It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food crisis being felt around world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Food crisis being felt around world

www.nationalpost.com

Sharply rising prices have triggered food riots in recent weeks in Mexico, Morocco, Senegal, Uzbekistan, Guinea, Mauritania and Yemen, and aid agencies around the world worry they may be unable to feed the poorest of the poor.

In the Philippines, officials are raiding warehouses in Manila looking for unscrupulous traders hoarding rice, while in South Korea, panicked housewives recently stripped grocery-store shelves of food when the cost of ramen, an instant noodle made from wheat
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
environment.newscientist.com
www.marketoracle.co.uk
www.sundayherald.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Tensions rise as world faces food crisis

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
One country after the next is halting rice exports Egypt, Vietnam, Thailand, India and Cambodia. These countries have either halted exports or greatly curbed them.

There is a direct affect between high oil prices and the price of food.

2008 could be the beginning of a massive food shortage that could last for years.

I'm feeling it in my wallet, what costs $40 for me in the stores 6 months ago now costs around $55-$60, everything has risen in price, milk [almost a dollar a gallon], bread [around 20 cents a loaf], eggs [almost a dollar increase]

www.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
hmmm, no one has a opinion on this?

No one has noticed a marked increase in food prices?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I've definitely noticed a price hike when it comes to certain items at the grocery store. That and gas of course. I swear that at least half my paycheck now goes to groceries and gas, if not more. We even got some raman noodles! (takes me back to University)...

Tela

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Its been discussed several times in the last few days. That's probably the reason for the lack of replies.

I think that its definitely a crisis in the making for the third world, who will be increasingly unable to maintain food supplies either due to rising prices or dwindling surpluses (or both). There are plenty of causes: skyrocketing populations and increasing consumption, high transportation costs (oil), biofuels such as ethanol, etc.

I would NOT want to be in a food importing nation right now. In fact, in the last few years, I've come to realize that I'm glad I'm not younger than I am, even though at 30, I'm not old. I'm afraid that the second half of this century is going to be a really nasty place for everyone. I'm glad I won't see much, if any of it. The first half is shaping up to be bad enough.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Thank God they halted their exports to feed their own people..

It won't be enough.. but.. the alternative..

Ireland's great famine could have been prevented had the sale of Wheat and meat products been halted. Even during the Famine Ireland's net export was.... food.

These countries halting food exports to keep an intra-trade of products to assist their people before making profits is a very good way to go.

But like I said.. it won't be enough.. and God forbid is something happens to a crop.. like a drought.. the situation for that country will be quite terrible.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I've noticed the crisis which is why I posted this on the 31st of March

Tensions rise as world faces food crisis
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

and thats why I included your thread in my opening post..

I'm still surprised that there isn't more interest in this

[edit on 2-4-2008 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I think most first worlders dont seem to really care yet. It cost more for groceries but they can still get food. I think people will start to notice when famine begins kill off millions of people across the third world. Sadly it will be too late for many millions of people.

For up to the hour updates on the growing crisis, Reuter's humanitarian website alertnet.org is the best source for information.

[edit on 2/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
By The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Senate Finance Committee passed a bill on Tuesday to battle hunger among Oklahoma families.

newsok.com...

Just another article fro the thread... also notworthy is the date of 2013.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Howdy everyone....

I live in New Zealand and food prices here have gone up dramatically... we used to pay around $2 for a pound of butter, now its over $4, dairy products have sky rockted to pay for exporting to other countries... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

all because of the high cost of oil.........
Everyone is feeling the pinch. Especially due to the high cost of petrol.
I just wished there was a cheaper alternative source than oil...

Sadly I think with the way things are going in this world regarding high food and petrol prices it is going to turn very nasty for alot of people...
eg. famine/food shortages.

We are also having alot of droughts here. Maybe the cause of this is due to global warming?

This world is going down a slippery slope and it is getting ugly very fast.

I hope that governments and countries and people... wake up fast enough to do something before its too late... but I know in reality this never happens. And it is always too late.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by misswanderer31
I hope that governments and countries and people... wake up fast enough to do something before its too late... but I know in reality this never happens. And it is always too late.

I don't think that there is any intention to do anything about it. Geopolitically I think a major famine in China for example would solve a number of problems and could lead a civil war that will bring the country into line with the west. Any depopulation will be a bonus. Both the wheat and rice shortages have been reported for some months now, there has been no drive to raise awareness. The major news coverage will not come until people are actually starving to death and people are fighting for basic staples. The truth is that nothing can now be done to prevent it, it is going to have a knock on effect and that will keep us all too worried about ourselves to care that people are starving to death in China and inevitably Africa. For the powers that be, the NWO and the Elites this is a win, win situation.

If you take the UK for example, we are fairly reliant on imported food stuffs. Our population is currently around 60 million, at a maximum we can feed 40 million of those people using home grown produce. Even that would require some rationing. To keep the surplus 20 million from starvation the powers that be, are going to ensure that imports continue, they would rather China starved than the British or any other 'white' northern european nation. China could presumably be contained and isolated, let nature do its work and possibly step in to save the day at the opportune moment.

I've been thinking about this a great deal of late and whether there is any engineering involved in the shortages. I don't think there has to be, just a failure to plan a response to shortages - the no-planning system as developed by Heinrich Himmler.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just new articles...

"Rice Jumps to Record, Corn Near High as Demand Outpaces Supply"
www.bloomberg.com...

"The World Bank estimates ``that 33 countries around the world face potential social unrest because of the acute hike in food and energy prices,'' Robert Zoellick, the bank's president, said on the organization's Web site. For these countries ``there is no margin for survival,'' he said."

And this ties in here and ties in with my theme of the lack of common sense in this world, especially with our policy makers...

"New biofuel laws are utter madness"
www.spiderednews.com...@www.moneyweek.com...

"It just doesn’t make sense

Pimentel calculated that an acre of US corn can be processed into about 328 gallons of ethanol. But planting, growing and harvesting that much corn requires about 140 gallons of fossil fuels and costs $347 per acre. That is $1.05 per gallon of ethanol before the corn even moves off the farm. Then there’s fermentation: as many as three distillation steps and other treatments are needed to separate the ethanol from the water.

So, adding up the total energy costs of corn production and its conversion to ethanol, 131,000 British thermal units (BTUs) are needed to make 1 gallon of ethanol, which has an energy value of only 77,000 BTU.

A net energy loss?
So, 70% more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy actually in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTU. Fans of ethanol as a fuel need to answer just one question - if producing biofuels is so cost effective, why on earth does their production require government subsidies?"

new topics

top topics

join