It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggest a new Doomsday Policy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
Banning everyone who turns out to be wrong about what ever they post?

I think there is quite a bit of difference between proclaiming the end of the world, alien landings, etc. and just simply being wrong about something. However, I do agree there could be a slippery slope.

No one is perfect....if we were we would be gods.

Uh...excuse me, but I am perfect, and I am a god!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Uh...excuse me, but I am perfect, and I am a god!

Really, well then we need to have words! I'm still waiting for the winning super lottery ticket I ask for every night. What gives?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KMFNWO

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

Lets just give them another avenue to vent their beliefs.

Perhaps there should be a forum dedicated to predictions?

I believe this is a very well thought out and reasonable solution to this proposal - lets just have a Doomsday forum. Bravo!

Good solution. Put a Doomsday tab at the top. People (some), like to ponder such things.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
How about instead, we use this idea that I just had:

Massive page with an interactive calendar display where people can add their serious predictions, with hyperlinks to threads backing them up in a special archive forum.

Why not have it out of the way rather than actively discouraging it? It may be the truth or just a bit of fun, thats the whole point of ATS.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Stick with your suggestion. Sounds very good. I like it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
While I agree that the "WORLD IS GOING TO END 12/01/2012" type stuff gets old......More RULES are not the answer....Just hit the ignore button...Poof problem solved. The world will end when the sun swells up and burns us into ash............a billion years or so from now....Until then all the shaved apes with voice boxes will run around yelling the sky is falling....always been that way. Damn dirty apes

I do like 44soulslayer's idea...hell we could bet on squares!

[edit on 2-4-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
How about placing those threads in the Skunkworks forum unless credible evidence can be shown to support the hypothesis. Discussions based on opinion would be fine. If credible evidence can be show to support the hypothesis, then perhaps the movement of such threads into a more meaningful area would be in order. For example, a thread about aliens landing on such and such a date could be moved to 'Aliens &UFO's' if evidence can be show to substantiate the claim (verified by independent sources). If the OP is not willing to have this evidence scrutinized, then the thread should be closed immediately.

Furthermore, perhaps flagging should not be allowed for Skunkworks threads, thereby preventing these from enjoying the hype that these types of threads now have on the front page.

There is (IMHO) a place for these types of threads already, its up to the mods to enforce the placement of such threads. To their credit, there are plenty of these types of threads in the Skunkworks form already.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
I propose ATS take on a new policy that will usher in a cleaner, calmer and more productive ATS. One that everyone can take part in without the clutter of doomsday postings.

Ok, interesting choice of words, but I don't agree with the "cleaner, calmer" claims for an internet forum. I'd like to take a moment and "dust, polish, and shine" my posting, please.. Silliness, am sorry.

Here it is:

The Doomsday Policy

Nice start, gets everyone thinking on the correct note.. Reminds me of this topic www.abovetopsecret.com...

The gist of my post here is to ask you why? Obviously you've shown that you have put a lot of time into your entire post, and thats defiantly respectable..

but.. Why?

Creating a specific location for such postings and conversations is ok, but the out right call that you make for "punishments" is insane, and nothing short.

Let me ask you this, do you ever go to the grocery store? Do you ever read the tabloid covers as you wait to pay for your groceries? How about like, by accident?

Or, ever walk by a book store and get slammed with a news paper stand just before you get to the book store? I mean you are going to buy a book, not a news paper.. so why is this news paper being placed in front of you?

By your logic above, anything "You" don't agree with in regards to verbiage and timeliness, needs to be cast aside and "cleaned up, made calmer, banned, deleted, moved"... I forget the rest. I smell a type of censorship in the making..

My understanding is that everyone has something to tell, truth, lies, stories... blah blah blah, as the Reader it is Your Responsibility to filter the incoming info.. Like Dates, or Times... Use your "filters" to read the message openly instead of focusing on one aspect. Many times the message can be good, but with the wrong time frames, does that mean everything else should be cast aside? No...

Same thing here.. only, I don't want "Your" filtered view.. I have my own filters thank you. Please allow me to access every view point and see it for what it is.. Am curious though about these other people who support your "filtered" view being placed upon us. It seems odd..

