It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Police Encounters.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Run In Part 1

/Begin

We were on our way home headed towards, (insert location here) from (insert road here), We turned left at the intersection onto (insert road here) and came to a stop at the stop sign, It was around 12AM, We saw three, individuals across the road standing it was hard to tell who or what they were as it was dark and they were a pretty good distance from us, At the same time I was about to make my turn as all was clear when the three individuals started walking towards our vehicle and shinning lights, They yelled at us to stop at this point we were a bit confused and not exactly comfortable all things considered, When they got a bit closer it was clear they were Cops, so we stopped.

Two of them were State Troopers, The other was a City Police Officer, One of the Troopers we shall refer to him as (Trooper W) approached the drivers side I rolled down my window slightly and asked what was going on, he did not answer and requested my license, registration ect, I flipped on my cabin light and retrieved both and handed them to him, At this point all seemed fine and everything checked out as expected, He then handed both items back to me, and asked both myself and my friend if we had been drinking ect, and if we had drugs or illegal substances in the vehicle, I answered no to all, which was the truth, I don't do such things nor have I ever tried them.

After answering his question he responded and requested to search my vehicle, I refused and stated that thought I have nothing to hide, I will not allow him to search my vehicle as I have done nothing wrong, (If I did or he has reason to believe I did he wouldn't have needed to ask permission)

He then asked me If I had nothing to hide why won't I allow him to search my vehicle I responded again with the statement above, At this point both himself and the other trooper who was talking to my friend on the passenger side, (I have no idea what happened to the City Cop) Both place their hands on their holsters as if they are prepared to draw on us and tell me to pull off of the road into a small parking area just a few yards away, I do so,
He then orders both my friend and myself to step out of the vehicle, We do so, He ad the other Trooper pat myself down and my friend, The trooper that was patting me down went into all of my pockets, I informed him that I did not consent to this, he continued, After determining that I did not in fact have anything on me nor did my friend he tell us to take a seat, We did so, he then begins asking us numerous question, what are we doing out, where are we going, where have we been ect, my friend answered the other troopers questions regarding such things i stayed silent as quite frankly its none of his business, I then asked again as I did during the initial contact, what the problem was and what was I being at this point detained for, I again received no answer, up to this point the Trooper seemed very aggressive including with his pat down and attitude, He again asked me why I wouldn't allow him to search my vehicle, This time I just didn't bother answering because I'm going to be honest he was starting to piss me off, He then requests my License again this time going back to his vehicle and running the info i would presume, During all of this the other Trooper seemed very calm he was much older then the Trooper I was dealing with and seemed to be treating my friend with respect, (good cop bad cop, or just a good cop?) I don't know, But minuted later the Trooper who I was dealing with returns to my vehicle and hands me my license, back, and again, asks why I won't allow him to search my vehicle, This time I respond again with the previous answer, He then ask if my father, Who at the time the vehicle was in his name would allow the search if he were to contact him, I responded no he probably would not, He then asks me and I quote,

(Oh really is he an asshole like you?)

I didn't respond to this as again he was starting to piss me off and at this point I know he was trying to get me to do something to give him an excuse...

A moment later I requested if I was free to go as I had done nothing wrong, and needed to get home, We had been detained for about 30min thus far, and by the time we got out of there it was about 45min.

He then responded in a sarcastic aggressive attitude,

(Oh you didn't do anything wrong did you? we shall see.)

He then literally like you see in the movies when there pissed, started walking quickly back and fourth around my vehicle looking for something, anything to get me on, He did this several times, he crouched and looked under my car check every little detail to find something, of course he finds nothing, He then comes back to my window and in a loud voice said

(whats that?)
I responded, whats what? He then points to and I kid you not, a small necklace that was hanging from my rear view mirror that belonged to my mother...

goes back to his vehicle then returns 5 minutes later with a ticket for (Obstruction of Drivers View) which is

Drivers Views AND Control to be unobstructed by load or persons =

(a)No Person shall drive a vehicle when its so loaded as to obstruct view of the drivers to the front or sides of the vehicle or as to interfere with the drivers control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.

(b)No passenger in a vehicle shall ride in such a possition as to interfere with the drivers view ahead or to the sides, or to interfere with his control over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.

