It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health benefits of water 'urban myth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Health benefits of water 'urban myth'

www.news.com.au

One is that drinking a lot of water suppresses appetite.
-----
The second myth is that filling up on water flushes toxins from the body.
-----
The third myth is that it reduces headaches. It does not, according to the evidence.
-----
The fourth myth is that water drinking improves your skin.
-----
Dr Goldfarb also said there was no rational basis for the widespread belief that people needed to drink eight glasses of water a day, and it was unclear where this recommendation came from.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The article goes into more detail on the myths.

Upon reading this i realised that i have believed most of these, (especially number two and eight glases) without scientific evidence to back it all up.

I do wish, however, that the scientist told us more about his own recommendations so we could see the conclusion to his research.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What a load of BS.

Water is the fluid of life.

I know that from personal experience I feel stronger and have more stamina as long as I drink plenty often. When I'm short on water I become lethargic.

It should be proof enough that we'll die, if we don't drink any. Maybe they could do a study and quit drinking water and see what happens to them.

It must be some kind of conspiracy to keep people from carrying adequate supplies of water.

I've always felt it should be a basic human right to carry your own water wherever you go. I'm disturbed by those who believe that they can tell us where or when we can bring life giving water. Like security butt holes at stadiums that are really more concerned with generating more revenue than a few miscreants smuggling booze.

Air travel is even worse. You get dehydrated traveling and now they limit our basic needs of carrying our own water - just because the lazy ____es don't want to take the time to check for explosive fluids - they ban life giving ones and slowly kill us themselves.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I agree, VLF... Lets have this fellow stop drinking water (in any form) for a month and see what he has to say about water myths. Sounds fair to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm fairly certain SilentShadow didn't mean that drinking water is bad and something to be avoided. Just that a certain few specific myths regarding its usage are perhaps ungrounded.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
No idea where the 8 glasses a day recommendation came from? Nice.

Wow, that's good to know. I've heard the 8 glasses a day thing forever, only noticed lately that it isn't being pushed as much, but maybe that's due to not watching children TV shows . I swear I even think Mickey Mouse pushed it to me in the 80s during an episode of Mousercise.

Very Interesting. More so if you think about the effects of fluoride in water. The more water you drink, the more fluoride (and what ever other chemicals, anti-depressants so on) you ingest.

Just drink when your thirsty. I mean that's your internal indicator, shouldn't we trust our thirst?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, if you're stuck with a system that has fluoridated water all you need is a water purifier. Most all of them take out most of the clorine, floride, and some even remove microscopic bacteria.

The solution to pollution is dilution.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Eight glasses a day is probably our recommended dosage of fluoride to consume so that we're reliant on the health industry by age 30 and never reach the age to collect our social security checks.

I'd say I drink probably 2-3 small glasses of water a WEEK.

My skin looks fine. Teeth are fine. Good vital signs such as blood pressure and heart rate. Never sick. No headache problems. No organ failure. No intestinal failure.

Absolutely nothing wrong with me whatsoever.

Am I just some anomaly or are their "studies" pure garbage, as always?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I'm fairly certain SilentShadow didn't mean that drinking water is bad and something to be avoided. Just that a certain few specific myths regarding its usage are perhaps ungrounded.

Indeed, thankyou for that.

I in no way am saying that water is bad, and if you read the article; neither does it. There is just a few myths surrounding the health benefits of it that appear to be false.

The eight glasses a day i agree is probably not true, however, ingesting that much liquid may be necessary. I remember a health doctor was asked at uni about the necessity of water and drinking only water to get the benefits from it.

He replied along the lines of:

"If you drink water or coke, it does not matter. Your body will be able to extract the water that it needs from either source. Where the problem lies in health is within the additives of coke, however a glass of water or coke will supply your body with the same water."

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Remember that the water here in the US is filled with minerals and other drugs. therefore healthy water is hard to find...

new topics

top topics

join