It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documents show Pentagon now using FBI to spy on Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Documents show Pentagon now using FBI to spy on Americans

rawstory.com

ACLU obtains documents after suit over National Security Letters

The military is using the FBI to skirt legal restrictions on domestic surveillance to obtain private records of Americans' Internet service providers, financial institutions and telephone companies, according to Pentagon documents.

The American Civil Liberties Union expressed outrage at the new revelations, based its conclusion on a review of more than 1,000 documents turned over by the Defense Department after it sued the agency last year for documents related to national security letters, or NSLs, investigative tools used to compel businesses to turn over customer information without a judge's order or grand jury subpoena.

"Newly unredacted documents released today reveal that the Department of Defense is using the FBI to circumvent legal limits on its own NSL power," said the ACLU, whose lawsuit was filed in Manhattan federal court.

ACLU lawyer Melissa Goodman said the documents the civil rights group studied "make us incredibly concerned." She said it would be understandable if the military relied on help from the FBI on joint investigations, but not when the FBI was not involved in a probe.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Everyone is spying on us. The NSA, the FBI, the CIA, and now the military. What the heck are they doing with all the info they're collecting on us?

And that's not the end of it.

rawstory.com...

States quietly buy, mine personal data -- including names of your associates and relatives
The government is rounding up your cell phone numbers, insurance claims, credit reports, financial records, and the names of your associates and relatives and sharing them with law enforcement officials nationwide.

They may even have your unlisted iPhone number.

But it's not President George W. Bush, who's taken fire over his warrantless wiretapping program, or the National Security Agency, which oversaw the interception of Americans' calls overseas.

It's your state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why do they need all the information they're collecting on us? Who is making sure it's accurate and that inaccurate information is purged? Who makes sure that the angry neighbor down the street isn't informing all kinds of false things about you because you wouldn't let him borrow your lawn mower?

Big Brother never had it this good. This has gotten way, way out of control. We don't have a constitution anymore. What we have are a lot of power mad people run amok with our private lives. And they're NOSY corrupt people, to boot!

None of this is admissible in court, so what is it's purpose? Are we being pigeon-holed for some "program" down the road that decides who lives and who dies?

I DON'T trust these people...

We need to get these criminals out of office and restore our constitutional rights.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Wasn't Nixon impeached for illegally spying on people? I didn't live through it, so maybe I am not remembering watergate correctly.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

What I keep thinking is that it would be awfully easy for the government to "ruin" someone who doesn't conform to their will by stuffing bad data in their noxious databases. You don't play ball, the police pick you up for crimes that never happened, the government harrasses you at every level, you aren't allowed to travel, etc.

This thing is getting ripe (as in stinky) for abuse.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I've heard that they are also monitoring Video rentals and they can also request your work personnel file.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by TamtammyMacx]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AWingAndASigh

Well, they have real dirt on a lot of people now. It may be fairly insignificant in the big picture, but I am sure there are things that they know that people simply don't want brought before the public eye.

Elliot Spitzer comes to mind. He didn't want to play ball with the Bush administration and he was calling them out on being complicit in the sub prime scandal. Three weeks later, his dirty laundry was aired for all to see. One day later he resigns and has lost all credibility.

I realize that his hooker scandal was nothing small, but look at how many politicians have survived hookers and infidelity, he didn't. Political assassination.

If you don't want to play ball, prepare to face the consequences. Or just fall in line like everyone else.

top topics

join