Now at no point did I do anything wrong nor illegal, I was minding my own business and was given the run around by a cop on a power trip, Asserting my rights is not a presumption of guilt, nor is it grounds for an officer of the law to verbally assault both myself and my father nor harass me, He conducted himself in a completely unprofessional manner...

Come court date I won, and paid nothing for obvious reasons...

This is the end of Part 1, Part 2 starts off about 6 months later with the same Trooper around the same time, but at a different location when I got off of work and was taking the same friend who I work with, to my house.

Run In Part 2

We were headed to my house after we got off work he was staying the night, as we had plans the next morning.

So we were headed south on (insert road here) towards my home its roughly 7 miles away, No one else was on the road at the time, a few minutes later a vehicle comes speeding up behind us, o it is n our tail for about a mile, The speed limit is 55 however at this time of night its not the safest speed to be going as deer run across there quite often, I've come quite close to hitting several, I usually at this time travel at about 45mph, Continuing on, The car finally decided to pass us and does so, we quickly lose sight of them, they had to be going about 60-70, About 3 or so miles up the road we see them pulled over in a restaurant parking lot just off the side of the road window to window with you guessed it, (Trooper W).

As soon as we go by (Trooper W) pulls out and starts folloing us, hes right on our tail with his bright lights on, Why he did this will become clear in a bit, Now he continues to follow us all the way down this road and when we get to the intersection which leads onto my road he turns off and goes back in the direction we had come from, All is fine it seems, we get into my house and are there for abotu 5 min when my friend rmebers he needed soemthign at his house, he lives about a mile up the road we just came from, so we head back out to go get whatever it was he needed, We continue up the road again, (north), and about 1/2 up (Trooper W) is on our tail again and this time starts flashing his lights, So I pull off to the side of the road, Flip on my cabin lights and wait for him to come to the window, When he gets there I rolled it down and he requests my License and registration, Now I have no Idea if he remebered me, But I remebered him, Anyway I hand him both I also hand him what I didnt have on our past encounter my Concealed weaposn Permit, I don't have to per State laws but its a courtesy to do so, a courtesy which from now on I wont show...

But after this, he asks where the weapon is and i tell him he then yells at me to keep my hands on the wheel, whcih they were and never moved, we were told to do this regardles in CCW class, he then opened my door and asks me to slowly step out of the vehicle, I tell him I have to unbuckle my seat belt and he tell me to do it but slowly, Which I did, I then step out of the vehicle, mind you having a gun drawn on me the whole time, He then pats me down and removed my firearm, He tels me to continue facing my car with hands up against it, and he walks back to his car and puts my weapon inside, He then returns and starts badgering me as to why I am carrying a firearm, I didn't respond, The mere fact he disarmed me and treated me in such a manner was completely offensive, any gun owner can tell you its a matter of compelete disrespect we feel to be disarmed let alone be treated in such a way... So again I remained calm and quite as this incident had pissed me off well beyond that of our last run in...

He then after realizing im not talking to him period, goes back to his vehicle and then returns a few minutes later with yay! A ticket, Guess what its for?
No seat belt...

He asks me to sign it multiple times, And Yes I refuse, I know the consequnces of this prior to the event, Its arrest and a night in jail, Yes I know signing a ticket is not an admission of guilt but, It does in my opinion recognize an event, which i know is complete bs, and I refuse to recognize said event by signing his ticket,

[edit on 3-4-2008 by C0le]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
He then tells me to turn around and he places me under arrest, At no time do I resist or any such thing, I then ask when we get to his car why he pulled me over, He claims I was swerving when he followed me and that the previous car I mentioned above that had pulled over to his window claimed that I was tailgating him...

Now here is his account as in the report

ON THIS DATE THE UNDERSIGNED OFFICER WAS INFORMED BY A MOTORIST THAT A (insert car description here) WAS DRIVING ERADICALLY AND TAILGATING THE MOTORIST. THE UNDERSIGNED LOCATED A VEHICLE MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION TRAVELING NORTH ON (insert road here)

Now keep in mind he (located) me and followed me while I was drivingsouth to my home but then broke off at the intersection...

