It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Turner on Iraq Insurgents: ‘I Think That They’re Patriots’

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Someone should tell Ted that his “patriots” are blowing up marketplaces, terrorizing Iraqi citizens and fighting against an ELECTED Iraqi government.

To call him a fool is an insult to fools everywhere.

And whoever say Washington, Jefferson are the same as a Al queda or the Tallywackers you are wrong.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
That would be me.

Here is the thing..

We have our so called AL CIA DA, then we have the actual people fighting.

Notice we put the leader of Iran into office in the 70, which is now burning us in the ass now.

We put these idiots into office in Iraq no difference than Iran. Therefore those people voted for people we made them vote for, and going on how the States elections are I can almost bet those elections were also rigged.

And yes these people are normal people who want anyone who isn't Iraqi the hell off their land. We have no reason to be there. I said it before I will say it again.

THIS IS A STRAIGHT OUT OCCUPATION. They didn't do anything we took their land by force.. Kinda like how the white man raped the Native Americans.

So I don't care what u say, how u spin it. We have no right being there.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Don't forget that there are many many MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANY factions fighting in Iraq.

Some terrorists, some insurgents, some freedom fighters, some religious groups attacking other religious groups, US Mercs, US Soldiers, etc etc etc.

There are people there fighting for the freedom of their country and people fighting to get the invaders out.

I'm sick of americans and other nationals looking at situations like this in a naive almost retarded black and white way, thinking everyone fighting there is a terrorist or religious nut killing indiscriminately and that the mercs and us soldiers can't do anything wrong. Wake up and smell the roses, this isn't good against evil, this is shades of gray fighting darker shades of gray.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Turner is nuts...Nothing new there. He makes millions on blue collar folks, then craps all over them every chance he gets. Can you imagine what he must have been like as a kid...........Be like a yappy little rat
I hope he dies slowly of rectal cancer.........HOWEVER......At this point I dont blame the regular Joe Haji that is sick of seeing US soldiers rolling through his country. Lets not forget that we invaded them. Right or wrong...This war is getting old on each side. This is turning into Vietnam II. Even my EXTREME right wing buddies are getting to the breaking point on the Iraq war. I have one friend on his FIFTH tour. Yes you heard that right 5 of them. He goes now out of the love of his fellow soldiers...The patriot feeling left "after the second tour" he said...We wont leave with 50K plus KIA (I hope) but 4K for what....Was Sadam worth 4K American lives?

I wanted to add this.......Recently I have seen several Purple Heart lic plates with kids no older than 25 driving them. I use to see those plates and think Vietnam, Korea, WWII......Weird too think that kids 10 years younger than me are coming back hurt vets. Thank God for those brave kids.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

[edit on 3-4-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
If USA/anyone invaded my country I would do as much as possible to fight back, end of story. I'm sure many people would do the same. If I have nothing left to live for then might as well use my life for any chance to live for something.

I have no problems with Iraq citizens fighting back against the occupation, it is their right to protect their country. Foreign citizens/Iraqis/merkins and SAS agents bombing civilians however I do have a problem with: [www.prisonplanet.com...]

As they say: I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees...

[edit on 3-4-2008 by GhostR1der]

[edit on 3-4-2008 by GhostR1der]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

You might want to study some American history, and see how British loyalists and their families were treated by the revolutionary forces. One fun punishment was one popularized by Cromwell in Ireland - pouring molten pitch onto someone's scalp, and then yanking the resulting mass off, skin, hair, all of it. For the crime of being loyal British citizens.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I think some of them are patriots.

I also think that some of them are lunatics.

But the overriding factor that people seem to want to miss is that - and this is the real crux of it - the "Coalition of the Willing" are the ones who opened pandora's box and had no strategy - none whatsoever - for dealing with the contents, and appeared completely blind to the fact that ruining an entire country might just upset some of the people that live there.

"Installing democracy" with smart bombs and dumb politics. Welcome to the Project for a New American Century.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Ah yes BI Jane, his significant other, who turned over the small notes from vietanam mia's has infiltrated his billionaire mind. This guy needs to be checked for syphillis. He's not cranking on all eight cyclinders. I couldn't agree more Nefermore. It is a pandoras box of insanity, and delusion. I just hate to see the pawns take the fall for those truly worthy of the guillotine.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
Someone should tell Ted that his “patriots” are blowing up marketplaces, terrorizing Iraqi citizens and fighting against an ELECTED Iraqi government.
To call him a fool is an insult to fools everywhere.
And whoever say Washington, Jefferson are the same as a Al queda or the Tallywackers you are wrong.

