It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea warn of pre-emptive nuclear strike against neighbour

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   

North Korea warn of pre-emptive nuclear strike against neighbour

www.timesonline.co.uk

An escalating war of words across the world’s last Cold War, nuclear-armed border spiraled dramatically yesterday when North Korea threatened to wreak total destruction on its neighbour to the south.

“Our military will not sit idle until warmongers launch a pre-emptive strike,” the official news agency in Pyongyang reported a senior military commander as saing, “everything will be in ashes, not just a sea of fire, if our advanced pre-emptive strike once begins.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I wondered how long NK could stay out of the news. Of course you really don't know what to believe from them.
With middle east, China/Tibet, africa could the distant drum beat of war be far off.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Starred and flagged

Scarey that they can even think about this, never mind talk out loud and issue threats.

Question is, if it escalates further, would the US launch a pre-emptive strike themselves to protect their investment in the south? And how would china or russia feel about that

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about North Korea (just for now!).

Although, its true that they want the entire Korean penininsula for themselves and they hate America, they do not have the 'advanced' (whatever) they speak of. Its a third world country and whilst they have a large army, their industrial machine is weak - they even reported a lack of tractors and fuel to deliver crops to its poeple in 2006 and 07, who rely heavily on foreign aid. Even spare parts are a problem for this country. It is just tough talk to get them noticed.

The most interesting development here would be the response from China (who formally sponsored North Korea's communisim's efforts throughout the latter stages of the last century) given the Olympic games coming up. China have more important issues at hand - their economy - the've never had it so good and they will not let the NK's mess things up for them. A diplomatic jolt in the right direction may be China's reponse.

However, it doesn't help when George Bush demonises this country and refers to it as part of the 'Axis of Evil'. Well done George -another 23 million people added to the long list who want to wipe the US off the face of the planet.

Brei

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Star and flag for a good find. God it’s getting to the point that I can’t keep up, on what county to keep an eye on. But then it’s only going to take one country to start the ball rolling.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by BreifneHowever, it doesn't help when George Bush demonises this country and refers to it as part of the 'Axis of Evil'. Well done George -another 23 million people added to the long list who want to wipe the US off the face of the planet.

If there ever was an "evil" nation (government, NOT the people), then it would certainly be North Korea. So why not call it like it is? I don't think I even need to list the many horrible exploits committed by Kim Jong Il and his father over the decades.

But I suppose you would have been, or were, opposed to Reagan's labeling of the Soviet Union as an "evil empire", as well. But to sit here and act as though Bush including North Korea in his "axis of evil" speech is the reason for their current actions, is fairly absurd. They were committing horrible acts on their people and their neighbors, as well as secretly developing nuclear weapons despite an agreement with the US prohibiting it, long before Bush ever gave his speech. Now I know blaming Bush for everything is a common theme on this site, but in this instance I must say that he is not guilty as charged!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

I would think we need to understand what started this change of attitude. NK obviously needs help from it's sibling or half brother who is doing far better economically. To admit it and go as far as they have seems humbling and yet anyone else might see these as false concessions on the side of NK to get what they need for awhile.

So there's probably trust and national pride issues in a conflict of interests along with personality conflicts with the new SK president. Maybe things are moving too fast for both sides who want to maintain their lifestyles and national pride without the other telling them what they should do.

This reminds me of trying to get back together with a bad breakup and too high of expectations. Sort of like a prisoner who has been locked away too long through isolationism. I think full reunification is a long way off at this point. Nk is most likely more interested in maintaining its politics like China and a big piece of the capitalist pie. I seriously doubt either side wants to go to war over name calling and insults.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

Torturing people and disregarding international agreements eh? Sounds familiar...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Rasputin13,

I acknowledge your point, but as I stated ''it doesn't help'' the situation when the so-called 'leader of the free world' labels countries or their Governments as ''evil'', whilst diplomatic resolution is still achievable. Quite harsh in modern times to be using such language, (a typical 'Bushism').

Hitler was 'evil' in every sense of the word, Kim Jong-iL is a military dictator who does not even scrape the surface of what Hitler done. Was Saddam evil? Why then did the Americans supply him with weapons (chemical included) which were then used to massacre the Kurdish people in Northern Iraq? What about Iran - an ''axis of evil'' state - yet CIA involvement, billions in weapons sales over 20 years. Define evil and its use.

