It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning from 'teen-repellent' inventor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

THE British inventor of a controversial device which disperses young people by emitting a high-pitched noise which only they can hear called for legislation to regulate its use. Self-confessed "mad inventor" Howard Stapleton developed the Mosquito after his 15-year-old daughter was harassed by youths hanging around a local shop.

The device emits an irritating high-pitched pulse that most people aged under 20 can hear but almost nobody over 30 can.

Mr Stapleton said he has sold around 4,000 Mosquitos in Europe and North America.

some 7000 people signed an Internet petition to have this banned in Europe.

Earlier Wednesday, the European Commission said it would not ban the Mosquito, despite the complaints.

www.news.com.au...

I must admit Ive never heard of this invention. Modified this could be dangerous. I say bad news.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The first time I heard of it it was being used by young students in school as cell phone ringers and for text alerts. That way the older teachers couldn't hear it but the students could.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Problem Solved. NEXT!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

HAve they heard of ear plugs too, the noise surely would not be that bad then, they could just talk loudly to there friends.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm coming up on 50 and I hear it. What's the big deal? More power to the business owners. Today's youth loiter too much. I've never seen so many people with no clue about how to use their time wisely.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Where do I buy one?

I don't even care if it'll annoy me, the constant amusement this would give me is so worth it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I don't know, I find it a bit disrespectful for younger people, to grow up thinking people hate you. I also think these kind of things would make kids angry, so they would come back and smash the stores window or something.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You dont understand, these chavs will hang around a shop or mcdonalds all evening and night and just harass people.

Every shop should have them as long as they arent permanently left on. The respectable young people will only come across the sound for seconds, if at all.

Now if they could only find a way to make this scum sterile though some remote device so they cant infect the world with their genes.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
You dont understand, these chavs will hang around a shop or mcdonalds all evening and night and just harass people.

Every shop should have them as long as they arent permanently left on. The respectable young people will only come across the sound for seconds, if at all.

Now if they could only find a way to make this scum sterile though some remote device so they cant infect the world with their genes.

I do understand I live in London haha.

I'm 21 so I often get dirty looks by security in stores etc. Just because I'm young. And I can assure you I am nothing like a chav lol.

I'm just worried about "some" of the older people's ignorance and their "generalizing" of younger people. I'm worried about the problems that come from that. I just don't see this tactic as something good. It simply sounds like something very weird and experimental.

Remember we are all humans, and this seems a bit too odd to me, and I'm worried that it could "Fuel" the fire in these chavs or other anti social people.

It's just not going to work, what happens when you irritate someone? They react!

[edit on 2-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yeah but they are going to thieve and vandalise places anyway. Thats why people dont want them around.

I think its great to disperse them because they are only a problem in a group, not individually.

Ive had to threaten them with a hammer to get them off my property before, I could have used one of those devices from my armchair.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Yeah but they are going to thieve and vandalise places anyway. Thats why people dont want them around.

I think its great to disperse them because they are only a problem in a group, not individually.

Ive had to threaten them with a hammer to get them off my property before, I could have used one of those devices from my armchair.

I know, hopefully they grow out of it. I'm just worried about what's next? We allow something like this to happen, what other idea will happen next?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, for what they are charging for the device, it isn't worth it.
It is faulty anyhow. I am 35 and I heard it plain as day.

NPR link with MP3 of sound

edit to add link.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by bobafett1972]

top topics

join