It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Atheist Thrashing Service

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Seeing as to how you like to continue whining "conspiracy" here is a response from a mod about miss MM and why she was forced to leave.

reply to post by madnessinmysoul

No, she didn't. She was banned for numerous violations of the T&C and would not desist when asked NUMEROUS times.

BTW, I gave you that one. Next personal post gets warned.

post by intrepid

Which of course fits my experience with her.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I call bull.

When I first came to ATS six weeks or so ago, every single thread in CiR was critical of Jesus or Christianity. Either accussing the Bible as being made up... or Jesus that never actually existed or that he was just based on Horus or some other legend. The founding fathers were anti Christians... blah blah... It seems to me that critics of faith FAR out number the faithful. It's just that a couple of us made our own threads and you can dish it out but you can't take it.

Cry me a river Madd.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me but I see bashing and insults on both sides of the fence when it comes to the religious issues. Every faith topic seems to become a Christianity vs Athiest topic even if the OP never intended it to be that way and there are always accusations and insults on both sides.

It's a subject that calls the very core of our belief system of existance into question and many of us become overly-passionate when discussing the matter, I know I myself have been guilty of such. You should know when getting into those debates that it will most likely get heated because people are very passionate and serious about their beliefs just as you are of your non-belief.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Everything I can say on this topic was said last night HERE. It truly does work both ways. I will be the first to admit I have a bias in favor of Christians but the same pattern has happened time and time again:

A Christian will be antagonized mercilessly and repeatedly, typically display Zen-like patience, finally dish out the same treatment (or even a fraction of what they received), only to have the original antagonist fall back to play the victim. Not that retaliatory comments are ever acceptable but being human beings it is at least understandable.

Like Whammy, when I was new here all I remember thinking is, 'My Goodness! This place [the CIR forum] is a madhouse!' I must live in a bubble because I never saw such hate spewed against Christians until participating in that forum.

MIMS, you and I get along pretty well and agree to disagree on respectful terms. However, I must be fair and say I have seen you bait others only to turn around and rebuke them for what they just said to you without ever thinking about what you said to get them riled in the first place. Something to think about.

Take care.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Astyanax

oh, i remember that incident...same poster who questioned my sexuality and has repeatedly and blatantly lied about many things

When someone inquires/insinuates my sexuality I politely remind them that I am not in the market for seeking a mate either permanent or temorporary- if this changes I will be happy to dicsuss it upon reciept of their photo. NO PIC- NO REPLY.

I freely admit that I am shallow in my intial choosing methods for my own sexual attraction toward a mate. This should be carefully considered and remembered should anyone interested wish to take this query to the next level.

End of discussion....for the time being!

PS- All religious people will encouraged to apply as conversion maybe considered if my first rule is respected- this is how I keep an open mind

[edit on 3-4-2008 by dk3000]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dk3000

Hey, DK. First of all, I will miss your old avatar! My four year old was especially intrigued by it. Second, the member who made the homosexuality barb did so after having his 'rectum' brought up in the discussion first. I'll say it again. There are always two sides to every story. Always. Not making excuses for either side but I've had my body parts brought up by opponents before and let's just say my reply was not as nice as Con's.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
When I first came to ATS six weeks or so ago, every single thread in CiR was critical of Jesus or Christianity.

to quote you

I call bull.

well, it's more hyperbole than bull on your part.

let's go in the six weeks back machine.

off the top of my head i can pull out "The Anti-Christian Conspiracy"
it's a thread that's been around since before i joined.
it's regularly on the first page of CiR. it's a very pro-jesus thread.

then there's "Koran is a Fake" which was around for at least a month before you joined, it's an anti-islam thread

there's "the Mormon Church Sex Abuse Conspiracy" which has to do with a specific incident regarding the Mormon church

there's "World population aproaching 6,660,000,000" also not anti-christian and also before your time here

just titles now, cause they seem fairly obvious:

"The "UN" instigates a "BAN" on religion!"

"Very WEIRD letter! Anyone know what this is about?"

"Jehovah's Witnesses believe UN will ban Religion"

"Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List"

"Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'"

"What IF I debunked Scientology? Would that 'religion' come after me?"

"Conspiracy against true spiritual potential" (this one is an even-handed take on things)

"The Evil's of Scientology"

"What is your view on religion/spiritualism genuinely?"

"Has Religion Done More Good Than Bad For Humanity?" (also a very neutral topic)

"Muhammad - Prophet or Profiteer of God?"

"NEEDED: everyones theories, beliefs, facts on the bible...post here" (open inquiry)

"Napoleon and the Jesuit-led New World Order"

"who wants a tattoo cellphone?"

alright, that's just going to page 2. i could go further back to make your hyperbole seem even more ridiculous, but i think i've made my point

Either accussing the Bible as being made up... or Jesus that never actually existed or that he was just based on Horus or some other legend. The founding fathers were anti Christians... blah blah...

so legitimate criticism that was attacking a book
attacking the historicity of a character in that book
and talking about history

all of that is now equal to attacking atheists?

the threads i'm having a problem with actually actively attack atheists

their titles are "Is there a conspiracy of atheists to overthrow christianity?"

or your thread "are atheists airbrushing history?"

there's a huge difference there when you're talking about a group of people and we're talking about books and history...

