It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Particle smasher 'not a threat to the Earth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Campaigners in the US are attempting to delay the start-up of the world's most powerful particle smasher with a lawsuit claiming it could spawn dangerous particles or mini black holes that will destroy the entire Earth....The lawsuit's claims are "complete nonsense", James Gillies, a spokesman for CERN, told New Scientist. "The LHC will start up this year, and it will produce all sorts of exciting new physics and knowledge about the universe," he said, adding: "A year from now, the world will still be here."

Read the rest of the article here:
www.newscientist.com...

I think this LHC is a good thing, not a bad thing. I think the people that are freaking out, are freaking out because they don't have enough information to understand what this LHC can do and what the scientists plan on doing. Please feel free to try and convince me otherwise

Tela

PS. hopefully I did the article posting right, please let me know if i did or didn't. I don't think I put it in the right forum, could a mod move it for me to the news forum?

[edit on 4/2/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, if the scientists are wrong, we will never know. I suppose that would be a better way to go than most other doomsday scenarios.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sadly, they are betting their eggs against black holes entirely on a theory.

They claim that the Holes will be evaporated by Hawking radiation, which is a purely theoretical radiation that may or may not even exist.

If you look into it deeper, all of the dangers are posed by well-established knowledge of physics, whereas all the words against are based on physics that is 90% theory.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I agree with you Telafree. People are afraid of what they can't understand
Kinda like peoples who are afraid of microwave...or evolution

new topics

top topics

join