It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't NATO invite Russia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I know this may sound like a really dumb question but why has NATO not invited Russia to join? It seems like Nato and the US still believe that we are in the Cold war. I know Russia isn't perfect and has its own problems but don't you think that they might warm up to the west if we didn't build a missile defense shield in Poland and invite former satellite states of the USSR to join Nato. All in all it seems to me like we keep on slapping Russia in the face with our actions and then expect our relations to get better. Why dont we take the first step and try to make our relations a little bit better. Im no expert on any of this so inform me if im wrong on any account, and sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense its been a long day.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bgaty

My best guess would be that its because Russia really has nothing of value to offer NATO. Also lets not forget that the main reason NATO was formed was to counter the Soviets Warsaw Pact.

Nowadays NATO is not much more than a well equipped anti-terror security force.

CT

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
There is always a need for a villain to oppose for funding purposes. This is especially important for the US government and DoD in particular. Russia provides the perfect villain role as it has nuclear weapons and a modest army and navy. The better the threat, the more money needs to be spent on protection.

Russian leaders seem to be nationalistic in nature which makes them even better funding targets. This trend also makes them natural leaders, not followers. Within the NATO community, they would have to be followers.

As more and more ex-Warsaw Pact countries join NATO, there may be a push within Europe to start talks with Russia about a limited partnership. This will be done to appease the die hard communists party members still functioning within the politics of several countries.

The bottom line to this is a national ego thing. Russia was a huge player that is just a shadow of it's former power. The only reason they are listened to is because they have nuclear weapons. Without these weapons, Russia would be a regional power incapable of invading a country outside of a few hundred land miles.

They are trying to rebuild their military and it will take time. They will conduct training exercises with both China and the USA so their commanders will receive better leadership experience and training.

Realistically, Russia is a huge country. It would be a considerable expense to allow Russia to join NATO. A country like Poland is like adopting the State of Indiana. Not that large of a land mass. Russia is like a couple of Europes. There could be a reasoned argument for not allowing Russia into NATO due to the cost of defending such a vast expanse from China.

There are some real Russia lovers within these forums and several still live in the past when discussing the military might of Russia. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say or even chime in.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bgaty
All in all it seems to me like we keep on slapping Russia in the face with our actions and then expect our relations to get better. Why dont we take the first step and try to make our relations a little bit better.

Russia would not join. Just as the West is accused of still engaging in a Cold War mentality, so does the Russian government. Many of their cold warriors are still in positions of power, and a common perception among the public is that the United States is still their chief rival on the world-stage (rival and enemy not necessarily being synonymous). Russians' pride in their nation is still very, very strong, and would see joining NATO as a sign of weakness.

The reason these former Warsaw Pact nations are so eager to join NATO is because they remember what life was like under both the Soviet Union and the Russian Empire. Until the break-up of the Soviet Union, many of these countries had not known true independence since the 18th century. Now that they've tasted freedom for the better part of two decades, they want to ensure they keep it. They fear an ascendant Russia and don't want to be swallowed up in a resurrected Russian Empire.

top topics

join