So his story is a bit flawed...

continuing on,

NEAR THE (insert business here). THE UNDERSIGNED FOLLOWED THE VEHICLE SEVERAL MILES AND OBSERVED IT TO BE WEAVING WITHIN ITS LANE

Remember this part of the event happened prior to him letting us go on back to my house.

THE UNDERSIGNED EXECUTED A TRAFFIC STOP ON THE VEHICLE BEARING (insert vehicle info here) UPON APPROACHING THE VEHICLE THE SUSPECT IDENTIFIED AS (insert my name here) THE DEFENDANT ADVISED THE UNDERSIGNED THAT HE HAD A PISTOL IN HIS WAISTBAND. THE UNDERSIGNED ADVISED THE DEFENDANT TO PLACE HIS HAND ON TOP OF HIS HEAD AT WHICH TIME THE UNDERSIGNED OPENED THE DRIVER DOOR AND ADVISED HIM TO STEP OUT OF THE VEHICLE

The Trooper never opened to door I did his hands were on his gun the whole time...

ONCE OUTSIDE OF THE VEHICLE THE UNDERSIGNED RETRIEVED THE PISTOL FROM THE DEFENDANTS WAISTBAND. AFTER RETURNING TO THE PATROL VEHICLE THE UNDERSIGNED COMPLETED A UNIFORM TRAFFIC CITATION FOR NO SEATBELT. UPON RETURNING TO THE DRIVERS DOOR THE UNDERSIGNED INFORMED THE DEFENDANT OF THE CITATION AND THE ADDRESS OF THE COURT AT WHICH TIME HE BECAME BELLIGERANT REFUSED TO SIGN THE CITATION

Now as stated I did indeed to refuse to sign the ticket but the Trooper is yet again bending the truth and outright lying.. As Believe me when I'm pissed I'm extremely calm and don't talk, The only thing I said when the ticket was put in front of me is I'm not signing it. I said nothing after that and basically ignored his further requests to sign it.

THE UNDERSIGNED ONCE AGAIN REQUESTED THE DEFENDANT SIGN THE CITATION. AND HE ONCE AGAIN BEGAN YELLING AT THE UNDERSIGNED SAYING THAT THE UNDERSIGNED HAD NO RIGHT TO PULL HIM OVER AND THAT HE REFUSED TO SIGN THE CITATION

Now I didn't see this report until the next morning and upon reading it I suspect he did indeed remember our past run in as though I never yelled at him I did tell him as stated in Part 1 I had done nothing wrong, Never once in this second encounter did I yell or make any mention as to why he pulled me over until after i was at/in his car and asked him why he pulled me over...

THE UNDERSIGNED FOR THE THIRD TIME REQUESTED THE DEFENDANT TO SIGN THE CITATION TO NO AVAIL. THE UNDERSIGNED THE DEFENDANT STEP FROM HIS VEHICLE WHICH THE DEFENDANT REFUSED TO CO-OPERATE. THE UNDERSIGNED OPENED TO CAR DOOR AND PULLED THE DEFENDANT FROM THE VEHICLE AND PLACED HIM UNDER ARREST. THESE EVENTS DID HAPPEN IN )insert county here)

All I can say about that is its kind of hard to refuse to co-operate, and be pulled out of a vehicle I never got back into....

I was outside the entire time after he disarmed me standing against my car....

The funny part in his flawed account is if the above was true that,
a. I was swerving within my lane when he followed my initially, and
b. I was reported for tailgating,

Why didn't he pull me over the first time he followed me home?

He pieced together two essentially separate accounts actually three if you consider his conduct which seemed to appear that he was referencing the part 1 encounter... To justify a stop in which he had no reason to execute, only to pull a bunch of bs on me... as he did last time.

Now as to what happened, I was charged with obstruction, taken to jail, on $1000 bond and released 14 hours later, I was the last person of 12 in my holding cell to see the Magistrate and be released even though I was the third person in, and the others were there for fighting, assaulting there girlfriends, and robbery...

Needless to say come court time I won and the tape which would prove the Trooper was a complete liar was non existent... Gee I wounder why?

