It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless Claims Shoot Up to 2-Year High

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Jobless Claims Shoot Up to 2-Year High

hosted.ap.org

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of new people signing up for unemployment benefits last week shot up to the highest level in more than two years, fresh evidence of the damage to a national economy clobbered by housing, credit and financial crises.

The Labor Department reported Thursday that new applications filed for unemployment insurance jumped by a seasonally adjusted 38,000 to 407,000 for the week ending March 29. The increase left claims at their highest point since Sept. 17, 2005
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Great Depression Of 2008? It can't happen to us...Can it?
Ohio Job Losses Worst Since Great Depression

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Apparently more and more people are finding themselves effected by the housing, credit, and financial situation in America. The statistics show that the unemployment rate is only 4.8%, but I'd say it's much higher than that.

Look around you at all the unemployed and underemployed people in your community, then decide for yourself if the facts and the figures jibe with what you see.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/3/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Meanwhile, the number of people continuing to collect unemployment benefits rose by a sharp 97,000 to 2.94 million for the week ending March 22, the most recent period for which that information is available. That was the highest since July 17, 2004.

This is the figure they usually try to hide when they talk about unemployment, it's always 9,000 or 12,000 more than expected for the week ending whatever.. There are 3 million people collecting unemployment benefits in this country, not counting the underemployed or the ones who've run out of benefits or the ones who never qualified for benefits like contractors and small business owners who are just left to tough it out on their own.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

There are 3 million people collecting unemployment benefits in this country, not counting the underemployed or the ones who've run out of benefits or the ones who never qualified for benefits like contractors and small business owners who are just left to tough it out on their own.

yep. Then you have people like me, who have been recently fired, and have not visited the Dept of Labor (mainly because its a waste of time).

So the number in actuality, is probably bigger.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I totally agree about the jobless situation, but there are those on here that think we are overexagerating the situation. I have never had this much trouble getting a job before. I am a trained communications/electronics tech. I have swallowed my pride and been to everywhere looking for work. I have been to Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Olive Garden, Every plant and factory within a 50 mile radius, and nothing. When I filed for unemployment, the woman that I dealt with said she had worked there for 28 years and had never seen such a small amount of jobs offered ever, and that the department of labor was considering extending the terms for recipiants.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It won't be long before someone pops in to let us know the employment situation isn't so bad, and that we're not in a recession.

It's reminiscent of the Global Warming issue. For decades people were trying to inform the public about it, but the government managed to marginalize them, and convinced everyone they were just tree hugger and conspiracy nuts.

Then a few years ago, when the proof was undeniable that it was happening they change their tack. Then the line went something like.. We never said it wasn't a concern..

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I wish the report was more detailed to show where the jobless claims originate -- that is sector of the economy..

People laid off from McDonalds don't get unemployment. People like me with to much pride, I never used Unemployment.. when professional jobs like computer tech, corporate and so forth start dropping, less money to buy, more people are going to be fired from the service sector.

Concerning to say the least. I also believe in this report Federal jobs are included in employment .. that is, federal created jobs using tax money to fund off set the actual amount of jobs created to lost..

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Last time I was jobless, before I got the one I just had, I was unemployed for almost a year. I applied everywhere, I tried temp agencies, I tried DoL, I tried fast food, I tried grocery stores...

Nothing.

and that was about a year and a half ago.

I'm scared to see what the job prospects are now.
Looks like I'm going to be kicked out of my place maybe -_-

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
It won't be long before someone pops in to let us know the employment situation isn't so bad, and that we're not in a recession.
as you are well aware, some of the comments support this statement found in www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
i as well was jobless for almost a year, this was about three years ago mind you, but it was very difficult to manage then. i can only imagine that it's gotten worse with time, as with everything else in the world.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by ViolaCard]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I know what you're saying is true, but unfortunately there aren't any statistics available to prove it. Unfortunately, most people would rather believe what the party line says, instead of trusting what their own eyes and their neighbors are telling them.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Most of the jobs that are available today are temporary, and come with low wages, no benefits, and irregular hours. How people are expected to live like that I don't know. It's no wonder why over 47,000,000 people don't have health insurance, they simply can't afford it..

