It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ted Turner on Iraq Insurgents: ‘I Think That They’re Patriots’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Interviewed Tuesday for Charlie Rose's PBS show, CNN founder Ted Turner argued that inaction on global warming “will be catastrophic” and those who don't die “will be cannibals.” He also applied moral equivalence in describing Iraqi insurgents as “patriots” who simply “don't like us because we've invaded their country” and so “if the Iraqis were in Washington, D.C., we'd be doing the same thing.”

newsbusters.org...

Where do I start?

Mr. Turner I think you mistake patriotism with HATRED. Would a patriot murder innocent women and children. I think not! Your Ignorant! The people in Afghanistan and Iraq hate the insurgency! Most live in constant fear. These patriots as you call them are from saudi arabia, iran, and other regions!

Ted Turner you are insane!

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

I think you're misjudging the "insurgency." They are indeed fighting for freedom. They want the US out of the Middle East entirely, whether it be Iraq, Saudi Arabia, or Afghanistan.

We have NO RIGHT to be there in the first place. How again are we protecting the US?

I happen to agree with Ted on this one, although I do not agree with his land grabbing policies.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
So is what you are saying is if say... China invaded the US, we would love and respect them?

Dude you are wrong.. simple as that. The people are fighting us because we took their country for no reason what so ever.. got proof we did.. show it..

The way I see it is alot of the people fighting us are normal idiots like us who want our country back.

The ones that are on MSM are the more highlighted ones cause well.. we want this war to be just which isnt since the beginning.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yeah I think your wrong they just want us to leave them alone. And they have the right to it is their country. I would not sit back and just watch another country try to occupy America.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hes right and youre a hypocrite....unless of course youd sit back and welcome the Chinese or Russians into your country to rape, torture and murder your people.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If you're not with the insurgents you're against the insurgents. Anyone not fighting against the occupation is a target.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
So then what you are saying, patriotism is sticking by your country and defending it against all enemies. now to some that means trying to kill coalition soldiers, to some that means joining the new government to fight the insurgents and terrorists. I mean good for these insurgents, rejecting a system that will give them freedom, in favor of a nazi inspired tyranny by the Sunni, or a Tehran backed super theocracy by the Shia. Oh yea dont forget about the patriotic Japanese in WW2 that bombed Pearl Harbor.

Yea I agree we need to bring our soilders home. Let them fight there own war.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_Wii

The coalition most certainly is not doing any good by being over there. And if they don't want us there of course their going to be violent. If our "freedom" isn't wanted then we shouldn't be trying to spread it.

Freedom Kills

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePiemaker

Huh? There are more than two sides to this battle. Its not "us" and "them."

There are militias (Sadrists, Mahdis Army), terror groups, the Iraqi police, the Iraqi military, the US/UK etc military (for sake of argument, Western), and non allied groups of Iraqis who are pissed off at everyone (and I guess the few who are still loyal to Saddam).

With all those groups duking it out, there's no way to tell who is who. There's no real uniforms for most of these groups. Even the Iraqi military and police dress in plain clothes for the most part to save themselves from random acts of violence (not to be mistaken with random acts of kindness).

The "insurgents" are everywhere, and could include everyone from a little child to an elderly man.

The line is fuzzed in this country and we just need to cut our losses and leave. We've done more than enough damage already, and we're just adding fuel to the fire.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Yes thing about it,if the enemy invaded the US and gave me weapons,damn right I'd turn on them,I think anyone else put in said situation would do the same

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ted Turner doesn't give a crap about you or me or American soldiers or Iraqi insurgents, his job is to feed the illusion, period! We shouldn't care what he says because every word that comes out of his mouth is calculated and serves a greater, more malevolent purpose.

He's way way way beyond the frivolous partisanship of the sheeple he manipulates.

Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
Would a patriot murder innocent women and children. I think not! Your Ignorant! The people in Afghanistan and Iraq hate the insurgency!

You are 100% correct. The insurgents are murderers . They are hated by the people of Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of the insurgents aren't Iraqis either. They kill and kill and kill - not Coalition members - but civilians.

Remember the insurgents threatening to kill any Iraqi who freely voted ... and all the Iraqis holding up their ink stained fingers to show how brave they were to go to the polls?

You are 100% correct. Excellent opening post Master_Wil.

Edited to add - I agree with Dr. Love
(run for the hills Dr. Love! I agree with ya'!!
)

Originally posted by Dr Love
Ted Turner doesn't give a crap about you or me or American soldiers or Iraqi insurgents, ..