Master Wii,

I would have to disagree with your postings. I think whenever we talk about a subject like this, we have to "flip the coin", so to speak, to understand what would happen in our own country if the situation was reversed.
Would anyone in the United States actually stand by and watch the Chinese or the Russians or whatever country it may be, come in and invade our country??? Just show up, "Guess what, we're occupying New York based on some terrorist attack that happened in our country that we will not provide proof of your guilt for." This is basically what we did in Afghanistan, since we had no proof for the "attacks" on 9/11. Then, we oust a leader of a country that we supported for YEARS during the Iran/Iraq war and while he was gasing his own people. How can we say that we would attack any invading force on our own lands and not expect others to do the same when we invade their country?? It's actually quite a fundamental issue!! I do think you understand this concept but can't accept the fact that someone would call the "insurgents", patriots!!

Would you call the Confederate States of America a terrorist group back during the Civil War??? Because they were standing up for their STATES RIGHTS??!! Well, it's the same thing that is happening in Iraq. Of course, there weren't suicide bombings during the civil war, but you get my point.

And, we call these "patriots", "terrorists"!! What about US terrorism?? Why don't we ever address that?? What about US support for Southeastern Turkey and their crimes against the Kurds?? What about our invasion of Panama to remove a leader, Noriega, who in reality was financed by the CIA...why not talk about that?? What justification was there for invading and basically destroying Vietnam at the cost of American lives??? To stop Communism?? What about American Imperialism??

See, we call what other people do to the US, Great Britain and other countries "terrorism" because they did it. But when we commit attrocities all over the world or support the attrocities of any particular country, we call it promoting democracy or some other BS. We are never responsible for our crimes because they are not considered crimes because WE DO IT!!! But they do it, and it's terrorism. Like I said, quite simple.

And we wonder why there is a campaign of hatred against the US and other similar countries??

Purduegrad05
**PS: I'm an American and LOVE my country, just as we all do!!**

[edit on 3-4-2008 by Purduegrad05]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
TC: You blame them because innocent women and children are killed?

Was it not the US who dropped -two- nuclear bombs on Japan, killing HOW many innocents?

Let's not forget: don't point out the splinter in another's eye when you have a log in your own

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

i too agree with you. What Ted Turner stated is quite simple - elemental and natural.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Part of the problem, and it's been notd by some others here, is that it's not simply black hats vs. white hats. This situation has been a mess since the 50's when Britain forced a bunch of tribes together to make a country that didn't really exist and probably shouldn't have been created in the first place.

See, people like Saddam, whacko, brutal, dictatorial strongmen, are often the only thing able to keep a "country" like that together. Remove Saddam and his enforcers, and all the tribal, racial hatred boils over in an instant. Plus, because we fired the Iraqi army and our troops weren't ordered to secure the weapons depots, hundreds of tons of munitions went missing overnight (where do you think the IEDs came from? If you think Iran, think again).

So. We have Sunnis, Kurds, and Shia, all hating each other but united for years only because Saddam had the power to kill them as he saw fit. Saddam gets removed, the Iraqi army gets fired, we destroy their power plants and clean water sources, and we secure the oil fields while ignoring the ammo dumps. Ex-soldiers grab all the weapons and explosives they can and divide up into their individual tribes. Those tribes further divide based on who wants to follow whose plan to fight back. Al-Quaeda, who during Saddam's reign wasn't even in Iraq, steps through the huge holes we left in the borders. You've got people who have hated each other for a hundred generations finally able to duke it out, no holds barred. And as we try to bring "stability" to the situation by putting a puppet government in power (I should say "new" puppet government, since Saddam had our hands up his butt when Iran was the bug-a-boo in the '80s) we're going behind their backs to divvy up the oil fields to the companies most willing to fill the neo-cons' Swiss bank accounts. US soldiers have no idea who is who anymore--the Iraqi police they trained today will ambush the same soldiers tonight with IEDs and sniper fire.

