It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very Hot video of Tsunami on Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Astronomers have captured the first footage of a solar "tsunami" hurtling through the Sun's atmosphere at over a million kilometres per hour.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Apparently the Tsunami is not water based but more a energy force from something like a massive sunspot. Captured by NASA's twin stereo spacecraft, it is a must see. It really brings home the fact that we are just so young in the face of our Universe, and the mysteries are just begining to unfold.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Is this old news? It seems so as I checked the NASA site and in their search it came up as this being a 2006 story. Still interesting as can be. If there is another thread about this, please feel free to trash this one. Sorry.

apod.gsfc.nasa.gov...
Silly me, I was all excited that something new was happening...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I don't think so it is an old news; the same was published in the space news on April 1st with a video in it;

Solar Tsunamis Move at Astronomical Speeds

Watch video here

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
He he.. A sun burp!

I wonder what the cause is? A star quake? Internal convection?

The explosions release about two billion times the annual world's energy consumption in just a fraction of a second.

That makes me think that we are very bad at making and using energy - it's not that we use too much at all - we could use all we want! once we get over our oil addiction... grrr.

[edit on 3/4/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I wonder what the cause is? A star quake? Internal convection?

Naw we can blame it on global warming or something.. You know those damn people wit all them space ships and such.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by ThichHeaded]

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic– Review This Link.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Just want to bump this back onto the forum for further discussions. What an amazing video! I wonder if we can find some better footage of the event? If there were UFO's in the area at the time it would mean that these events can be expected rather than a total surprise. I know that many do not believe the little round blips that run fast across the space in and around the space cameras are UFOs but I do. Working on this antique computer until the new one arrives severly limits my ability to jump around to the usual sites with ease to check for these anomolies.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Although not frequent events this is not new.

Still very impressive to watch though, especially when considering the scale!

Here's a rare capture from an Earth based telelscope , from December 2006

tsunami-like shock wave

www.space.com...
The tsunami-like shock wave, formally called a Moreton wave, rolled across the hot surface,
destroying two visible filaments of cool gas on opposite sides of the visible face of the Sun.

...Flares like this one are spawned by sunspots, which are dark, cool regions that cap magnetic activity below.
When the caps pop, colossal doses of superheated matter and radiation are unleashed.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thanks Jbird for your comments, I wonder what the EMF readings looked like during this event?
Do you suppose that the strange weather here had anything to do with those ripples you can see fanning out from the solar tsunami ?

I am learning since my time here on ats the scientific side to what I have always felt spiritually. We are so responsible and connected to the entire Universe. It gets smaller all the time.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wow, I never knew that these kind of things happened on stars. This is really amazing for me. What else goes on, with stars?

I have to do a lot of research on these things now. I never realized that the sun can do more than produce heat and light.

Great find!

new topics

top topics

join