It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Decoded: 'The clay tablet that tells how an asteroid destroyed Sodom 5,000 years ago'?

www.dailymail.co.uk

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for more than a century has been identified as a witness's account of an asteroid that destroyed the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah 5,000 years ago.

Researchers believe that the tablet's symbols give a detailed account of how a mile-long asteroid hit the region, causing thousands of deaths and devastating more than one million sq km (386,000 sq miles).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I wonder if there is any real evidence to back this guys theories up? Is he another crackpot or is he on to something real? Its still an interesting article nonetheless.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I am reading various sources showing evidence for an asteroid collison but also for a massive earthquake.

Some of the ones for the asteroid spin, have inconsistencies with the numbers presented in this article, which I found interesting.

One thing is evident though; there are areas near the Dead Seas that match the biblical descriptions of Sodom and Gomorrah, and some compelling archaelogical evidence showing the area was devistated by extreme heat.

Some of it is fairly convincing, and all of it very interesting

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I think towards the end in this Wiki link it discusses the decoding of this tablet and also archaelogical evidence for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah:

Sodom and Gomorrah @ Wiki

Here is some good reading on further evidence, all these might be biased towards a 'proving Christian is real' slant. Still, interesting evidence!

Sodom and Gomorrah @ Arkdiscovery.com

Sodom and Gomorrah @ Christiananswers.net

[edit on 033030p://2u22 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven; And he overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground. ~Gen 19:24-5)

And he looked toward Sodom and Gomorrah, and toward all the land of the plain, and beheld, and, lo, the smoke of the country went up as the smoke of a furnace.” ~Genesis 19:28

And it came to pass, when they had brought them forth abroad, that he said, Escape for thy life; look not behind thee, neither stay thou in all the plain; escape to the mountain, lest thou be consumed. ~Genesis 19:17

And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; ~Peter 2:6

Sodom and Gomorrah @ Wiki

Flavius Josephus, a Romano-Jewish historian, wrote something along the lines of:

Now, about this time the Sodomites, overwhelmingly proud of their numbers and the extent of their wealth, showed themselves insolent to men and impious to the divinity, insomuch that they no more remembered the benefits that they had received from him, hated foreigners and avoided any contact with others. Indignant at this conduct, God accordingly resolved to chastise them for their arrogance, and not only to uproot their city, but to blast their land so completely that it should yield neither plant nor fruit whatsoever from that time forward.
—Jewish Antiquities 1:194-195

And the angels came to the city of the Sodomites...when the Sodomites beheld the young men, who were outstanding in beauty of appearance and who had been received into Lots’s house, they set about to do violence and outrage to their youthful beauty....Therefore, God, indignant at their bold acts, struck them with blindness, so that they were unable to find the entrance into the house, and condemned the Sodomites to destruction of the whole population.
—Jewish Antiquities 1:199-202

[edit on 033030p://2u43 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Don't know, Mike- Star!

I'm always interested in asteroid theories. Seems very likely could be...

Ever since Eugene Shumacher's study of the 'Mechanics of Impact',
(proven by Shumacher-Levy 9 slamming into Jupiter in '93), i shudder at
the thought!

One of the scariest, most violent possibilities of an Extinction-Level-Event!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I wonder if a meteorite impact or some other physical reaction would of caused the massive amounts of salt in the area. I'm not a chemist, so it would be great if anyone with a background in that could comment if some kind "insert name"-chloride or some other chemical reaction could produce heat, flame, and leftover sodium chloride.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
chemical reaction could produce heat, flame, and leftover sodium chloride.

Hmmm left over sodium chloride from massive heat...

Fry a few million people and you have left over salt...

I am leaning towards a Nuke... like in India... from a "war of the worlds" angle but have not put all that together yet...

But this tablet sounds interesting none the less.. Thanks for the find ... more work to do

[edit on 2-4-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

I am leaning towards a Nuke... like in India... from a "war of the worlds" angle but have not put all that together yet...

Were you leaning more towards sarcasm or do you think there might be some evidence there? I think there is.

I remember that ol' ATS user Indigo_Child's posts on Vedic scripture in support of that. That was some great reading imo

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

I'm not a chemist, so it would be great if anyone with a background in that could comment if some kind "insert name"-chloride or some other chemical reaction could produce heat, flame, and leftover sodium chloride.

Aye, I am hoping for the same, as I am more of an alchemist then a chemist

Some of those sources I linked said there was gypsum found at the alleged Sodom and Gomorrah sites as well. Supposedly formed when tremendous heat converted ...um... sulfur and limestone into gypsum. Would be interesting to see what the subject matter experts say on that.

One of the pages I linked also said the ash found on the sites composed of calcium sulfate and calcium carbonate, a byproduct of, again, sulfur and limestone burning together.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Fry a few million people and you have left over salt...

This passage was in context to Lot and his wife escaping (to the mountains?) after God rained fire and brimestone upon the cities...

But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt." ~Genesis 19:26

Hmm... heh

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
That was an awesome read Mike. Saw the article this am of yahoo.
Still some mystery, like you say, the incredible amount of salts in the area.
I saw a pbs doc last year on the dead sea and surrounding areas and you have to keep hydrated because the salt winds just suck the fluids from you. Also found, was great areas of shocked glass, something one would find after a nuclear explosion or massive meterorite. Then I read recently on ats 'directed' meteor strikes in the bible. Killing an entire army of would be Israelite aggressors. Still many mysteries. Very cool story and artifact.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I was just reading that one idea is that Lot's wife was covered by pyroclastic sodium chloride which like the pyroclastic ash of pompeii would of encased her body in a shell. I would think both a volanic event or meteor impact can create a pyroclastic flow of salt, given there is enough in the area to heat up.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Very possible Mike. But I would think Lots wife would be in rather close proximity to him, so ....I don't know. Sure their are many areas even in the US of salt deposits. Mostly by leftover ancient oceans. Like under Lake Erie for instance. One of Mortons best salt mines next to Chi towns. But these are at great depths. The dead sea area seems more recent as it hasn't been laden over by geologic activities.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Very interesting. Two things come to mind to make this very plausible. I'll write them in bold for extra emphesis.

1. The deadsea is the lowest place geographically on earth and is the exact area where the cities flourished. Could this be from a mass impact?

2. The entire area surrounding for thousands of miles is mostly barren of plants and general flora.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by arclore

1. The deadsea is the lowest place geographically on earth and is the exact area where the cities flourished. Could this be from a mass impact?

2. The entire area surrounding for thousands of miles is mostly barren of plants and general flora.

That's all accurate as far as I know..

So are you thinking that the Dead Seas is in essence a giant crater? Asteroid impact? Supervalcano impact?(although I think I read there wasn't any volcanic evidence there). Massive earthquake?

Is the abscence of flora a result of the soil having very high salinity? Or do they attribute it to something else?

[edit on 043030p://2u39 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I was just reading that one idea is that Lot's wife was covered by pyroclastic sodium chloride which like the pyroclastic ash of pompeii would of encased her body in a shell. I would think both a volanic event or meteor impact can create a pyroclastic flow of salt, given there is enough in the area to heat up.

ahh... I was just looking at the 'salt' aspect, but that covers the 'pillar' part. Very interesting. Now I have to look some of this stuff up

I think I was reading that there wasn't any geological/archaelogical evidence for it being volcanic related... just asteroid or earthquake. If i recall correctly there is a big fault line somewhere around said area in the Dead Seas..

Time for some reading

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The deadsea could be the central basin caused from the impact, certainly. I don't think there is any vocanic activity in that area at all. Fire and brimstone certainly would have rained down aswell.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by arclore]

top topics

join