It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members complaining about Post placement??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Have you ever just wanted to post a little bit of info for some folk to just ponder over and maybe be confused on which topic to place it under??

Then the out come of this is a firing line of "Apes" beating their chest stating that "this is the wrong Catagory" or "This was posted 5 years ago in July".
Are these people ecouraged by mods to help them save server space...?
Are they just angry that it wasn't something of new to them...?
And are they aware that Bashing on someone on the net is no different that be-littling some one in person? IMO.

Well If your like me and you care more about the info getting passed on and trying to post something for some people that haven't been here for long enough for them to know how to search topics or think that its a big deal...

I don't like it..

[edit on 2-4-2008 by gmac1000]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gmac1000

Good post,I agree...or maybe they are mad they didnt think of it themseves!LOL,anyways yea it is useful to new members esspeciallyand you and I should know-since we are newer members!Personally I cringe at the thought of searching through all that stuff on here posted like 5 years ago,and I tend to want newer information aswell.I think some members if not most that say something like"its already been posted"dont mean anything by it though,they are just ponting out a way to get more info.Oh well-just keep doing what you do. -JKrog

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Good points!

It would be helpful if the "pointers" were to post links to the old threads, rather than just pointing out that they exist.

Once a thread hits the boards, it's up to the mods to determine if it would be better placed in a different forum.

Rather than whining about it, it would be better for the "pointers" to simply use the "alert" button and voice their concerns.

Besides, many of the older threads are out-dated or pertinent links are no longer valid.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hi gmac,

I've been around here for a few years and I agree with your post. The egos of many members here can be down right appalling.

I believe many online posters display a brashness and superiority complex while posting in complete anonymity. I picture many of them as timid and weak in their real lives and this avenue allows them to become something they may wish they were in reality.

I tend to look for a large number of posts or points in a relatively short membership. This approach can sometimes be a "red flag" for a bully.

I will also state ATS has some terrific, insightful and most importantly polite posters. You will find many different "types" of posters on here. I suggest you reply to the brutes with courtesy and politeness. It not only drives them absolutely nutty, but it paints you in a much higher light.

Finally, the MOD staff here is awesome. They tend to deal with trolls and antagonists in a swift and firm manner. If a post upsets you or you feel you are being unfairly attacked just use the "alert" button to notify a MOD.

Becker

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I can really only echo what Becker44 just said above.

If you believe someone is bullying you, just alert us to it.

The only time the conduct you're describing takes place officially is when the staff deems it necessary for a valid reason: thought flow. If there are too many current threads about a single topic it becomes impossible for a reader to be aware of everything that is being said. It also becomes impossible for a real conversation to take place because I may post my point in thread A and you in thread B and the debate is non-existent. That's not going to work in a community of this side so we try to minimize that problem.

However, when it's been a long time since a topic has been discussed we certainly are happy to see people making new points regarding that topic whether it's in the old thread or a new one. Opening a new thread to talk about something that has been discussed years ago is NOT considered a duplicate thread and if you have a question about that PLEASE reach out to us first.

No one should be bullying other members for what they post, ever.

Please take full advantage of the alert button or complaint feature and you are guaranteed that a staff member will respond.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

I appreciate your bringing to my attention the Alert Button, But i can handle it... I am reffering to some People that just want to pass info on then when they get repremanded, by a member at that, it may stop them from posting vital info in the future....

And as regard to members on this site and their bickering , well its not this site only, its everywhere ..I have already left One really good site because of members usuing it as their own pass time and not caring about the info....And this is an Amazing site i do not want to feel like i don't belong here cause i missed the post last year..

Thanks guys for you posts and For also encouraging new members to ignore the loud mouths and let the mods Moderate

[edit on 3-4-2008 by gmac1000]

Mod Edit: Full quote of preceding post removed. 'Reply To' function used. Please see Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote - Jak

[edit on 3/4/08 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

Absolute Awsome points

Mod Edit: Full quote removed. 'Reply To' function used. Please see Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote - Jak

[edit on 3/4/08 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Ah, I see that this is what got your goat.

I'd merely suggest not taking things so personally. I don't think forestlady is out to get you, or anything like that; however, you both probably could have been a bit more amiable.

[edit on 4/3/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Then why make the comment at all is what I am asking...When the topic doesn't interest them...

Mod Edit: Full and unnecessary quote of preceding post removed. 'Reply To' function used. Please see Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote - Jak

[edit on 3/4/08 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I wouldn't necessarily say that the topic doesn't interest her. My guess is that she actually was curious as to why it was placed in the Conspiracies in Religion forum. Maybe fleshing out your opening post a bit more might help to avoid similar responses in the future; there wasn't much in there that really tied it to any specific religion(s). I know you mentioned "Doomsdayers"; however, there are many atheists who could also be considered such. When starting a thread in CiR, it's a good idea to really highlight what you feel the religious aspects are from the get go.

Or, maybe you both were just having rough nights. It happens.

Overall, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Simply try not to take things too personally here; and if you feel the urge to escalate the situation, take a break and approach it later with a cooler head.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'd like to say I am a saintly poster who never caused any problems for mods or anyone. Truth is when I first started here I had issues. I have since learned to play nice with people, and attempt my best to play nice.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I have since learned to play nice with people...