North Korea's history and their treatment of their own people - a black mark throughout, no question, but I believe I have touched upon this with the general state of their economy caused by the complete mismanagement of their resources.

Regarding the 'evil empire' statement - there appears to be a common theme here - its called the US foreign policy.

Yes, Bush is just a link in the policy's chain, an extension of the said policy to further the goal of the current administration - the economy needs war to sustain it. War is the legitimising of killing to further this goal.

Redefine 'evil' and you will find it is not Kim Jong-iL or his father. Its possibly closer to home than you had initially thought.

Brei

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

When North Korea sends their citizens to concentration camps I think we have every right to add them to the axis of evil.

If you communicate to the outside world in North Korea, you face a firing squad.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
Starred and flagged

Scarey that they can even think about this, never mind talk out loud and issue threats.

Question is, if it escalates further, would the US launch a pre-emptive strike themselves to protect their investment in the south? And how would china or russia feel about that

There is a massive problem with this statement!
North Korea is being harassed by USA for various reason and because they don't want to bow down to their all mighty military among other reasons.
We, Serbs know that first hand. Whole Country and civil industry in ruins because we said no intervention from the side in our business.
white house declared unilaterally that they can use preemptive strike against some country that MIGHT some day develop, PERHAPS use or just THINK about using weapons against USA! How idiotic is that statement?
You take upon yourself to decide who is to do what in THEIR OWN COUNTRY?
WTF guys!? Am I the only one who think this is sick or am I completely gone of the rails?
What interests could possibly US have on the other side of the world in a Korea that Koreans are not entitled to?
North Korea is now stating exactly same thing that USA invented and somehow you are all in awe, how dare they?
This is plainly matter of face and US should back of from every country they occupy or have a basses on if they want to stop WWIII before it escalates any further.
Gee wiz! If you give bag example to the kids they will grow up to be like you.
You can't demand of others to stop doing certain things that you invented yourself!
Another one that makes me sick is expression COLLATERAL DAMAGE in relations to PEOPLES LIVES!
I though the collateral was something to put in a bank to ask for a loan.
Lets try putting down 3 kids in the bank to get a mortgage for three bedroom flat shall we?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Apolon

Wow, North Korea threatens South Korea with nukes, and it's our fault somehow. I guess you being a Serb doesn't help since right now you're sore at us for the whole Kosovo thing, sorry. To me, this is a shining example of why nuclear proliferation needs to be stopped. ALL the new kids on the nuclear block have threatened to use them, from the nuclear exchange that almost happened between India and Pakistan, to this. Yes, I know we were the only ones to use them LONG ago, but if we hadn't, somebody else would have. Humans needed to see how horrible it was, I guess. Either way, these new countries that are pursuing them need to be stopped, or it most likely happen again. The law of averages needs to be applied when debating whether every country that wants them should get them. Yes, it's their country, but it's ALL of our planet and there are already balances to the nuclear powers that exist now. We need less, preferably none, not more.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Every now and then, it would be nice to read a news thread that has nothing to do with the US or Middle East, without someone going on a tirade about Bush or the US when neither are even part of the story.
Obsessing like that is not healthy nor informative. It adds nothing to the topic and always derails the topic.

North Korea is the author of its own issues. Every few months they create a drama and then demand money and aid to stop. Extortion in its purest form.

Their history is so cut and dried its completely predictable. Somebody will cave in and bribe them and they will go into obscurity for a while then the process will start all over again. Even so, NK may be the most dangerous monster on Earth. Only another monster would even consider siding with them.

