It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Videographer Needs Tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am an amateur videographer and I am looking for tips on how I can best film a show for my local Cable Access Channel. Some of the scenes will take place outside, so I could use some tips on what type of michrophones to use for those scenes. I would also appreciate any other tips that people could offer me on how to make video's for the local Cable Access Channel that don't suck.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My wife and i were followed around for 12 months by a channel four documentry team two years ago and being a photographer i was more intrerested in the techniques they used more than what they were filming.
The obvious things were.

Get in close, you don't want to much dead space around the subject.

When editing keep the clips short. Five to ten seconds is a long time for a clip.

Take lots of little shots that you can use between scenes. an example was that they would film just one of my wheels as i drove away and they would film me changing gear.

Look for emotion in your subjects, it adds interest.

As for the microphones, The crews always work in two's, one films and one does the sound by using a digital sound recorder and boom rig.
They then edit them together later.
The reason for this i think is so that they can move off the subject whilst still keeping the sound going.

Hope this helps a little.

Oh, and one last thing.
They took over two hundred hours of film for a one hour programme.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by jon1]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Fill the frame with interesting things (doesn't always have to be subjects), don't zoom in and out (dunno if you're above this level), and keep the action going. Don't have anything boring or things that take more than a few seconds and you should be right. Nothing annoys me more than a sloooow pan when a nice cut would get the job done better.

All of this coming from a photographer, though, so I hope I don't wreck your career

Jon1, what do you photograph?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Hi.
I photograph anything really. i do a lot of voluntary work where i live and i do some of Chester cathedrals photos twice a year.

Check out my website at

www.johnwatts.webeden.co.uk...

Others that i did as a volunteer are here...chesterfestpix.webeden.co.uk...

Hope you like them.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by jon1]

new topics

top topics

join