[edit on 4/2/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thank you FlyersFan and Dr Love. Ted Turner is an absolute lunatic. This man ought to be committed. He is truly crazy. A crazy fruit loop from the leftward land of silliness.

Maybe Ted should do a land swap, Montana for Iraq, and CNN for Al Jerzerra then he could be a patriot!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan and Master_wii

FF, c'mon now, no cherrypicking!

M_W, Ted Turner is definitely not a lunatic, he is an extremely enlightened individual, and by "enlightened" I don't mean "liberal" or "conservative".

Peace

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Its really a matter of persepctive eh?

Lets say we had this group of "patriots" who rebelled against thier rulers (or occupiers depending again on your point of view). Used asymetrical warfare. Harrassed and targeted (i.e. acts of terrorism etc.) those who supported the rulers/occuping force, and so on and so on.

Sounds familiar right? *cough* American Revolution *cough*

While there are huge differeneces between that and the insurgencies in Iraq, the basic core remains the same. For some in the Middle East these insurgents are patriots (or crusaders if you like).

Never ever underestimate an enemy that is willing to lose everything for thier cause. They are almost impossible to defeat

As the British found out in the Revolutionary War
As the US and French found in Vietnam
And perhaps as the neocons are finding out in Iraq (and perhaps Afganistan)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii
I mean good for these insurgents, rejecting a system that will give them freedom, in favor of a nazi inspired tyranny by the Sunni, or a Tehran backed super theocracy by the Shia.

This freedom you speak of, from the barrel of a gun.. interesting that.

These people who fight us are no more than the people who fought the British in the states before we became the Untied States.

The Japanese gig, that was war on our country they thought they were fighting for the greater good.

This fight the people in Iraq are fighting against us is a just war against us. We have invaded them, they didn't do anything to us. Therefore they should kill anyone there cause they are doing exactly as someone stated.. "Raping and plundering the land" that is all.

reply to post by Dr Love

I approve this statement

[edit on 4/2/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Though I support our troops, I agree with Ted's comment.

I've had that conversation with a few friends - and we have all come to the same conclusion if U.N. troops or any other non-American troops were in the United States we would indeed fight them - to the bloody death.

If some of our people turned against us and went with the invaders or the corporations behind them they would become fair game - thus their family's would become collateral damage. Cut their water, interfere with communications, cut their power. Destroy & booby trap their routes for movement etc. Divert streams to undermine roads & create landslides.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I never cease to be astonished at the myopic and stupid attitude of some on these forums.

The war in the mid east isn't about good vs evil, goodguys badguys. This war is a tribal, cultural war that has been going on since before there ever was a US of A. An our brave men and women in the military have been stuck right in the middle of it.

There are alliances of different tribes and ethnic loyalties that shift like the sands in the desert they inhabit. There is no "one" enemy that the talking heads like to label, "insurgents" that's just BS media talk.

It might serve you well to study a little Mideast ethnology and sociology. Perhaps even a little history, instead of listening to the neocon's mouthpieces like Rush and Hannity; It could go a long way to keep you from looking like a fool.

Who cares what Ted Tuner thinks? Study, then think for yourself!!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I never cease to be astonished at the myopic and stupid attitude of some on these forums.

"some" ... obviously you are pointing at me and that I'm one of those 'some' that astonish you with my 'myopic and stupid attitude'.

I'll state it again - the insurgents are NOT freedom fighters.
They have their own agenda. It isn't a free Iraq.
And the people of Iraq do NOT love 'em. Not at all.

BTW .. I don't listen to Rush ... or Hannity.

Originally posted by Dr Love
FF, c'mon now, no cherrypicking!

Now Dr. Love .. I pointed out the part of your statement that I agree with. Ted Turner does NOT care about America .. Iraq .. Insurgents .. or American soldiers ... etc etc.

Did it scare you that I agreed with part of your statement?
BOO!

[edit on 4/2/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The war in the mid east isn't about good vs evil, goodguys badguys. This war is a tribal, cultural war that has been going on since before there ever was a US of A. An our brave men and women in the military have been stuck right in the middle of it.

And since when has this been a reason not to send troops over? If so, we wouldn't have gotten involved in Bosnia, etc, back in the 90's.

I don't think the government ever thinks before they commit troops.

<<   2  3 >>

join