It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bacteria Killing Bandage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Bacteria Killing Bandage - This should be something i would love to look forward to its nice how a band aid can hold so much bacteria anyway but its a good thing if thay make bandades that kill bacteria while u have it on and its about time its the 21st century.

Biochemists Create Microbicidal Coating To Fight Hospital Infections

New bandages with microbicidal coating kill the most harmful bacteria on contact. The coating is washable and can also be used on hospital gowns and bed sheets, which will help reduce the risk of infection to all hospital patients and staff. Up to 20,000 Americans get hospital infections every year

[edit on 2-4-2008 by SaadAdam]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   

GAINESVILLE, Fla.--You go there for help, but millions of Americans get sick in hospitals. Hospital infections are growing to epidemic proportions because they're passed from person to person. Now, researchers are working to wipe out these infections with a new bacteria-killing bandage.

Gary Smithson was hit head-on by a drunk driver. The accident put him in a wheelchair, but that is not what keeps him there. It's what happened in the ER -- hours after the crash -- that has made the past 10 years unbearable. During a routine check, doctors found an infection.

Gary is one of 20,000 Americans that leave the hospital each year with an infection they didn't come in with. Gregory Schultz, a biochemist at the University of Florida in Gainesville, is part of a team working to wipe out these super bugs. They've created a microbicidal coating that can kill the most harmful bacteria.

Source

[edit on 2-4-2008 by SaadAdam]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This is a way overdue advancement is wound care. Silvadene patches have been around for decades for burn pts. Used one myself onetime on a nasty wound and it healed lickety split. They are doing some really cool stuff with hyperbaric chambers for bad wounds, diabetic ulcer, bedsores etc. I just put in for a position with a clinic who does this.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
This is a way overdue advancement is wound care. Silvadene patches have been around for decades for burn pts. Used one myself onetime on a nasty wound and it healed lickety split. They are doing some really cool stuff with hyperbaric chambers for bad wounds, diabetic ulcer, bedsores etc. I just put in for a position with a clinic who does this.

I think this is diffrent but the bandaid is huge and can go over a whole persons body?

nice not bad yeh its cool the medical things thay come up with for health

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
With mutated mrsa nosocomial infections and now prevalent in the public. I'd sure want an antibacterial body condom. CDC says the new mrsa is now a bigger killer in US than aids or anything else. And let me tell ya', it's a hella way to go. Almost as bad as flesh maniasis. Once you go septic it's bye bye.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

With mutated mrsa nosocomial infections and now prevalent in the public. I'd sure want an antibacterial body condom. CDC says the new mrsa is now a bigger killer in US than aids or anything else. And let me tell ya', it's a hella way to go. Almost as bad as flesh maniasis. Once you go septic it's bye bye.

Yeh there is some scary stuff out there thats spreading i like that condom thing u said i wouldent mind one incase anything happens u cant trust any human been out there these days with diseases i recently saw a court case because a lady gave a man a infection HIV spread and now he is suing her it is bad. But it has to be done

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I see nothing different for dirtbags that knowingly and willfully have unprotected sex with an aids or hiv status than holding a loaded .38 to their heads and pulling the trigger. I believe there is legal precedent for people locked up who will not desist in having unprotected sex with hiv status. That is the raw definition of sociopath. And when you hear one out of six teenage girls have some type of vd, it's simply chilling. Glad my last three girlfriends screwed me over so good I never want to have sex again. Sad, very sad, but true. I got my dogs. That's enough for me. Wish I didn't blow that 5500 for a 1.4 s1 v1 solitaire with two minor inclusions I'll never see again.
Go to bed John.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I see nothing different for dirtbags that knowingly and willfully have unprotected sex with an aids or hiv status than holding a loaded .38 to their heads and pulling the trigger. I believe there is legal precedent for people locked up who will not desist in having unprotected sex with hiv status. That is the raw definition of sociopath. And when you hear one out of six teenage girls have some type of vd, it's simply chilling. Glad my last three girlfriends screwed me over so good I never want to have sex again. Sad, very sad, but true. I got my dogs. That's enough for me. Wish I didn't blow that 5500 for a 1.4 s1 v1 solitaire with two minor inclusions I'll never see again.
Go to bed John.

Nice story yeh u cant trust anyone and like yeh its true it is like pulling a trigger to someone head if u give them aids its very bad your body becomes #ed and weak u need to take those medicines that give u energy i think it is or to stop anything virus hitting u because ya body becomes very weak from attacks very very sad.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This could potentially give is some very resistant bacteria, which is not good. This is really only usefull against large open wounds and high degree burns, that are highly prone to infections IMO.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
This could potentially give is some very resistant bacteria, which is not good. This is really only usefull against large open wounds and high degree burns, that are highly prone to infections IMO.

thats kind of true in a way but it can do small wounds also no? it has to thay are designed for most causes of wounds? its freaky how burns can be effected very easy its crazy.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I just noticed the date of the article...March 2006. It says "Up to 20,000 Americans get hospital infections every year"

Now, according to the CDC:

In American hospitals alone, healthcare-associated infections account for an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 associated deaths each year.

www.cdc.gov...
What's going on here?? Either the article got the number wrong, or the rate of infection has skyrocketed.

Sad thing is, a lot of those infections could have been prevented by 3 little things: soap, water and 15 seconds of handwashing.

As far as the bacteria killing bandage, while it sounds good, I have to agree with Thain. Last thing we need is more resistant super-bugs.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaadAdam

thats kind of true in a way but it can do small wounds also no? it has to thay are designed for most causes of wounds? its freaky how burns can be effected very easy its crazy.

Of course it will work on smaller wounds, but those are often not lethal in any way. Im only stating this from a technically point of view, where more bactericidal methods make them more resistant in the long run.

What I am saying is that it should only be used in situations where the hosts immune defence isn't able to cope with the large bacterial influx.

Originally posted by Astrithr
I just noticed the date of the article...March 2006. It says "Up to 20,000 Americans get hospital infections every year"

In American hospitals alone, healthcare-associated infections account for an estimated 1.7 million infections and 99,000 associated deaths each year.

www.cdc.gov...
What's going on here?? Either the article got the number wrong, or the rate of infection has skyrocketed.

Im pretty sure the number of cases are skyrocketing world wide, or at least in developed countries with 'free' access to medicine, but I do believe the numbers they quote a bit on the low side.

Sad thing is, a lot of those infections could have been prevented by 3 little things: soap, water and 15 seconds of handwashing.

Exactly.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

www.cdc.gov...

Wierd maybe but i doubt it maybe its just getting wild over there?

As far as the bacteria killing bandage, while it sounds good, I have to agree with Thain. Last thing we need is more resistant super-bugs.

Thats true if ppl just knew how to clean them selfs easy or used dettol and medical stuff t oclean its true but y not ay?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Of course it will work on smaller wounds, but those are often not lethal in any way. Im only stating this from a technically point of view, where more bactericidal methods make them more resistant in the long run.

What I am saying is that it should only be used in situations where the hosts immune defence isn't able to cope with the large bacterial influx.

yeh smaller wounds should be easy to take care of allways i can. ah hu mean if the person dont have enogh anti biotics i know i do i drink non stop dooghj with has whire yogurt i love the drink its powerful against al ldirts and bad things

top topics

join