Although, I do ask.. Are you scared of reading all possibilities? or scared of your own fears over what might happen? Or is it just "control tendencies" pushing this?

Or did someone once force you to read something you didn't want to? Am confused, please help.

fyi, Filters = Your Brain.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Isn't this what the mods are for?Seems to me they're doing their jobs.After all if we don't like a certain thread we aren't forced to read it.We can go about our lives or any other thread for that matter and continue to choose what we will or will not participate in.To me it just seems like another idea of enforcing one's will.No disrespect meant but when I open a thread I know right away if I'm gonna stay.I read topics on things I don't even beleive just cause they're interesting while there's other topics I like and the threads aren't so good.

Freedom of choice to choose our own will.What a beatiful thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
aww, You beat me to it SaviorComplex.
It sounds a little Fascist to me censorship would only make things worse but something does need to be done either a seperate forum or as also said a specific header as simple as [DD] for doomsday of course, then if they didnt you could ban them

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree with the OP's sentiments as well.

The amount of Nibiru, planet x, Mayan Calendar and 2012 posts and the growing hysteria over the next 4 years is starting to become grating.

I've stated that the y2k hysteria echoed similarly and here we are 8 years on and there are still ill suited people in power, running our lives. Nothing has changed. No situation x no need to break out the assault rifles.

Setting up an apocalypse forum would be a more constructive vent for these people that allows them to have their say but also let's them know the appropriate place to say it.

Let them have their voice but just give me a chance to block my ears

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
how can you prove these theorys are lies. you cant until it happens. you are limiting free speech. These are people's opinions on here.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by anti us gov]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I do not understand why you object to doomsday predictions with dates.
Is there something about using specific dates which you object to?

If everyone makes doomsday predictions with open dates, then yes they will not become obsolete. But they will never become laughable either.

How can you maintain a sense of proportion if you never learn to laugh at your own gullability and willingness to indulge in paranoid masshysteria?

It is peoples desire to disclaim past entranement which makes them vulnerable to future manipulation.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's what Skunkworks and the Predictions area are for? Nobody can predict when anything is going to happen. I don't care how many books you've read, what the bible said, or what some ancient tribe in the middle of the bush believe.

I totally agree with the OP. There's too many of them. This place used to be a rational and intelligent site, it's slowly getting filled with nut jobs that think we're all going to be invaded my the donut people.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That's what Skunkworks and the Predictions area are for? Nobody can predict when anything is going to happen. I don't care how many books you've read, what the bible said, or what some ancient tribe in the middle of the bush believe.

I totally agree with the OP. There's too many of them. This place used to be a rational and intelligent site, it's slowly getting filled with nut jobs that think we're all going to be invaded my the donut people.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
You said Doughnuts (drool!)

No policy needed, just a forum of their very own would be good, or a skunkworks subfolder

(don't wish to unduly sully the skunkworks rep)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thedigirati

Anyone for tennis??

Yes, Donuts, i don't know why i said donuts. I must have them on the brain.

You're right. A special forum. A special forum where they can all cross check diaries to see when everything is going to happen. If all the dates of the supposed end of the world were put into a diary, you're need a Filofax the size of Germany.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I think the doomsday predictions also have a bit to do with security as well. If the world ends on such and such a date, then it probably won't end tommorrow, eh?
I'll admit I'm a bit ragged when it comes to predictions in general on this site. they are generaly taken more loosely than they are stated, and only the correct ones are remembered. Heck, John Titor keeps getting dragged out despite ihis stuff hasn't come true.
Bannings to harsh in my opinion, but a unique forum? Sounds good to me.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

What he means is when AFTER the date has passed, banning them. I don't agree with it myself though. A good aamount of the time you have claims that the date was wrong and it was really THIS date. Or aliens interfered or something. Or they leave the date fairly open, could be tommrrow, could be Monday, might even be 8 years from now.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
Maybe even instead of banning we saddle them with a “Bogus Doomsayer badge”
Think about it.

Sooner or later someone's gonna get the doomsday scenario right.

Think about that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join