It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggest a new Doomsday Policy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
Anyone who posts a story, theory, link, comment or other content that has a specific timeline, timeframe or general or exact date that comes to pass where the theory is proven to be untrue shall be banned and removed from ATS immediately. Whether or not the poster believes in the “event” is irrelevant, posting second hand accounts are also subject to the policy as are supporting follow up comments and responses.

Mods are quick to quiet anyone they feel offends their own political or sociological viewpoints and let people who do more damage just get away with it. Doomsday posts do nothing but scare, confuse and intimidate people and should be considered on par with hate speech. (at least once they are proven untrue)
Maybe even instead of banning we saddle them with a “Bogus Doomsayer badge”

First, I think this was not well thought out. Examples such as the LHC which was set to startup at the end of March 2008 has been delayed until August 2008 because of a lawsuit. Hence, any person who posted on the LHC topic would have been automatically banned.

Second, moderators DO edit posts, removing relevant explanatory statements when they don't suit their own personal agenda. You are correct there; but, this would exacerbate the banning you propose as each moderator is as unique as you and I.

Third, labeling can be effective to a limited extent. Labels don't show if you aren't signed in though. Further, I would suggest a label be applied ONLY if 90% of the moderators agree.

Last, we do already have a separate predictions forum and it should be exempt from all of the above! TRUE clairvoyance doesn't work on a time-clock; and events that would have happened can be avoided ... though, often the energy goes elsewhere so in the longrun it doesn't pay to skirt fate. You may save yourself; but, somebody else gets the energy applied to them. I won't go into details further. The point is the Predictions Area should be exempt from all of the above.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Yes, even if it takes millions of years. Well, actually scenarios aren't the issues so much as the date really. So, we probably already have the scenario. And if we keep up these daily predictions, then yes, eventually someone will have it right. Though at that point, we may et so burnt out from the bogus we'll ignore it.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I am opposed to such a proposal on the grounds that:

• I do not believe people should be penalized for sharing what they may genuinely believe to be true, even if it is subsequently found to be erroneous.
  • There is a forum dedicated to predictions and prophecies.
  • There is always the possibility, however improbable on the surface, that a prediction could be true, and yet change. In effect, if foresight into the future is possible (I am not saying that it is,) then we have no way of knowing what effect on the future accurate predictions coming to light would have. In effect, at least in theory, an accurate prediction could render itself inaccurate.
  • Perhaps most importantly and pertinently, it is already against the ATS terms of service to knowingly post false information, and the mods and others already do a sufficient job of dealing with breaches of that rule when they occur. A new policy with respect to this specific example of those breaches would be redundant and unnecessary in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
While making a "doomsday" forum or tab would be a great idea. or even the post about making a calendar where people could bet on the prophecies coming true(just for fun of course) would be interesting, their is a simplier answer to it all.

If you don't like the dooms day topic, just stay away from it. Or if your like me, enter into the topic, make one or two logical posts about how the event is "improbable" from happening but, not "impossible". because nothing is impossible IMO, just improbable or unlikely.
and after your post, leave the topic alone. it will eventually die after everyone reads how crazy the doomsday topic is. they all die off eventually.

problem solved

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
Last, we do already have a separate predictions forum...

I was wondering if someone was going to mention that.

Did a few members forget this was here, or were they just not aware of it?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
At first I thought it was a bit harsh, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I completely agree with you, OP!

This way, people will fear posting specifics in the thread titles, such as an exact year, date, or whatever, because using these concrete specifics will put them in danger of perpetrating a hoax, because they can be proven wrong.

Perhaps if we let the first perpetrated hoax go off on a warning, then the second perpetrated hoax by the same user gets that user banned?

It would *really* cut down on operating costs for the hardware for this website because there'd be alot less junk postings, and just think of all the replies that would never be made to these junk posts? And the occasional banning of users who are perpetrating hoaxes .. or advocating hoaxes.. well, this is the icing on the cake, and it will keep the junk posters from even posting!

In the end, Above Top Secret Networks makes more money, has less expenses, and has less of a hassle running the site. And on top of all of that, looks better to the public and make their user base happier and more content by simply instituting such reforms. Lets not play games and act like this is a public site, it is privately owned, it exists to make money, SkepticOverlord & Springer are not embarrassed to openly state such things like this site does exist to make some form of profit (which means the gains exceed the payroll as well as operating costs), just listen to the most recent ATS mix show. I'm not bashing them, it is just the simple, obvious truth, there's no reason to point fingers and call people Capitalist and all this. so be it. Well then, if certain subjects are outlawed by risk of banning if you repeatedly make posts after a warning not to, why not perpetrating hoaxes? It really does fall right into the line of ATS policy .. in comparison to the rest of the ATS terms of use and the policy, adding something like this would not be seen as controversial or extreme to the majority of the users of the site.