The world, including the US needs to stop bribing that nut case and get on with the business of eliminating him from the Earth before he butchers possibly millions of innocents. It should actually be China that deals with this as they have been at the root of most of the bribes. China could probably shut that nut down any time they wish. Eventually they are going to get a nasty bite from that pet of theirs.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well, excellent we agree on the fact that nukes and bilogical weapons should be banned. The problem is how to do it?
We see US going around and bombing countries unilaterally and breaking every single international law and bypassing many domestic ones in the process and showing middle finger to the Congress.
Same very aggressive country and israel are threatening others of preemptive strike (whatever that means).
Now when Korea said that it is the end of the world yet US was saying it and doing it with impunity for years!
Can you see that picture from our point of view? If US was attacked because it was fighting well armed terrorist-separatists what would you think of that country?
If you were Korean, Iraqi or Iranian, how would you react to those threats? Bend over and take one from behind or would you use same rhetorics and possibly same solution to the conflict as a mean of survival?
Natures law is teaching us to reward goodness and punish twice as hard those who oppress us!
That is how I fell and how I see it. You want know that feeling till you are directly attacked and exterminated for no reason like we were.
Emotions are always high and memories fresh and embedded but we are very aware of wrongs and evils as well as of goodness and humanity.
US in my book stands at the moment at the pinnacle of Evil empires with no tendency towards improvement.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I think that Blaine raised "bribe" issue correctly. North Korean economy can not survive without foreign aid/bribe. So they constantly remind the world that they need help. What is a better way to ask for help and keep the mighty posture then to bring the nukes issue?
Basically a new fee is born - we will use the nuke (so far only in speeches) and destabilize whatever you have or pay up.
As for North Korea as a regime - even in our gray world some things are still distinctly black. When these guys were backed by Soviet Union and China they treated common citizens just as bad.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I didnt read this whole thread, but isnt this what Major Head Games said on Coast to Coast years ago? The first nuclear agression will be NK verses SK. He did, yes he did. My plucky-vision is consistent.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

While I don't completely agree with you on the subject regarding US involvement, because we take part in bribing this lunatic to shut him up for a few months at a time, I can definitely agree with you on the rest.

Lil' Kim needs to learn how to work along with the rest of the world in a fashion that does not involve playing with nukes like they were Tonka trucks just to get money flow into his country.

If he wasn't so maniacal it would almost be funny. This is by far the most oddly twisted world leader I can think of. Platform shoes, his American Pop Icon Ladies, and his other myriad of strange obsessions definitely set him a world apart.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apolon
We see US going around and bombing countries unilaterally and breaking every single international law and bypassing many domestic ones in the process and showing middle finger to the Congress.

Which countries have been "unilaterally" bombed, again?

Now when Korea said that it is the end of the world yet US was saying it and doing it with impunity for years!

Really now? Can you please give us an example of where the US has threatened to use nuclear weapons pre-emptively, and then used them in such a manner? I'm a history buff, and for the life of me, I can't remember when that's happened. So, please, educate us.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Only another monster would even consider siding with them.

But, but, but he's "standing-up" to the United States, so he must be a good guy!!!!!!11111 Because he's right, the US is a bully!!111

Or so the mentality goes. North Korea may threaten to launch a pre-emptive nuclear-strike, kill millions upon millions, but the US bombed Iraq and Serbia, so it's okay!!!!!111

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Their history is so cut and dried its completely predictable.

As are the reactions from the usual suspects.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well, excellent we agree on the fact that nukes and bilogical weapons should be banned. The problem is how to do it?

Well, a good start is not to allow any MORE countries to make them, then we can start to tackle the existing ones.

No. we're not "going around and bombing countries unilaterally", Afghanistan was legitmate, the Taliban refused to hand over Bin Laden after he attacked our country. Iraq, was a huge mistake, but was not unilateral. Several countries participated in that mistake, and have since pulled out of course, as we should. What happened in your country, over 10 years ago, was not the US alone either, it was a NATO operation.

Same very aggressive country and israel are threatening others of preemptive strike (whatever that means).

Um, so did Russia. But I can't think of what "others" you are referring to as far as my "very aggressive" country threatening...

No we haven't. End of the world?

Can you see that picture from our point of view?

Yeah, we both have points of view, but for BOTH of us they are clouded by what those in charge of us want them to be. To you, we're the evil bloodthirsty monsters, to us, you are. The truth is, BOTH our country's governments are evil, and would rather see us kill each other while they sit in safety and make money off of war.

If US was attacked because it was fighting well armed terrorist-separatists what would you think of that country?

Well, we probably would be attacked by several different countries if our military wasn't so advanced. That said, I would probably not like that country, just as you don't like us. But I can tell you, if it were up to me, we would have let you guys iron that out yourselves. It really wasn't our business, and if our government is going to pretend it cares about mass killing, it should at least be consistent. Funny how we don't intervene in Africa every 2 months, but I guess there's no strategic interests there.

US in my book stands at the moment at the pinnacle of Evil empires with no tendency towards improvement.

Well, that's unfortunate. Maybe you can give us til next year to see improvement, that's a pretty bold statement considering Bush is leaving after this year...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join