These accounts simply reflect that of Trooper W I have however had a half dozen or so other encounters which involved other officers and similar treatment but did not result in a citation.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

Let me just say, for those that will post on your thread, some will know others will not that I am a LEO (law enforcement officer) and have been for 6 years now. After reading your post it appears to me you definitly got screwed over and I'm glad you didn't have to pay the ticket. As I have mentioned MANY times in other posts is we do, just like EVERY other profession, have a--holes who work for us. If this story is true how you tell it, this trooper doesn't belong in my brotherhood. I had no problem with him asking to check your drivers license at the stop sign...since driving isn't a right, but once it was clear...a simple ok bud be safe going home is all that needed to happen.

Your the first person to post an incident with cops where there was actually NO other circumstances associated with this stop/meeting.

I'm guessing he is the lone prick of the department, as even you stated the OTHER trooper was a nice guy...not really pushing the issue...it was all this Trooper W......if I were you, report the trooper to his command staff. No not his local supervisor, call the state office.....like I said I will ALWAYS give people a fair shake...I don't headhunt, and won't push issues unless YOU give me a reason to. So I definitly don't like when my fellow badge holders do dumb stuff that could get me into hot water....what I mean by that is....see below:

Anyway I hand him both I also hand him what I didnt have on our past encounter my Concealed weaposn Permit, I don't have to per State laws but its a courtesy to do so, a courtesy which from now on I wont show...

See because this trooper pissed you off your going to now spite the rest of us...and your choice to spite us by NOT revealing you carry concealed COULD get you hurt/killed. I understand your issues with Trooper W and can't blame you, but now if you confront me on a traffic stop or any other incident (not saying your going to ever get into trouble..but just in case) or even an accident and there is a gun in that car that you decided NOT to inform me about...thats not good. I hope you see how I am trying to help you understand that point. Be pissed, I don't blame you...but be smart to..especially when it comes to firearms. All I am asking is you please show the carry permit for everyones safety....

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I'm guessing he is the lone prick of the department, as even you stated the OTHER trooper was a nice guy...

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I didn't hear it personally but the patrol car in the first run in was about 20ft away on the passenger side, My friend told me he thinks he overheard the Trooper he was dealing with trying to talk Trooper W out of it.

not really pushing the issue...it was all this Trooper W......if I were you, report the trooper to his command staff. No not his local supervisor, call the state office.....
Yup, I reported both instances after they happened, I don't work in the location that would have me on that road anymore but my friend still lives there, though I haven't had any encounters since then, If for some reason I run into this guy again and he pulls it I'll file harassment against him..

See because this trooper pissed you off your going to now spite the rest of us...and your choice to spite us by NOT revealing you carry concealed COULD get you hurt/killed. I understand your issues with Trooper W and can't blame you, but now if you confront me on a traffic stop or any other incident (not saying your going to ever get into trouble..but just in case) or even an accident and there is a gun in that car that you decided NOT to inform me about...thats not good. I hope you see how I am trying to help you understand that point.

Don't get me wrong I'll read the situation, If I'm ever asked to step out of my vehicle I'll inform them that I am carrying before I do, As I will also inform them if they ask.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
When I first moved to this area, the Highway Patrol pulled me over twice and wrote me tickets. I treated this tickets as though they were life and death test by immediately hiring an attorney who I told I did not want the ticket fixed, I wanted the office drug into court and beaten straight out in open court. Both times I won and both times I proceeded to file complaints against the offficer, raise hell in public hearing and basically pursued the officers for months until one day after a public hearing one of the CHPs that had pulled me over the first time walked up to me and asked me "What's Your Beef With the CHP" and I told him right to his face "I consider you preditors, fee generators and a threat to me and my family"..if you ever come after me, expect to see me in court and to fight with everything I have got. I later heard from a County Supervisor who is a big Poice Supporter that the word out on me was "Unless you've got something to throw him in jail over, leave the SOB alone"...and I have not been pulled over in 8 years now. I think they have sometung in their data base about me being trouble they don't want.

