It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a bit confused

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I've got a set of blizzaks on my gs400 lexus for two seasons. I come out one day to go to the store after it sat in my locked garage for three days.
Front passenger tire was flat as a board. I limped down to gas station at 5 mph and put 40 lbs in it. Did my shopping. Came home and it sat till today, two days later. I had every expectation of changing the tire and its still holding 40lbs. Only thing I can think of is I had a nail and perhaps threw it on my last run. Just seems strange to me but I'm not complaining.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Could you please describe your confusion in more detail? Also, did you get photos of the tire? Were there witnesses perhaps? If no photos, could you please draw a picture of the tire as it appeared flat, then again as it miraculously stayed firm?

Laughing....

[edit on 2-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
LOL....nobody likes a smart*** lol. Ok, it was on skunk works, so maybe a skunk bit it in the night. ROFL.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Well ok, if I have to be serious, I would imagine the reason behind it is, basic tire pressure/temperature coupled with a slow leak.

Gradually over the winter I am sure you lost air anyway, plus the cold temperatures make the tire deflate...and since it was only that tire and not the others, I would imagine it has a very VERY slow leak on top of the cold temperatures.

But I am sure you know this, being a guy.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
No Ma'am, I check my pressure once a month because I love my Blizzaks!Best dang winter tires I ever had and would recommend them to anyone. In a three day period it just went dead dog flat. That's what I don't get, and now it's holding pressure. Just weird. I stipulated locked garage, cause my first guess would be hooligans out for a prank. Unless, and I just thought about this, a malfunctioning valve stem. Might have stuck open for some reason, pothole, who knows.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Well then, that is indeed a mystery!

That or a loose valve stem cap, but that wouldn't matter since you check them frequently.

Oh well, my tire knowledge is now depleted. But I appreciate the post, since I have been neglecting my own tires now that I think about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
This sounds like a subject for BTS, not ATS....
Sorry for the one liner...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
My apologies. This really should be under autos in bts. My mistake. Mods please move to where approprate.
Thanks
John

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Er, maybe some kids just let your tyre down and there was never anything wrong with it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Flyer that would have been my first guess. But I rode home without issue. Locked in my private garage at my home. And poof, three days later, flat, zero pressure. Put 40 in it. and its holding. I feel badly for not posting this on bts. I just never encountered anything like it before, but certainly no monumental issue.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
Well ok, if I have to be serious, I would imagine the reason behind it is, basic tire pressure/temperature coupled with a slow leak.

Gradually over the winter I am sure you lost air anyway, plus the cold temperatures make the tire deflate...and since it was only that tire and not the others, I would imagine it has a very VERY slow leak on top of the cold temperatures.

But I am sure you know this, being a guy.

Hello, everyone. First post. What LateApexer said it true, and also different whether conditions and outside air pressures can affect the pressure in your tires, air pressure outside equals tire pressure, basically. Then you factor in the the tires get hotter after you have driven for awhile, and this will also raise tire pressure. In my opinion, being a long time mechanic, I check mine every few days, I have a nice gauge-type one handy in my van. I have P175/75R 15 tires, and I try to maintain 37# in all. This gives me the best wear pattern, and optimum gas mileage. There have been some warning of late on tires. It seems that tires that are over 6 years old, when new, should not be used.

BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tires should not be put into service if they are over 6 years old and that all tires should be replaced 10 years from the date of their manufacture.

www.newsomelaw.com...
Here is another free tip:
When you buy tires, and have them mounted, go to a reputable tire shop, and tell the tech that you want the rims sealed, new valve stems, the shortest you can manage, and that you want them computer balanced, and then hand them your 4-way lug wrench, (if you don't have one, you need one) and tell him to tighten with that, instead of the trusty air wrench. That way if you do have a flat, you will be able to get the tire off. I also oil the threads so the lug-nuts go on easily. A good jack is the last thing to carry, sometimes the one that came in your can isn't of the finest quality. I have a 1990 Chevy G20 van, and use a 2 ton hydraulicjack from Advance Auto. ($24.95)

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

i suspect that the last time you checked the tires that the valve did not seat properly, like a piece of dust or debris between the seal and the stem. ever so tiny and it slowly, over the length of time you last checked the pressure, leaked down through the tight valve cap of course, then after three days it was very noticable and obvious, went completely flat. so how far did you drive from your locked garage to the gas station?
then when you refilled your thie you blew the dust or debris back into the tire and it will never happen again.
I might add that there have been reports of the G2 infared remote operated pressure release deflation device being used by vandal teenage ruffians for this purpose as well. The intended use was military application to depressurize enemy vehicle tires and immbilize the vehicles.
Just my two cents. though it was probably the dust or debris on the seat/stem.

new topics

top topics

join