It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer software can judge physical attractiveness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Computer software can judge physical attractiveness

www.gadgetell.com

To put it simply, the software gauges the distance and symmetry as well as texture and tone of the face. While Artificial Intelligence will perhaps never match human intuition, this could be useful for picking models, as well as facial-recognition software.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
So now beauty will be decided by robots. I don't know if I want robots telling me what is beautiful I would rather do that on my own. When we let them decide that for us were really in trouble.

www.gadgetell.com

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

So now beauty will be decided by robots. I don't know if I want robots telling me what is beautiful I would rather do that on my own. When we let them decide that for us were really in trouble.

www.gadgetell.com

I agree with you.

I personally have found that one's personality changes the way they look on the outside. So someone who, according to society's standards, appears on the outside to be "model material"....if they have a crappy personality they become pretty ugly physically IMO

So, this software isnt able to do that.

As far as facial recognition. I find that quite fascinating....however, im a criminal justice/forensics major and I can see how this software will be useful.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yep I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and with that comes personality too.

I don't need no machine to tell me what's beautiful.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Yep I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and with that comes personality too.

Is that really any worse than some powermongering Hollywood pinhead telling you, me, and millions of others what is beautiful (Hollywood people) and what is not (everyone else)?

Let's give machines their due. At least so far they have proven to be fairer, juster, and without the sort of cruelty common in human animals.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmTetsuo

Is that really any worse than some powermongering Hollywood pinhead telling you, me, and millions of others what is beautiful (Hollywood people) and what is not (everyone else)?

Let's give machines their due. At least so far they have proven to be fairer, juster, and without the sort of cruelty common in human animals.

Not worse or anything, it's simply an individual thing. The machine can tell us that this person is more attractive than another person, but in reality everyone thinks different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Akira, great movie.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
before you guys start taking this topic personally, there have already been plenty of studies on how beauty is decided on certain proportions, and follow the same rules as gestalt. Of course everyone has a preference, but on average, using formulas and measurements is just as accurate.

For example, it's not even new technology that will allow you to scan the faces of 100 people you find the most attractive. Hell, even 20 faces. It can analyze all the features, proportions, colors, etc. and basically know your type.

It's technically the same process as analyzing faces of crowds to catch a criminal, only less orwellian. or not.

check this video out for a great example along these lines, but a little different:

[edit on 2-4-2008 by scientist]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Yes I have nothing against this, I actually love it, any new technology makes me excited! We are living in interesting times.

Just for me "personally" I wont need it, because for example, you see many "beautiful" people, and can agree they are beautiful, but you may not be attracted to them. I think it goes deeper than what that technology can do for now. Because there are many factors to what's beautiful.

I like it and all.

But what worries me is, I don't want people going into a world where machines tells us what people are. Can't we make our "own" minds up.
It's already bad enough with people just looking at papers about you and making judgements about you before even meeting you, like job interviews etc. instead of looking at you in the eyes for who you really are.

Whats next? machines that tells us what jobs we should do, how intelligent you are by reading your genetics, Who you should marry etc etc. We should be carefull of not losing our ability to make our own minds up.

Other than that I can see many good uses for this technology.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
So what would such a system "think" of someone like myself, who literally finds almost every woman he's ever laid eyes upon attractive? It might be able to achieve a high level of accuracy on average, but any claim that it can absolutely gauge attractiveness are dubious at best in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

But what worries me is, I don't want people going into a world where machines tells us what people are.

I still don't understand.

We already live in a world where other people - make that cabals of very powerful people - tell us what people are, and what people should be like. Hollywood, Madison Avenue, the educational system, the medical establishment, organized religion, "society", etc. And the people mostly listen and follow.

How would machines make it any different?

Can't we make our "own" minds up.
It's already bad enough with people just looking at papers about you and making judgements about you before even meeting you, like job interviews etc. instead of looking at you in the eyes for who you really are.

Come to think of it, I would rather be judged by someone looking at a sheet of paper with an objective summary of my skills and accomplishments than by someone looking into my eyes and projecting his or her personal prejudices. If this make me sound autistic, then I'm sorry, but it is the other side of the coin.

It's hard to come up with "he's too fat", "he's too skinny", "he's too short", "he lack social skills", "he lacks confidence", "he dresses not in Hollywood style", "he has a scar below his right ear", "he limps when he walks" etc. etc. from a sheet of paper or a computer monitor.

Whats next? machines that tells us what jobs we should do, how intelligent you are by reading your genetics, Who you should marry etc etc. We should be carefull of not losing our ability to make our own minds up.

In a society where most people already have lost the ability to make up their own minds thanks to the machinations of powerful people, I see no added threat from machines. Believe me, such people already have, and still are, going to use everything in their power to maintain and enforce their prejudices. Including technology.

BTW, Akira rocks!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
personality is at least 75% of my gauge of beauty. i will EASILY be more attracted to someone who is maybe plain or less physically attractive but has above average intelligence or is really outgoing. i have actually been repulsed by beautiful women just because they had the personality and or intelligence of a brick. make me some software that can take into account factors other than physical appearance and you may be on to something.

new topics

top topics

join