Point, never roll over, if you do, the police will get in the happen of rolling over you. Watch yourself during the "Pull Over" but after you have the ticket, GO TO WAR. Or be a sheep and sheared.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Yup. You got snaked. Can I just say it was a damn good thing he didn't have some coke or black tar heroin to dump in your auto. As in the Stephen King thriller, 'you are under arrest, what you do or say can and will be held against you, and I'm going to kill you'
I've been very fortunate with my oh so very few dealings with cops in the last 23 yrs. Fortunately I'm not a jughead and do my nippin' at home.
While I can understand your outrage under the most strangest of incidents, it probably would have been better to let Barney just go head and give your car a looksie.
I know, I know I know, its America dangit, I have my rights, apple pie and bombs bursting in air.
I was passing thru the near west side by Great Lakes Brewery in a still identity turmoiled area of yuppies, crackheads, and gangsters taking my girlfriend home late one night. Someone threateningly approached our vehicle stopped at a red light, and I bugged out. I suggest you do the same next time. My almost future father in law was a state highway patrol officer (really cool guy) said if you are even waved at while driving, keep driving, if pulled over say, hey, I didn't know you meant me.
I can see roadside checks on New years, St. Patrick day but that is just ridiculous.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I can't stand it when people say "driving is a privilege" when in fact driving is a right. I already know you and I probably will not see eye to eye on this, but many people are trained and programmed to think driving is some great privilege given to us by the State. Fact is there are now court decisions that prove driving is a right.

"The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."- Thompson v Smith 154 SE 579.

"The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the 5th Amendment." - Kent v Dulles, 357 U.S. 116, 125.

"Undoubtedly the right of locomotion, the right to remove from one place to another according to inclination, is an attribute of personal Liberty, and the right, ordinarily, of free transit from or through the territory of any State is a right secured by the l4th Amendment and by other provisions of the Constitution." - Schactman v Dulles, 96 App D.C. 287, 293.

People have the right to travel on public roadways, the people paid for those roads and are free to use them without regulation. Unfortunately if you do not have the money to hire an outstanding attorney or you are unable to gte your case heard by the Supreme Court, your rights will continue to be violated by the State in one way or another and some of these violations of your rights will be considered "normal" just like the whole idea that "driving is a privilege" or that you are required to pay income tax because it is the law.

On topic: I am not surprised by your encounter. As it has been said a million times before, not all cops are bad. There are however plenty of bad cops out there. For every story I have about a bad cop, I have an equal amount about a good cop as well. In my opinion every time you have an encounter with LEO you are taking your chances and it can go either way at any given time.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by MrWendal]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Couldn't have said it better Mr.Wendal. It's a craps game, roll of the dice if you encounter a pissed off pitbull of a cop having a really bad day.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
While I can understand your outrage under the most strangest of incidents, it probably would have been better to let Barney just go head and give your car a looksie.
I know, I know I know, its America dangit, I have my rights, apple pie and bombs bursting in air.

One could argue that the reason some LEO's abuse their power is because no one ever calls them on it and stands behind their rights, Many simply aren't used to doing it by the books, And what I mean by that is many expect Citizens to comply regardless of rather or not they have to, Not very often do LEO's encounter Citizens who know their rights to the full extent and are willing to deal with the inconvenience of a stop or court date.

They expect you to do as they say without question regardless of rather or not they are right or wrong and are used to people doing just that.

Perhaps more Citizens should start acting like Citizens and then those bad LEO's would have to either go legit or go down...

But its much easier to just comply even when you don't have to and allow them to search your vehicle when you've done nothing wrong, and its much easier to just pay that ticket even if you didn't commit the violation it claims you did..

No longer is this America land of the free home of the brave, its America land of the slaves home of the compliant, lazy, cowards.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
COle I understand your justifiable anger and outrage. There are sometimes it's better just to be compliant and roll with it. At least in my picture book. Just makes it easier for everyone in the long run. Everyone is so jacked up and sometimes hostile these days. What with 911 and litt'l old ladies taking there shoes off to board a plane our world indeed has seemed to go insane.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
COle I understand your justifiable anger and outrage. There are sometimes it's better just to be compliant and roll with it. At least in my picture book.

With this I disagree. I think people for far too long have taken this type of attitude that it will go easier "if you just play ball and roll with it". Especially in a post 9-11 world where so many of our rights are being violated, now is the time to stop "rolling with it" and now is the time that people demand that their rights not be infringed upon. It just takes a little at a time, then eventually you have nothing left.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I knew perfectly well my attitude regarding this would be unpopular. I was a cougar in my 20's and 30's, I'm 45 now. Just an old tiger more adept at yawning and lolling in the sun than taking over issues of this matter. Sorry if that makes me a sell out, it is what it is.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Actually I do not think that makes you sell out at all. If anything I have heard similar analogies before, usually from people older than mid 40's though
Unfortunately so many people young and old have taken similar views.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The old man and the sea. He used to dream of young maidens. But contents his nocturnal activities to lions in the sun. What can I say, I lived hard. My mum always said I'd die hard. LOL.
I have a natural aversion to pissing off leo's who pack 9mm semi autos for a living. Call me crazy.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The law is different in the UK, but it seems there is a similarity in some respects in the attitudes of a very few police officers.

