It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One high school's view of British people...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Recently I did a group project in my debate III class, The project involved people voting on there view of the British. Since both Americans and British retain significant cultural heritage and modern interest as to music and films. American and British governments have an unparalleled relationship by intelligence sharing, military planning, technology sharing and common law. Overall we share the English Language.

Heres the data...

----Completed Data Info Table----
Voting Area: High School
Voting audience: Ages 13-20 Years
Total Students: 2231
Total ballots Completed: 2098 (Ballot per person)

----Completed Stats----
Whats your view of the British morally?
Excellent: %65
Good: %30
Fair: %4
Poor: %1

Whats your view of the British on friendliness?
Excellent: %16
Good: %12
Fair: %31
Poor: %32

Do you have a British ancestry?
Yes: %68
No: %33

Do you friendly relationship of any kind with British person? (Family, Friends, Internet Buddys, etc...)
Yes: %94
No: %6

How Important is the alliance between America and the United Kingdom? (Anglo-American relations)
Very Important: %86
Important: %24
Not needed: %1

The poll shows teenagers in my high school have good views of the British people. But friendliness... Which I cant understand, is very low. Also the voting ballots were "fill in the dot" and computer processed and calculated.
---------
I couldn't find the skunk works forums if its still around, so please a mod please move this if skunk works still exists.

[edit on 4/2/08 by Files]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
There is sometimes a notion here that the North is alot friendlier than the South of England. Obviously this doesnt apply to everybody I know, but I have found that when I have travelled around the country, people down South tend to be more focused on their lives, they are busier and perhaps have less time for other people. Again Im not trying to label anyone here just a trend I have noticed.

That would also fit in with how the media focus is totally on the South, even here in the UK we rarely get much focus up North as nobody seems to care, so I would guess that It would be worse in America.

Just to add, I would be interested to see the same survey given about America from an English point of view, I wouldnt hesitate to say that you would find mostly the opposite response.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Perhaps the friendly % is so low because of all the token "English a-holes" on tv panel shows? Such as Simon Cowel, Ramsay, Piers Morgan, and so on.

But who knows, we Americans aint so smarts....... Perhaps thats another reason???

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FilesBut friendliness... Which I cant understand, is very low.

It's cos Britons are amongst the finest, most respectable gentlefolk on the face of the planet and serve as a shining example of civility to us all. They are a lot more reserved in general than North Americans.

Mod Edit: Please see Terms and Conditions of Use 2) Behavior. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 3/4/08 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Thats abit of a bold statement, don't you think?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnOldFriend
Perhaps the friendly % is so low because of all the token "English a-holes" on tv panel shows? Such as Simon Cowel, Ramsay, Piers Morgan, and so on.

Heres some very popular British stars in America,
Sean Connery - One of the best actors of all time.
Pierce Brosnan - The last James Bond, Yes I know hes Irish...
Daniel Craig - The New James Bond
Kiefer Sutherland - Main Actor of 24
Simon Cowel - The biggest "A-hole" yet people still like him.
Beatles - Like Flanders said on the Simpsons " They were bigger than God"

Originally posted by rizla
It's cos Britons are amongst the finest, most respectable gentlefolk on the face of the planet and serve as a shining example of civility to us all. They are a lot more reserved in general than North Americans.

A sad thing that people still stereotype British people to more civilized and imperialistic snobs.
Not including America into the factor of thought.

Originally posted by lezvigi
Just to add, I would be interested to see the same survey given about America from an English point of view, I wouldnt hesitate to say that you would find mostly the opposite response.

Well It seems like everyone thats not American hates America right now.
It be quite pointless to survey cause most of everyone will mark the lowest
on everything.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I certainly dont hate America, nor any other country for that matter. To be honest the state my own country is in I would seem a fool going around complaining about others.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Right after the London bombing, I was on a British site and I expressed my condolences to and my support for the British people.

I've never been cursed as much on any website at any time since I started using the internet six or more years ago.

Except for the profanity, we get the same kinds of attitudes here on ATS and I've noticed it on YouTube, as well.

I don't know what contact these young people actually have with the British, but if it's on the internet, that could account for the negative perception.

The whole world owes a debt of gratitude to the British, especially those of us who are or were a part of the empire.

By the way, I am of English, Scottish, Irish, and Norwegian extraction and proud of it, even if my cousins can sometimes be a bit snooty.

new topics

top topics

join