It seems to me that critics of faith FAR out number the faithful.

eh, i wouldn't know.

It's just that a couple of us made our own threads and you can dish it out but you can't take it.

refer to my previous point. you're attacking us, we're attacking arguments. it's kind of different. you're calling out atheists and we're calling out historical ideas and books...
it's quite the big difference.

Cry me a river Madd.

whammy, all you have is a thoroughly unrealistic view of how things were on CiR and the sad view that us discussing your beliefs is equivalent to you accusing us of airbrushing history.

Originally posted by AshleyD
A Christian will be antagonized mercilessly and repeatedly, typically display Zen-like patience, finally dish out the same treatment (or even a fraction of what they received), only to have the original antagonist fall back to play the victim. Not that retaliatory comments are ever acceptable but being human beings it is at least understandable.

crap. show me a place where an atheist has "antagonized mercilessly and repeatedly" a christian who then displayed zen like patience.

especially the zen like patience part.

Like Whammy, when I was new here all I remember thinking is, 'My Goodness! This place [the CIR forum] is a madhouse!' I must live in a bubble because I never saw such hate spewed against Christians until participating in that forum.

please, highlight some hate for me. i'd like to see it because i have to give a talkin to whoever's spreading it.

MIMS, you and I get along pretty well and agree to disagree on respectful terms. However, I must be fair and say I have seen you bait others only to turn around and rebuke them for what they just said to you without ever thinking about what you said to get them riled in the first place. Something to think about.

...um...example?
seriously, if i did this i want to apologize to who i did it to and then i want to make sure i don't do it again.

reply to post by WraothAscendant

it's called contributing. the topic here isn't really MM, you just slandered her and i jumped to the defense of a member well respected on here.

the topic here is that atheists don't seem to get the same treatment from the mods that theists get. they're a bit harsher on us.

reply to post by gormly

i know there are a few people...some fairly new to the forum...that do behave in that manner, but that doesn't seem to be the norm for atheist posters on ATS by any stretch.

and i'm not talking all theists vs all atheists here, this is about a few certain threads and a few posts and some bits of preferential treatment.

reply to post by AshleyD

i said he was pulling things out of his rectum when he said that the FBI took down atheist hate sites

instead of actually validating his claim (which he couldn't, because it was an outright lie, hence the comment about pulling things from his rectum), he insinuated something about my sexuality.

that's entirely uncalled for. using poetic language to say that someone is just making things up does not justify someone questioning the sexuality of another nor is it a T&C violation or baiting.

he made stuff up and called me gay when i called him out on it, it's that simple and he was that homophobicly crude.

[edit on 4/3/08 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

I think the problem is that we "attack" your religion and you respond by attacking *us*. Big difference. All I ask is for rational debate, but that seems to be impossible around here.

I would actually be all for eliminating any religion threads entirely. There's just no point to them. Let the believers go to their own websites and discuss that stuff. It has no place on a public mixed forum. Discussions never go anywhere worthwhile.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i said he was pulling things out of his rectum when he said that the FBI took down atheist hate sites

I just finished explaining this in the other thread before seeing this comment so I do not see the need in repeating myself here.

instead of actually validating his claim (which he couldn't, because it was an outright lie, hence the comment about pulling things from his rectum), he insinuated something about my sexuality.

To be fair, you were both wrong. Things got heated. He felt provoked and retaliated. He has now apologized. Can you do the same, MIMS? And I am asking honestly.

crap. show me a place where an atheist has "antagonized mercilessly and repeatedly" a christian who then displayed zen like patience.

especially the zen like patience part.

How many examples would you like? Will you actually approve of any of them? I think Sizzle's thread is an excellent example to start with. She was a true class act and apologized left and right and was wholly courteous until even she could no longer stand it. If I had to put up with half of what she did, you would not be here talking to me right now because I would have been banned.

please, highlight some hate for me. i'd like to see it because i have to give a talkin to whoever's spreading it.

How much time do you have? I cannot mention names but there is one member here who has openly admitted their main reason for being here is to discredit Christianity. And I also listed a few examples on the other thread of what has happened to me.

MIMS. I am going to try to be understanding and explain something to me my mother told me long ago. We all see things from our own perspective. As she put it, everyone in this world is a 'me' in their eyes while the rest of the world consists of 'you's.' Then when you tell someone that you are the 'me' and they are the 'you,' they will correct you by saying they are the 'me' and you are the 'you.' We're all going to see it from our own end.

So, it is highly possible this is indeed going on by both sides but since we all see ourselves as the 'me' we are biased and cannot see it from the other 'me' perspective.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Neiby

What should I have called my thread "Is Atheism Airbrushing History?"

Then you guys would claim that is impossible an "ism" can't do anything. And then the standard story about how you guys aren't really organized... its like herding cats blah blah blah...

Just because someone says "Are atheists whatever" doesn't necessarily mean ALL of them are doing it... it only take two to conspire. If you take it personally then I don't know maybe it's because the shoe fits?