When I first moved back down here a few years ago (small town, unknown face) I was stopped on 4 separate occasions in the space of 2 weeks.

Two of these stops were put down to "mistaken identity" which was easily cleared up, as I was perfectly willing to give my name and address - I did however refuse to allow them to search me, asserting my right that they must have reasonable grounds for suspicion. In other words, I would not consent "voluntarily" to be searched.

I actually heard one of the officers mutter "we got one of them have we" - which I took to mean someone who knows their rights.

The same officer stopped and tried to search me on 2 other occasions.

Both times I was walking down the street in daylight, doing nothing wrong.
He said on the last occasion that "someone fitting my description" had been reported as acting suspiciously - The thing is, I could hear his radio and the description was nothing like me. Different height, different clothes, heavier build - the only thing in common was a hat.
Needless to say I pointed this out, and was in the process of asserting my rights - he actually started to become a little aggressive, and things could have got out of hand.
Luckily (for me or him I can't say) an old friend of mine from my earliest days of pubbing and clubbing is a policeman in the town, and he saw what was happening and sorted it out - I haven't been troubled since.

It seems that there are those in every country who try and abuse their power, or carry grudges.

For info, here are a persons rights in the UK.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I would not consent to search without probable cause, especially without many officers present. I had an experience when I was younger, coincidentally enough with two Troopers, who did in fact plant drugs in my car. If I had not been a good friend of the family to a high ranking Homicide investigator at the SP, I would have been in a lot of trouble. As it was, my girlfriend and I were both beaten by these two Troopers. The Troopers were transferred.

This is one of the more severe run-ins I had with law-enforcement when I was younger. But I had always chalked it up to the fact that I was just some punk kid in the wrong place at the wrong time. I really thought things would be different when I got older for some reason.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Star for your post. I'll let other people take issue with the "right/privilege to drive" issue, but I fully concur with you on the concealed weapon issue.

Cole, it's one thing to take a beating on principle, but please don't get shot for one. Not like that anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I can't stand it when people say "driving is a privilege" when in fact driving is a right.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you live in the US, driving is a privilege.

The public streets and highways belong to the people and are overseen by the government.

You might have the right to drive on private property, where the laws of the road do not apply, but when you put rubber to the public byways, you are exercising a privilege granted to you by your state government.

In many jurisdictions, a judge may decide after your driving privileges have been revoked that your car is essential to your making a living and grant you the privilege of driving to and from work, but screw up once you're out of luck.

You might have a right to move freely about the country, but not necessarily while driving a car. Someone else can drive for you. You can take a cab, a bus, or a plane. You can even walk, but driving on the public thoroughfares is a privilege that you earn and you better play by the rules.

www.caldriversedonline.com...

www.ncdot.org...

data.opi.mt.gov...

There are a lot of opinions out there by bloggers who insist that driving is a right, but every state has laws that tell a different story.

[edit on 2008/4/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

Part of this is your own fault in a way. In this one way. After the first encounter, you should have gone to see an attorney. They would have made this guys life miserable. It would have ended with either a suspension, or out right firing. This would have also started a paper trail that would have made life a lot easier in the future. If he did decide to mess with you it would have definitly been his last act as a member of the force. Other than that I would like to commend you on your restraint, and not sinking down into his trap of trying to get you to do something stupid.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well it looks like its not over...

I just received a notice that my license has been suspended effective next week due to an unpaid citation I was never given No seatbelt, reasons stated above nor did I ever receive a summons for this citation...

DMV won't even deal with me until the citation is resolved which means, I could be waiting up to 6 months, then when thats resolved I have to pay to have it reinstated...

I'm glad I saved all of my statements and such... looks like i got some work to do.. this is such bull....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join