simple people, what ever.. and they may just get enough to feed themselves. But if you applied your self properly .. and you wanted something more.. you wouldn't be working at your local wal mart.. would you?

no. You would not.

Its uneducated work. Mentally disabled could do it. Its low wage worthy, and nothing more.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

i first hired onto wal mart as a baker at $6/hr, dairy, merchandise as a stocker. i worked 3rd as a stocker in order to pay bills until my business grew. it took almost 2 years. not even $10/hr would compel me to work 'till i drop. a good dose of humility would be good for your soul.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I've got to agree with musselwhite on the uneducated part. Sure there are a lot of people without degrees working there, but my sister has a BS, and used to make $22/hr working for AT&T until she got laid off 6 months ago.

She's also in a catch 22 position where she doesn't have the time to go to interviews or put in resumes anywhere else because of her present work schedule is so screwy. Three absences and they let you go, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Stocking shelfs, pushing carts, and cashiering are all honest work. They may not be the most mentally challenging jobs, but they deserve a decent salary, or at least a liveable one.

I have two degrees, but I much prefer working around hogs, chickens, cows, etc. to being cooped up in an office. It gives me more free time as well. Everyone has a different definition of success I guess.

[edit on 4/3/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm with ya mate, I used to do landscaping and before that other manual labor while I was in school .. I still prefer working with stone and dirt to paper in a cubicle. But the office pays more. And while I may get fat sitting at my computer all day I do use my mind a hell of a lot more. Has nothing to do with degrees though.. I am very anti-college degree unless your going to be an acedemic. And for God's sake please people who read this. Don't go to a small school, private 18 month degree program, online university or anything like that.

Employers will not except them. If they do, they will prefer college grads over you. Cookie cutter schools..

Anyways..

If wall mart workers and Mcdonald workers got paid $15 an hour.. that would be great.

For er.. 2 months.

then massive spikes in inflation as the prices adjust new wage.. gas will be $6 a gallon and milk $7 a gallon because EVERYONE would be able to buy it.. imagine, car prices will go through the roof, going out will be forking out a huge bill and beer would be $8 a bottle..

Of course, all these people making money spend the money, companies make more, pay the white collar folks more money .. meaning people in the offices get a big pay raise.. and it corrects its self..

I say the minimum wage is to low. But a drastic increase for a job that does not deserve that wage.. its harmful to the economy. Minimum wage adjusted for inflation should be $7.50 an hour. Minimum.

Ironic coincidence. While typing this and watching the news, a story from a small town:

Man got laid off.. normal guy, nice guy, no record.. snapped on day. He went to the store with an iron bar and tried to rob the place.... for a pack of smokes. A small woman half his size disarmed him (
) and as his wife says .. if he was deranged.. he woulda hurt her .. in reality, just desperate.. and desperate people do stupid things. By the way, he got 4 years which, imo, is a little outrageous. Maybe 6 months. I mean.. it was smokes.. what ever.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I like to be able to see immediate results when I'm doing a job, as a counselor it never worked that way. They did fine in a controlled environment, but went all to heck when they hit the streets. You can change a persons behavior, but if you can't change the environment around them as well it fails 90 out of 100 times. I worked a lot with probation/ parole and seen the same people year after year. It was depressing, and I quit.

Now I'm happy raising my animals and watching them grow up to become pork chops, steaks, fried chicken, and omelets.
My wife has the money job, and she likes it, so all works out well for us. We live well within our means, and owe nothing on our home or our vehicles. So, I consider myself lucky.

It'd be nice everybody could have a little peace and serenity in their lives too. The World would be a much better place if people didn't need to struggle so hard just to get by. You miss so much in the rush..

[edit on 4/3/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Now I'm happy raising my animals and watching them grow up to become pork chops, steaks, fried chicken, and omelets.

Love it. Just from the fact that you have your house paid along with your cars your worth more then many of my clients making 6 figure salaries.. which in the end are honestly worth absolutely nothing.

I tried and tried.. to get my fiancee to move back to where our families came from and buy a sheep farm. She can't live without the TV, the clothes, the shopping and the clubs.. all that crap. *sigh* I agree though, people need serenity. Is it honestly a wonder why the Western World and the most developed nations have the highest rates of suicide and severe depression?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Here's some new statistics.

www.foxbusiness.com...

WASHINGTON -- Employers buffeted by talk of a recession slashed 80,000 payroll jobs in March, the most in five years and the third straight month of losses. The unemployment rate jumped to 5.1%.

The new employment figures sounded the loudest warning yet that the country could well be in a recession.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Without the wife's job, things would be tight cash-wise, but we'd get by. We raise most our meat, and plant a garden every year, so we wouldn't go hungry should the bottom drop out. I'm hoping it doesn't, but things aren't looking too good for our economy.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

If they'll admit to 5.1%, you can bet it more like 9 or 10%. They're going to have to take some drastic steps soon, before it all spirals out of control. If that happens, it'll probably be quite awhile before things start looking up again for our country.

Start preparing for the worst now, and hope for the best. Stock up on canned goods, bottled water, OTC medicines, and ammo if you have firearms. Warm blankets, durable clothes and footware, are plusses as well. I know money is tight, but a little here and a little there will add up.

The Survival forum has a lot of good information in it too for any that are interested.

It wouldn't hurt to know how to build a temporary shelter, start a fire, procure and purify water for drinking, perform first aid, or navigate with a map and compass. If you never need the skills, what have you lost but some of your time?

[edit on 4/4/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
WASHINGTON -- Employers buffeted by talk of a recession slashed 80,000 payroll jobs in March, the most in five years and the third straight month of losses. The unemployment rate jumped to 5.1%.

