It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calibers to round size references

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Alright, so I've noticed that some people confuse calibers with their respective bullet sizes and I do as well as I don't know what all the bullet sizes are in terms of calibers.

So I think we should make a thread about and list all the calibers and corresponding bullet sizes/barrels that it goes along with.

I'd appreciate it if the more experienced members would pitch in.

I guess I'll start off with what I know, it'll be a fill in the blanks kinda thing:

Format-(Bullet size=caliber)

9x??mm=???
5.56x45mm=.223
7.62x39mm=???
7.62x63mm=.30-06
7.62x51mm=???
7.62x??mm=.308

I just want to have a reference thread for us all to go back and look at. Of course there are many more, I'm just starting it off to get the main idea across.

For now lets deal with NATO as I'm sure there are several other calibers.

Anyone correct me if I've gotten something wrong already.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

Get yourself a loading manual and you'll find all the pertinent data.

There are a lot of outdated manuals out there and they're not too expensive.
They would be good for sizes etc.

Use a new manual for reloading.

Even though powders are labeled the same, their burn rates can change and the new manuals reflect that.

Keep in mind too that some barrel bores are different.
A case in point is the 22 LR vs the 22 Magnum.
If I remember right the magnum has a .002 larger bore.
The convertible weapons - usually a handgun - that shoot either use the larger bore size.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In general, it’s useful to remember the “Rule of Four” when trying to estimate (in general) the equivalency of metric vs. standard American caliber designations. That is, multiply the metric caliber times four and that will give you the American equivalent, for example: 12.5 mm equals .50 cal., 10mm equals .40 cal., etc.
Some calibers do not translate exactly (say the 9mm would equate to .36 cal. when in reality it’s closer in effect to a .38 cal.) but it gives a rough idea of the approximate power and size of a given round for comparison purposes.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Alright good. Thanks for the help.

But I had hoped we could list all the accurate data here for easy reference for everyone, not just me you know?

So instead of everyone who is interested in going out and finding manuals, we have it all listed already in one place. Just an idea.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
i have my lyman reloading manual right here- what cartridges do you want to know of exactly?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
All of them, I'm trying to get a list going for reference.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
well you have the 30/06- best cartridge ever in my opinion
308- 7.62x51 also the 7.62 nato as it is called
30 cals encompass a wide range of sizes- they can vary from .297 all the way to .310
same as the 223 is actually a .224 bullet and the remington 222 mag is also a 224 bullet
there are varying degrees is sizes but to get the most accuracy you need to match the bullet size with your rifle bore
cartridge sizes can be mis leading in terms of bullet size- for example the 218 bee is also a .224 bullet
7mm is .2845
9mm is .355 which is the same bullet used in 357 mag and sig and the 38 special
and the 9mm (luger or parebellum which ever you prefer it's the same cartridge) is 9mmx19
can get confusing with out a book- thereloading manual is one of my bibles lol
anymore you want to know of just ask

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Shattered,

Intresting post you have made here. It would be good reference material for many out here.

Also DesertDawg makes a very good point about the reloading manuals. I have my olde Hornady reloading manual but also purchased a new version. The 10mm is not listed in my olde manual nor is the 40 caliber. Nor is the 7.62x39mm reloading tables.

By the way ..for those intrested in 7.62x39mm..in the SKS and AK 47 type rifles this bullet works out to some .311 diameter.

THe 7.62x 51 and the 30.06 are bullets in .308 diameter. This is a very important knowlege of which to be abreast. I do not recommend loading .311 diameter bullets in a .308. It will cause high pressures. YOu can load a .308 diameter bullet into a .311 barrel.

Well Shattered...now Ive done it..running off at the mouth I decided to go to the other computer deskand grab my latest Hornady Reloading Manual.

Ok..here goes..

.223 or 5.56mm =.224 caliber.
6mm =.243 caliber
6.5mm =.264 caliber.
7mm=.284 caliber
7.62mm =.308.....with exceptions as mentioned above.
7.7mm =.312 caliber..this is also the caliber loaded in the .303 british Enfields.
8mm = .323 calliber.

9mm=.355 caliber in pistol rounds
38/.357 magnums =.357 diameter bullets.
45 ACP caliber = .451 diameter

Note here...
THe .45 Long colt bullets of cowboy fame are .452 diamter
.44 magnum and .44 special bullets are .430 diameter
The .444 Marlin rifle also uses .430 diameter bullets but the weight range goes up considerably on the high end....about 300 grains ..that is a heavy bullet.

Nonetheless ..this is a rough outline..especially in the rifle sections.

Best to consult a reloading chart as Desert Dawg correctly stated. I will also add here that there are numerous reloading sites to be found here on the web complete with charts showing the applicable bullet diameters and also the powder charges and primer types ..up to the .50 BMG calibers.