[edit on 4/3/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by dk3000

Hey, DK. First of all, I will miss your old avatar! My four year old was especially intrigued by it. Second, the member who made the homosexuality barb did so after having his 'rectum' brought up in the discussion first. I'll say it again. There are always two sides to every story. Always. Not making excuses for either side but I've had my body parts brought up by opponents before and let's just say my reply was not as nice as Con's.

Ashley I gave you a star!!!!! How's that for growth! (I rarely ever agree with anything you say- I just cannot argue with a 4-year old...Your child I mean! LOL)

PS- I might re-load that avatar again. If you u2u me with an email I will send your child the file.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
All I can say is the proverbial "if you can't take the heat, stay outta the kitchen".

And how are we supposed to know what sex anyone is here by the names and the avatars? I'm an older woman and everybody thought I was a young male at first. I never took offense to it and kinda thought it was funny.

But that's just me! I do have a sense of humor...some don't.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant

And your precious Major was worst of it. That is why she is gone. And I say good riddens.

Amen to that brother. amen to that.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Also, when I was a new member here, I remember I used to post and defend my beliefs in those faith, spirituality and theology forums all the time.

Now that I look back I can't believe I wasted my time like that.

Truthfully I think part of it stemmed from a slight insecurity. I think that's why some members are so obsessed with posting about it.

Nowadays I don't need to post in those threads cause it's utterly pointless and I feel like I have reached a higher point in my faith that is above reason.

Isn't is strange how people who apparently have no need for a god or religions, seem to spend the most time researching, debating and reading about it? There is some kind kind of weird psychological phenomenon going on that makes them obsessed with it.

That's akin to me spending my time researching and debating something I hate like math for example. Imagine if I would spend all my time researching and debating math theorems when I absolutely hate it. Not to mention that I'll never have a use for such a thing in my line of work.

it's strange stuff, I think I need to research more into this phenomenon haha.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

Isn't that the truth. I haven't ever understood it. I think you should look into that as I think I will too. We can compare notes

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Hey BW, great video. So funny! Which kind are you? I think I'm persian. I bet you're an alley cat!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by idle_rocker

Haha, will do idle rocker. I think this forum can be our first field observation.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
reply to post by idle_rocker

Haha, will do idle rocker. I think this forum can be our first field observation.

Yes, I have quite an education in psychology. We'll pull out the old school books and observe away.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dk3000

hehe. Thanks for sending it to me! It was received with great thanks and much pleasure from my son!

reply to post by thehumbleone

That is a most excellent question, Humble One. Another member and I had been discussing this earlier and he made a fine point. I don't know much about you, HO, but this other member and myself do not necessarily believe in extra terrestrials. So do we go into the UFO forum (almost exclusively) to do nothing but tell those who frequent that forum that aliens do not exist, that they are all delusional, and make it our mission to nay say everything that comes along, etc.? Of course not. How silly.

I let him know that is how I view the Survival forum. Frankly I don't get their paranoia (for lack of a friendlier term) so I leave them alone and do not invade their little corner by doing nothing but criticizing them or referring to their behavior as hysteria.

Why don't we do such things? I think it comes back to feeling threatened and unsure of your beliefs. In my opinion, they are trying to convince themselves more than convince us. Not saying they should stay out of the forums- it is their right to be here and you don't have to be religious to enjoy a good religious conspiracy on ATS or to engage in faith discussion on BTS. Everyone is welcome. But I do question the motives of those (and MIMS is not one of them) who have admitted their sole reason of being here is to poo-poo religion and the concept of a supreme being. It's puzzling behavior, to say the least, until you understand it from a spiritual perspective.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I joined ATS back in January of this year. Both my parents were diagnosed with cancer, my father in 2005 then my mother in 2006. I resigned from my job, stored my belongings, and came to care for my parents. It was at the first of this year that I came across ATS and began to read the various threads. I believe the main thread that prompted me to get involved with ATS came out of the CIR and had to do with Ronald Weinland and his 2008 prophecy book.

I suppose I had lived in a shell of sorts also, when it came to other beliefs regarding faith and as well, being exposed to the mind set of Atheists. If there has been a positive experience in all of this, it has been the opening of my eyes to all the varied thoughts that exist out in the world, from Aliens down to morphing reptilians across the board to the non existence of God and the grandest conspiracy of all, the manufacturing of the false messiah, Jesus Christ.

I think it was mentioned in this thread that the Religious forum as a whole should be taken away. I believe if you are to take away the Religious forum then you might as well take away the Political forum also. If two topics are going to produce heated exchanges, those two will win over all. As for feeling thrashed, bashed or smashed, I am afraid that will be unavoidable, no matter how polite the threads become. There will always be those who are offended no matter how protective the other may be in structuring a response to a given post.

One thing to remember, we are all human, we will get offended, and at times say things in response that are heated, but, I think what each person should consider before posting a thread, is to examine their motivation for creating the thread, that is the key in avoiding the fire and getting burned. There is a difference between creating a thread out of meanness and creating one out of concern for others. If all I want to do is create threads for the sole purpose of stirring the pot so it can come to a boil to cast everyone in, then the best I can do, is hit the delete button.

[edit on 4/4/2008 by jdposey]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join