Forgive my ignorance but what does 'payroll jobs' represent? I'm assuming it's not the total workforce as that 80,000 cut giving a 0.3% rise in unemployment would put the total sample size at only around 27 million people.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I doubt it is at 9-10% .. I said earlier I believe it to be around 6-7%.. even 1% is a massive amount of people when you think in relation to about 220 million workers in the job market.

For the FED to admitt unemployment at 5.1% though is worrying.. 80,000 jobs LOST is .. over 100% more then expected (which was originally expected 34k)

To give you some more backing however.. LLoyd, take a look at part of the CNN article on the matter:

The new report also pegged job losses in January and February at 76,000 each month.

Which is far more then what was released.. meaning you are right.. unemployment IS higher then announced. And that is concerning.. why did it take 3 months to figure out job losses in a given month? I can imagine a few reasons.

Maybe 3 months from now we will backtrack and say job losses in March stood at 100k lost, because obviously the Fed is having a hard time keeping tabs on this..

Those revisions added an additional 67,000 job losses to previous readings. The Labor Department now estimates that the economy has shed 232,000 jobs in the first three months of this year

Thats the average size of a large American city.

The job losses were widespread, with the battered construction sector losing 51,000 jobs and manufacturing employment falling by 48,000. But there were also losses in key service sector industries. Retail employment dropped by 12,000 jobs, and business and professional service employers cut staff by 35,000.

And while some are complaining Wall Mart type jobs are being cut.. honestly thats not concerning nearly as much as the large amounts of professional and skilled labor jobs being lost. THAT is when you know your economy is in trouble.. because its these people who spend the money.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I doubt it is at 9-10% .. I said earlier I believe it to be around 6-7%.. even 1% is a massive amount of people when you think in relation to about 220 million workers in the job market.
I have a tendency to overestimate LOL, but I know their figures were not an accurate representation. You're figure are probably closer to the real percentage.

To give you some more backing however.. LLoyd, take a look at part of the CNN article on the matter:

The new report also pegged job losses in January and February at 76,000 each month.

Which is far more then what was released.. meaning you are right.. unemployment IS higher then announced. And that is concerning.. why did it take 3 months to figure out job losses in a given month? I can imagine a few reasons.
I appreciate the backing, and you raise some good points as well.

Thats the average size of a large American city.
To be honest, I never even thought about it like that. It's kind of scary when you look at it from that perspective. That's over double the size of the town I live in!

And while some are complaining Wall Mart type jobs are being cut.. honestly thats not concerning nearly as much as the large amounts of professional and skilled labor jobs being lost. THAT is when you know your economy is in trouble.. because its these people who spend the money.
Well they have alot more to spend, but every cent counts when you're looking at the overall picture.

I really appreciate the input and information Rockpuck. If I'm not careful I may learn a few things about economics despite my best efforts.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
omg, head for the hills, and unpack your survival gear....2 year high!!

Comeon, I mean I believe we're in a recession, and that the economy is doing bad, but there is more devestating news than 2-year high jobless claims....

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
omg, head for the hills, and unpack your survival gear....2 year high!!
I don't have to unpack it, it's always at th ready. Be prepared son, that's my motto.

Comeon, I mean I believe we're in a recession, and that the economy is doing bad, but there is more devestating news than 2-year high jobless claims....
That's cool if you prefer to beleive what you read and see in the MSM. I prefer to gauge things by what I see happening around me. Right now things are getting lean for a lot of people, but by the end of the year, it will be much worse IMHO.

I hope you'll at least consider learning a few basic survival skills and stockpiling a few cans of food. What would you have to lose by doing so? It's a cheap insurance policy against disaster. I wish you the best of luck either way Chorozon.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Ok...so unemployment rose 434,000 to 7.8 million giving us a March unemployment rate of 5.1%.

However...looking under the bed we find:

Bureau of Labor Statistics Summary

April 4, 2008

About 1.4 million persons (not seasonally adjusted) were marginally attached to the labor force in March. These individuals wanted and were available for work and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as un-employed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey.

Among the marginally attached, there were 401,000 discouraged workers in March, about the same as a year earlier. Discouraged workers are defined as persons not currently looking for work specifically because they believed no jobs were available for them. Full Summary

That's another 1.4MM folks. At least the BLS gives us nice bureaucratic terms for defining ourselves

George Ure at UrbanSurvival does the math for us.

Add the admitted 7.815 million unemployed to the 1.4 million 'marginally attached that they didn't bother to count as 'unemployed' and we get 9.215 million, which on a workforce of 153.784 million pencils out to an RCH under six percent unemployment rate but it gets even worse because if you add the table A-12 (unadjusted) U6 (*Underemployed like PhD's flipping burgers) you get an unemployment or severely underemployed rate of about 15.3%. Full Text

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

Excellent post.. disturbing and concerning.. but excellent read.

"discouraged" workers are not counted because they think there are no jobs lol... they still don't have a job and, pardon if I express ignorance in this.. but does that not make them unemployed any way you look at it???

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well, if you saw my post above, I'm just adding a link to another airline or two to throw in the mix.

Skybus Ends Service, Third Airline to Fold This Week (Update2)

"April 5 (Bloomberg) -- Skybus Airlines Inc., a U.S. low- fare carrier that started operations less than a year ago, stopped service today, the third airline to shut down this week as fuel costs soared and the economy slowed."

www.bloomberg.com...

The likely culprit?

"Jet fuel has increased 62 percent in the past year, including a 3.7 percent rise to almost $3.20 per gallon this week, according to the International Air Transport Association, a trade group representing 240 airlines. The typical Airbus A319 flown by Skybus pilots carries 6,300 gallons of fuel."

Gee, go figure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join