It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No more mosques' says Synod member

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

'No more mosques' says Synod member

www.timesonline.co.uk

A prominent evangelical member of the Church of England’s General Synod has called for a ban on the building of any more mosques in Britain.

Alison Ruoff also claimed that Sharia law is inevitable in this country if mosques continue to be built here.

Mrs Ruoff, a former magistrate, said in an interview with London’s Premier Christian Radio that no more mosques should be built in Britain until all persecution of Christians in Muslim nations had ceased.

She said: “No more mosques in the UK. We are constantly building new mosques, which are paid for by the money that comes from oil states.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Whatever your views, this is sure to raise hackles and cause tensions to ultimately boil over.

As long as the taxpayer is not paying for the mosques, what business is it of anyone else's?

I strongly disagree with her about this - the no-go area's are a result of "multi-culturalism" not a few extra places of worship.

This woman would do well to get her own house in order and look at real issues rather than trying to make a name for herself by emulating enoch powell.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
...but I'm sure they're not happy about the restriction of CHRISTIAN religious freedom in many Muslim countries.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Cannot stand england, so i am hoping they build more mosques in england. England used to be such a secular country, i wonder what percentage change there has been since the muslim invasion.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Why can't you stand Britain? Yes, that's right Britain, not England is what the articles about.
And where do you get the idea that britain used to be a secular country/society?
As for "muslim invasion" - the muslims constitute about 5% of the population and they have been coming to Britain since the fifties - so where is this invasion exactly?

I don't doubt that it has gone in that direction, but a few years ago, the churches were brimming every week - they didn't start to decline in a big way until the mid-late eighties.
Children in C of E and RC schools still attend church services during important religious holidays, so I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that statement.

[edit on 2/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So if muslims only make up 5% of Brittain's population, why do they think they should have sharia law? That is rather absurd to think 95% of the population should follow your laws if thy don't follow your faith which the laws re based on.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
That's why I find the article a little ridiculous - this woman is just out to cause a bit of a stir and get her name in the papers IMO.

The only time more mosques will be built is if they have enough people to fill them - and I don't think that'll ever happen. By this I mean the muslim population going above 10 - 15%

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

No, you got it all wrong. Sharia law is supposed to be for the Muslims only, although I admit I myself find that a bit preposterous. A nation should have only one set of laws.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

Ok, I had heard somewhere that the muslims of Brittain wanted to make sharia law for everyone, not just muslims, but I could very well be wrong.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
There have been calls for that by some extremists, but this is not about that.

The person in the article is a member of the church of england syond "warning" of the dangers of allowing more mosques to be built.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

The more extreme ones, maybe, I doubt more than 1% of British Muslims honestly believe Sharia for all Britons is realistic.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Here's the basic questions on this that no one seems to have answers for.

What happens when a muslim commits a crime according to UK law that is not a crime in sharia, or what if a UK violates sharia, but not UK law?

Examples: UK citizen (non-muslim) insults "the prophet". Muslims would try to have them killed under sharia, but in the UK (up until now?) this would just be exercising free speech. Does the UK government allow their citizen to be killed over this?

Similarly, what if a muslim commits a crime against a UK citizen while carrying out a so-called fatwa?

I hope you can see why this two law sytem would be unworkable and should be scrapped before it proceeds even an inch (mm) further.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Precisely. And this is why I think a dual-legal system will never work.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The whole point is that it won't proceed at all.

The whole point is that this womans full of it.

Doesn't anyone read articles anymore?

At the present, muslims have some aspects of sharia law - banking, the koran forbids usury, so muslim banks don't charge interest, divorce, although they still have to obtain a divorce under british law as well.
UK law always takes precedence over any "cultural" law of any other religion or ethnic group.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Let's be clear: Sharia law is not being even considered by any political party. British law, made in the Houses of Parliament, is the law of the land and will remain so. All parties have condemned the Archbishop of Canterbury's remarks.

I don't know why the Church of England are so obsessed by this...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

While I definitely do not agree with a dual-law system (
), I was under the impression that the Sharia law idea was only to affect Muslims?

I may be unclear on this, that's why I am asking.

As far as the lady goes, congratulations Britain, maybe you're getting your own set of Westboro fruitcakes.

ps. I love calling the Westboro church people fruitcakes, it just seems so appropriate.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

I would say their obsession stems from the fact that Islam is exploding in the UK whereas it's very difficult to fill the pews Sunday morning at the average CoE church.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
As far as the lady goes, congratulations Britain, maybe you're getting your own set of Westboro fruitcakes.

ps. I love calling the Westboro church people fruitcakes, it just seems so appropriate.

Oh dear... I hadn't thought of it like that.

I can think of worse things to call them than 'fruitcakes', too

I'm not sure about this Islamic expansionism, either. At the last census, 7 out of 10 people in the UK identified themselves as 'White and Christian'. Add to that the number of other races who are Christian and the vast majority of the UK population identify themselves as Christians. Not to mention people who identified themselves as white and of no religion/other religions.

Britain has become increasingly secular, with only minorities attending regular religious services of any denomination. I foresee this trend increasing, too.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Yep, that's the point I've been making - some members of the synod seem determined to drive a wedge in, and this womans idea is as mad as a box of frogs.

Rather than trying to get headlines by appearing less than tolerant, why do't they actually try and do something about their own shortcomings, and address WHY their congregations are falling...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I suspect it's because, when everything goes wrong, it's very easy to blame someone else. In this case Muslims.

It's happened all across human history - we can see it with Nazi anti-Semitism, allegations of witchcraft (people being blamed for famines or diseases), Roman persecution of early Christians and so forth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join