This is an all-out civil war between dozens of individual factions, and yes, some of those factions are everyday Iraqis who want us to get the f out. Some just want their power turned back on. Some want clean water and edible food. Some just want a freakin' job that doesn't involve shooting someone else or getting shot at. And, yes, some are "terrorists" from foreign countries (mostly Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, though not as many from Iran as you might think) who now use Iraq as a "live fire" training exercise, although the real "terrorists" are a minority--the Iraqis don't want them there either, and tribes will come together just long enough to kill Al-Quaeda before turning their guns back on each other or us.

Iraq is a broken mess. It should be held up high as an example of everything the United States of America should stop doing. No more training insurgents to overthrow legitimately-elected leftist governments. No more interference in the affairs of sovereign countries. No more trying to spread "freedom" through warfare. You can't bring freedom to people who don't want it. No more creating new enemies we "need" to fight in order to feed the giant, bloated zombie pig that is the military/industrial complex. This crap has to stop, and right effin' now.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Hey I starred you man. Your post is so simple my 3rd grade son can understand it.. good work and nice job.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rosen
TC: You blame them because innocent women and children are killed?

Was it not the US who dropped -two- nuclear bombs on Japan, killing HOW many innocents?

Let's not forget: don't point out the splinter in another's eye when you have a log in your own

And that was after dropping so much napalm on Tokyo we actually created tornadoes of fire that ripped through highly-popualted areas. And, of course, our "strategic bombing" campaign against the Germans... "Let's take out their factories so they can't build new weapons! That'll grind 'em to a halt!" Of course, few people mention the fact that soldiers usually don't build their own weapons--civilians do. Women, children, the elderly and those too injured to fight were making all the ball-bearings and synthetic oil and other war materiel. We killed German women and children by the tens of thousands with our daylight raids--and then the British would add their fire-bombing by night.

Oh yeah, when it comes to limiting civilian casualties we ARE the authority. Yep.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

how right you are when speaking about the "secrets of Ted Turner's heart," nonetheless, what he said is fundamentally correct.

come into my yard with malice in your heart and i'll show you my little friend.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Hey I starred you man. Your post is so simple my 3rd grade son can understand it.. good work and nice job.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by ThichHeaded]
a little off subject........but, how do you "star" someone?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I am pleased to see so many members disagreeing with the OP. Simply declaring someone to be a patriot is not excusing their modus operandi, it is stating their desire to fight for the country that they want. What should be obvious to even the most obtuse observer is that different factions in Iraq want different things and consider themselves to be patriotic in many different ways. Al Quaeda, for example, not only want to remove foreign troops from Iraqi soil but want Iraq to be part of a larger Muslim Caliphate encompassing the whole Middle East. The Jaish al Madhi operating in Southern Iraq want a return to an Islamic state and control of the oilfields. The Office of the Martyr Sadr have differing objectives and so on...

If Great Britain were invaded by a foreign power I would take up arms against them to drive them back into the sea, although I would draw the line at strapping a few kilos of semtex to myself and paying a visit to the local supermarket.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

Right above their post is an empty star. Fill it up!

Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Looks to me like Ted's ex wife Hanoi Jane has rubbed off on him a bit, neh? Next we'll see him running around planting IED's in the Al Aswan province yelling "CAPTAIN PLANET!!!"

Turner is an a-hole, and an attention seeking one at that. He may or may not believe what he's said, but trust me- It's a farce nonetheless. This was a calculated move on his part, as is most everything he does.

As for those that sympathise, or agree based solely on the information gleaned from the news and internet- Unless you've been there, you have no idea whatsoever. NONE. It would serve you well to shut the h--- up lest a disgruntled and maladjusted combat vet shut you up.

Buncha bleeding hearts. With few exceptions, most of you have NO idea what it's like in the sandbox.

[edit on 3/4/08 by cbianchi513]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

Thank you very much for invoking the spirit of all of us who have served in sunnier climes, I'm so glad that I have such a reactionary individual standing guard over me and telling other people what I think. My intention on here was to not reveal my military credentials for reasons of personal security, alas I cannnot help but get upset when the likes of you open your mouths.

It is exactly becase you have been on the ground in Iraq that you must have an appreciation of what the enemy is fighting for, what they consider themselves to be and what their aims are. If you cannot understand that many of them have taken up arms for exactly the same reasons that you would if someone invaded your homeland, that they are fighting out of love for their country, then how can you hope to defeat them and prevent future recruitment from swelling their ranks? You have to understand the enemy's decision making cycle, his motivation and his intentions.

His intentions, however, do not excuse his actions and I agree that the willful killing of innocents is a poor manner in which to express one's patriotic fervour.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join