Those of us who reload..also keep on hand micrometers and dial calipers in order to check out bullet diameters and also our case lengths. It wont do to get different bullets mixed up when reloading. Some of us even weigh our bullets on scales. WE can be a real anal bunch when it comes to precision and accuracy.

Hope this helps Shattered.

Orangetom

[edit on 3-4-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Alright, so I've noticed that some people confuse calibers with their respective bullet sizes and I do as well as I don't know what all the bullet sizes are in terms of calibers.

So I think we should make a thread about and list all the calibers and corresponding bullet sizes/barrels that it goes along with.
[...]

9x??mm=???
5.56x45mm=.223
7.62x39mm=???
7.62x63mm=.30-06
7.62x51mm=???
7.62x??mm=.308

[...]

Shattered Skies, I´m not exactly sure what to make of your post. I don´t want to act smart, but I see some misconceptions here.

First you say you want to make a reference of "bullet sizes" with their respective barrel calibers, but your own conversion of the metric to imperial scale only names the bullet sizes. Or, as Orangetom said, the 5,56x45mm bullet doesn´t have a caliber of .223 (remington); instead both the 5,56mm and the .223 have a barrel caliber of .224 inches.

For a comprehensive list of bullet sizes in metric and imperial measures vs. their caliber there is a more or less comprehensive list on Wikipedia, or see Orangetoms post.

Second, if your idea was to simply convert the metric measures to imperial measures... well, one just can´t do that. The basic problem is that every bullet measure indication is not just that, a measurement. It is also an individual name for a very specific build of the bullet.

Again lets take the 5,56x45mm NATO and the .223 Rem cartridges. While these two are similar from their outer measures, there are also distinctive differences between them that are not covered by the measures alone. For example firearms built for the metric cartridge are technically able to handle higher pressures than those built for the .223 Rem; which means firing a 5,56mm from a "weaker" rifle optimized for the .223 can lead to dangerous and even catastrophic results.

What this leads us to is that, if we want to be precise and on the safe side, we may never call a 5,56x45mm cartridge a .223 Rem in short, or we may not call a 7,62x51mm a .308 Winchester, we even have to distinguish cartridges like the Mauser 8x57mm I from the Mauser 8x57mm IS ... because we are speaking of different cartridges here that SOMETIMES need entirely different weapons.

[edit on 3/4/2008 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Shattered,

Lonestar is correct here. His example of the 8x57mm is a good one.

The early Mauser rifles were chambered for a different diameter than later. As I recall the early diameter of these bores was set up for a bullet labeled 8X57mm but had a diameter of .318. Later this was standardized to what is today the .323 diameter and also called the 8X57mm.
I may have this wrong but the early rifles are labeled as 8X57mm J rifles.
THe .323 diameter rifles are often called S rifles or sometimes the 7.92mm Mauser.

This is in similar vein to what I termed the 7.62x39mm being .311 diameter verses our 7.62x51 bullet being .308.

This is not crucial to the average researcher or enthusiast..but for reloaders this can be critical and cause unsafe conditions.

More subtiltys abound in these tables. 30.06 loads suitable for bolt action rifles are often unsuitable over the long run for semi autos. My Hornady loading manual lists a totally different set of tables for loading bolt actions and then another table for loading for the M1 Garand..they are the same chambering.

.308 sporting ammunition is often hotter than 7.62x51mm ammo used by the military...unless it is special loadings.

Here again in the Hornady manual there is a different set of tables for the .308 and another set of tables for the 7.62X51mm used in the M1A rifles. This is in like manner to the 30.06 and M1 Garand tables.

THese peculearitys are why a reloader obtains tables and books to understand the subtiltys of the art.

Hope this does not confuse to much. These examples are merely peculearitys/subtiltys of the art.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
www.buckshotscamp.com...
this is a good article on caliber sizes and all

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Alright thanks guys, since I'm not a reloader and I have no experience with handling ammunition, I thought I'd seek help within the community.

I had the idea that we should create a reference table of sorts so that when new members or even old members need to look back to check their calibers, they have an easy place to do it.

Ok so I see that there are metrics and imperials and that these rounds correspond to each other differently.

This might be a wee bit more complicated than I thought, guess it won't fit as easily on a spreadsheet.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ShatteredSkies

.17 4.4 mm .172 .17 Remington, .17 HMR
.177 4.5 mm .177 lead, .175 BB Airgun and BB gun .177 caliber
.20, .204 5 mm .204 .204 Ruger
.22, .218, .219 .220, .221, .222, .223, .224, .225, .226 5.5, 5.56, 5.7 mm .223-.224 .22 Long Rifle, .223 Remington (5.56mm NATO), 5.7 x 28 mmWikipedia

The above is a partial list from Wikipedia. Maybe the experts here can check it for accuracy. I find that reference page to be a very fast and easy way to compare caliber to metric or vice versa.

new topics

top topics

join