How many time do I have to tell you that... people are not lawn furniture, and lawn furnitures are not people!

Mmmm... patio tables.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

I think that's the key - tie it in with a conspiracy angle related to the forum it's being posted in, and voila, no probs.

I can understand in many respects why people point these things out if they don't fit a particular forum - it's a big place, we all have our favourite forums, and things would get very cluttered if threads were just posted anywhere we chose without the relevant information or spin to indicate why a particular forum had been chosen.
It would probably lead as well to the mods becoming overloaded, just moving threads, and many excellent posts would go un-noticed and not receive the recognition they deserve - not to mention that some forums need a close eye kept on them and need to be moderated more closely than others.

In all forums there is an info post at the top of the thread list saying what should be posted in a particular forum - something I find very helpfull and something that avoids much confusion.
By following these simple guidelines, I haven't had a thread moved in some time - and let's not forget that if we try and make life easier for the mods, it also makes our time on here easier, as they have time to do (some may think) more important things, like giving out applause or keeping threads respectfull and within the T&C.

With all that said - there's also the alert button, as I think has been mentioned. But don't forget there's an alert button at the top of the page for threads, and another one for individual posts at the bottom of each post.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
welcome to the internet. you won't change it, it will change you.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Muaaahhhhaaahahaaa redmage. They wouldn't let me walk the plank for a reason! God I love this. sort of kind of. hahahaha.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yes, the poster gmac is talking about me. He told me he had dedicated this thread to me. Apparently he thought I was bullying him. I did nothing wrong, just trying to point out that it was in the wrong forum, so he could be more clear about what belongs where.

I did hit the alert button becuase I thought it should be in another forum and the mods DID move it to General Conspiracy.

Now Redmage, please tell me what I said that you felt was out of line. I asked him twice to please explain the conspiracy in religion as he didn't really answer me the first time. I object to gmac saying my statement was idiotic and that I needed to do some thinking. That sounds like an ad hominem attack to me.

Nor did I bully you gmac. If anything you have bullied me by starting a thread that you yourself "dedicated to me".

I did nothing wrong, rude or against the T&C's. Leave me alone gmac, and quit starting trouble. And quit bullying me.

[edit on 3/4/08 by forestlady]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
Now Redmage, please tell me what I said that you felt was out of line.

Refresh my memory. Where did I say that you were out of line?

IIRC, I said "I don't think forestlady is out to get you, or anything like that..."

I also said "My guess is that she actually was curious as to why it was placed in the Conspiracies in Religion forum."

But I don't recall saying anywhere that you were "out of line".

If you're referring to the "you both probably could have been a bit more amiable" portion... well... there's certainly a difference between being "a bit more amiable", and being "out of line".

Re-read them. Do you really feel that your postings met the peak of your friendliness capacity, and that you couldn't possibly have mustered up "a bit more"?

I havn't done an official count; however, could "there must have been 100 threads..." have been a bit of an unnecessary hyperbole?

Was a post effectively saying "I told you so" really necessary, or as amiable as you are capable of being?

Personally, I've seen better from you. That's why I also said "Maybe you both were just having rough nights. It happens."

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I did nothing wrong, rude or against the T&C's. Leave me alone gmac, and quit starting trouble. And quit bullying me.

That's enough.

While you didn't do anything against the T&C you were rude and are guilty of doing something wrong IMO.

You seem to take things way too personally. Redmage defended you in this thread and you still saw fit to criticise him/her.

If you are getting frustrated about repeat topics or the bad placement of a topic I think you need to take a step back from this place. It's getting to you.

In this case there were two avenues you could have taken.

The first is to alert the staff that a thread was in the wrong forum and politely ask for a thread move.

The second and preferable route would have been to notice the registration date of the OP and realise he was new and give him some guidance from a long time member rather than badger him for his mistake.

Playing "mini-mod" was not the way to go.

As someone who has been here for several years I would have expected that sort of response from you.

I guess I'm mistaken.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by Gools]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Ah, I see that this is what got your goat.

I'd merely suggest not taking things so personally. I don't think forestlady is out to get you, or anything like that; however, you both probably could have been a bit more amiable.

I asked Red Mage a reasonable question - he said I needed to be more amiable.

I wasn't being rude and I didn't badger, I was asking for clarification. I thought maybe he knew something I didn't. Gools I think you have misconstrued my intention. I did alert the staff after gmac became insulting. Have you read the actual thread? Just wondering because I'm very surprised by your take on it.
As for not saying anything about it, people point out that they need to use the search function and that threads need to be moved all the time; how is that rude? Isn't rudeness against the T&C; so if I was rude how come I'm not getting a warning? I'm confused, I really am.

gmac told me my statement was idiotic and that I needed to do some thinking; these are ad hominem attacks, starts a thread to inflame and to trash me and I'm the one who is getting dressed down??

Gools, I would have appreciated a U2U, instead of a public dressing down. I think you're being a bit harsh. This thread is purposely hurtful; it would seem to me that this thread should be closed IMO - is it right to create a thread about someone instead of hitting the alert button.
Finally, I DID notice that he was new and that's why I was trying to inform him. Like, I said I'm confused.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

RedMage, I just reread your post and you're right; I could have been more amiable. And I'm sorry I took offense at your statements, you were supportive of me. Sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join