So, in all seriousness, please institute banning after 1 warning for perpetrating or advocating hoaxes via thread making with specific dates and events which can come to pass thus proving your theory or hoax exactly that .. a hoax. I can see how someone might accidently get themselves into trouble, which is why the first time should just be a warning, to explain to them that they should not post specifics like that again unless they have some rock solid evidence and are willing to put their butt on the line, so to speak. If not banning, how about a post-banning for a set period? Maybe the 1st time is a warning, the 2nd time you can't post for a week, the 3rd time you can't post for a month, and the 4th time within one year equals you being banned indefinitely? Sounds very fair to me, I've been post banned for less than this, perpetrating hoaxes, and twice.. for periods of time up to the longest period i proposed, a month or so.

I am not saying do this to others because it has been done to me, quite the contrary, I am stating if this has happened to me because of vigilante moderation in my opinion for less than perpetrating hoaxes, then certainly a standard could be set to punish those who are actively perpetrating the hoaxes, or even unintentionally doing so to at least awaken them to the fact of their actions and the danger to their posting rights if they keep doing it.

All in all it sounds really quite fair .. when considering this website. You can't just have a blanket standard for private enterprises in my opinion, each demonstrate how they are going to run their affairs and set their rules, and from there the standard is set. So in that regard this would not be a stretch on freedoms at all.

[edit on 4/3/2008 by runetang]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

What??? This thread is absurd. Try to regulate what people write on a conspiracy board? Gormly, judging by your attitude on your threads you should change your nickname to grumpy. Mods can we please delete this thread and move on. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Escrotumus

I think it deserves merit in that it shouldnt be deleted.

Think about this: if user "kewlguy12" makes a thread titled "we all ascend in 2008", then on new years day of 2009, you either warn him if its his 1st hoax, or if not, you ban them, or post-ban them for some time. Think of all the less posts full of crap kewlguy12 will have not posted if he can't..

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
The censorship is indirect, meaning that it is not imposed directly by an individual. It is imposed by the fear surrounding the issue.

This is how censorship is applied to the masses...indirectly through fear. The media is constantly using against us, maybe I have been unclear in what I am referring to.

Ofcourse he does not want someone to act as a stand in Censor. The people would censor themselves, and their message would not be heard.

Ok look, enough of you guys pretending to understand my position.
Some of what I posted was tougue in cheek and it seems NONE of you got it.
I guess that makes me a crappy writer, but thats no surprise.

My issue is not with someone who says "somethings gonna happen sometime soon"

my issue is with the moron who says "Alien X is coming tonight at 3AM" and the guy who says "Cheney Ordered an attack on Iran at 2:34 PM Today"

I do NOT support a ban on "posters", nor the creation of censorship by fear.
I jest a bit by how far I would take it but there needs to be some responsibility.

I have seen it a hundred times, someone posts a ludacris story, people challenge him, spend all kinds of time debunking him and meanwhile he is beligerant and has 30 other members saying they believe him and to "lay off and see what happens" and when the time comes to pass.. the guy just stops responding and a month later, he's back with a new date.
repetitive and

WTF????

I just want the jerkoffs who come in here post time specific BS to either be held accountable, currently there are no repercussions to the crap they post. They just move the date and post again. Hell I would be happy if the original thread had a big ("didn't happen") banner or something at this point.

I like the idea of creating a prediction forum. I hadn't thought of that, must have been my single minded focus on censorship getting in the way.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
reply to post by gormly

What??? This thread is absurd. Try to regulate what people write on a conspiracy board? Gormly, judging by your attitude on your threads you should change your nickname to grumpy. Mods can we please delete this thread and move on. Thanks.

Ok let me get this straight.. you are objecting to my thread because you think I am promoting censorship (and being grumpy) and you wish the mods to delete my thread and posts?

Really?
Seriously?

On a side note do you all just SKIM through postings?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Ok look, enough of you guys pretending to understand my position.
Some of what I posted was tougue in cheek and it seems NONE of you got it.

Don't worry; I bet a lot of people didn't get A Modest Proposal at first.

I like the idea of creating a prediction forum. I hadn't thought of that, must have been my single minded focus on censorship getting in the way.

Apparently, there is already a prediction forum. I didn't realize it until earlier either.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

You do realize how ironic your comment is, don't you?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's not ironic at all. The OP is just acting like a jerk (as usual) and doing it blatantly. Other people that create threads create them because they believe in them and they want to contribute something to the community. Threads that are strictly bashing and aren't contributing anything should be deleted, as this one should. That is all I will say about this worthless thread as I am tired of giving him points for his 'contribution'.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It's not ironic at all. The OP is just acting like a jerk (as usual) and doing it blatantly. Other people that create threads create them because they believe in them and they want to contribute something to the community. Threads that are strictly bashing and aren't contributing anything should be deleted, as this one should. That is all I will say about this worthless thread as I am tired of giving him points for his 'contribution'.

Not ironic?
you calling for censorship of my post because you feel my post is about censorship?

seriously?

Not only are you insulting me personally but you are a HUGE hypocrite and can't see it. You disagree with someones outlook so they aren't worth anything? Who made you the supreme judge again?

There are loads of people who agree 100% with me in this very thread, some who agree partially.
Are we all jerks who don't deserve "contribution points"?

Why dont you try reading the post, the replies and my replies and take the "he's an ass" stick out of your butt, maybe you'll actually understand what I was trying to say.

BTW....some of us dont care about "contribution points" at all.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join