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
3 years ago.. at the height of the economy? .. You could NOT find a job?

This is why personal stories mean absolutely nothing when trying to relate to the economy..

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

I hope that doesn't happen to you, but anymore it's a definite possibility. Many years ago, I found myself in that situation, and I didn't like it much. Everything seemed pretty hopeless. My main concerns at that time were more of the survival nature (food, water, shelter, security).

It took almost a year for me to get back on my feet, and that even required someone caring enough to lend me a hand. My pride was a big problem for me as well.I didn't want my family knowing how bad things were for me, so I didn't tell them. We were spread out all over the country, so they hadn't clue.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
We were not at the height of the economy three years ago. we were at war and having financial issues then.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It's hard to understand unless you've been there, no disrespect intended. Everyone's situation is different. Some people have skills that are marketable, others don't. Some people have great communications skills and can sell themselves to a potential employer, where a less persuasive person can't. Sometimes there isn't just any work to be had.

Try getting a job when you have no transportation, no money for bus fare, or even a phone number where they can reach you. It's tough to say the least.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
War is an economic stimulus.. it does NOT have direct adverse effects as faras jobs.. the more the Gov spends the more money in peoples hands..

Unless you can relate the two. I can assure you only one person on ATS has even come close to convincing me of this relation and he used points from an economic and social view point. And that was Agit8ted (sp)

We where at the height of the economic cycle. Your politics do not change that.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I absolutely agree.. 100% not everyone will make it, but just because one person does not .. does not mean that the economy is crashing.

Ironically.. it is crashing IMO. Just for different reasons. If you get what I mean.. not because of what is happening to Joe blow and how he can't get a job delivering pizzas.

www.monster.com

Post your resume, send it to employers and most likely you will get a call from one or two.. just saying I find it hard to believe there are no jobs at all.. as in 100% filled. Just.. its not probable.

And I have been there.. paid my way through college until I was near bankruptcy.. lived off the dollar menu and Raman noodles. No joke. We used to throw in dollars and change to order a pizza.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
With the economy like it is today, employers have no need to offer good-paying jobs, benefits, or any type of job security. Most Blue collar jobs are 30 hours or less a week, you don't have any regular work hours, and no health benefits to speak of.

Why is that? They don't have to. There are too many desperate people out there who will sweep floors, bus tables, or stock shelves just so they can keep their heads above water.

Back in the 60's jobs were easy to find, and employers had to offer some incentives to attract qualified workers, that isn't the case anymore. You have people with Phd's driving trucks and working at McDonald's.

The business sector is exploiting the working class, while raking in record profits. Why hire a replacement when an employee quits or is laid off? Just make everyone else work that much harder.

My sister works for Wal Mart and said they encourage their workers to apply for food stamps, subsidized housing,and medicaid to offset their wages. According to her, over half the people she works with are on government subsidies. For some reason that just sounds wrong.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well Wal Mart jobs are just that... Wal Mart jobs..

There is a reason why Wal Mart does not have benefits. The employees cannot afford it..

When a company offers benefits.. it is not directly paying for them. They can, and some times they do.. but most of the time when you get life insurance through an employer YOU pay for it. If your making $8 an hour.. you don't need health insurance. Its not worth it. Life insurance is the same way, its cheaper through work, but the employer does not pay for it. 401(k)'s can have a compensation plan where the employer matches a percentage of how much YOU put in, but again, they don't always have to do that.

For the most part its inexpensive (aside from retirement compensation) for a company to offer basic benefits. However, 50% of all employees must partake in the program for it to work, else no one gets it.

But again.. its Wal Mart.. you are not doing something WORTH a higher wage. Stocking shelves, cash register, cleaning floors.. it deserves $6-$10 an hour max. Low quality, low educated workers.

Same with fast food.. they don't deserve big benefits or big wages. Its menial work. Its a 16yr old's job for crying outloud.

A big and real problem however is employers cutting back on middle income job's retirements.. compensation, 401(k) contributions and other supplements. Thats a big problem, and its carried on by Greed and nothing more then that.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join