It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucky Soldier Dives On Grenade Walks Away With Bloody Nose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Lucky Soldier Dives On Grenade Walks Away With Bloody Nose

www.rareverhalen.nl

A Royal Marine in southern Afghanistan threw himself onto an exploding grenade to save the lives of his patrol.

Miraculously, Lance Corporal Matt Croucher, a marine reservist from Birmingham, survived the blast with little injury when his rucksack and body armour took the force of the blast. He is expected to receive one of the highest awards for gallantry.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Here's some good news for a change, but its not just any good news. This is miraculous wow good news.

The selfless sacrifice this great Royal Marine displayed to protect his comrades is on a scale that most people find hard to comprehend. The fact that he survived to be thanked and awarded is an honor very few like him will ever receive.

www.rareverhalen.nl
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Great story! It's good to know that there are people who take an oath to protect their fellow soldiers, and then do it!

This guy should get more than just a metal, he should get an entire country! Or at least a golden wheel barrel to carry around his giant BALLS!!! Nice post!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Makes me remember the GI in WW2 that threw himself on a grenade during a meeting of brass and lost most of his guts for it. What a selfless heroic act in the first degree.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
that guy is really lucky to be alive.. that might be the 1st person to live from something like that.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Sounds like the Royal Marines are issued better quality body armor than their U.S. counterparts.

True hero, great post MikeboydUS!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Wow, great story!

Saved by his rucksack and body armor! I've heard of a lot of heroic acts here and there, but sadly, they are few and far between in the U.S. media outlets.

Along with a medal, he should be exempt from further service, but I am sure, he's got the type of integrity and true bravery where even if given a pass from further military duty, he's the type of soldier that would sign up for another tour of duty.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It would be nice if they give him a Memorial like a statue or monument. Normally great soldiers like him make the ultimate sacrifice and are never forgotten by having memorials dedicated to them. I think he should never be forgotten for his great act of selfless heroism and should be honored with a monument or statue as a shining example of supreme valor.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chucktah
Great story! It's good to know that there are people who take an oath to protect their fellow soldiers, and then do it!

This guy should get more than just a metal, he should get an entire country! Or at least a golden wheel barrel to carry around his giant BALLS!!! Nice post!

There is a good chance that he was actually pushed onto the Grenade. Anyway, I thought that golden wheel barrel remark was funny as hell!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
We just discussed this case with friends yesterday night. The amazing thing is not just the courage to act. Even more the ability to keep a cool head and think it through - he jumped on it so that the rucksack would be between him and the blast.

Cool head, quick thinking and courage.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
I've heard of a lot of heroic acts here and there, but sadly, they are few and far between in the U.S. media outlets.

I don't want to diminish the actions of Royal Marine Lance Corporal Croucher. His gallantry and selflessness is obvious. I am so pleased that he did not have to forfeit his life or suffer grievous injury in his brave action. However I do want to answer the comment by LateApexer313.

The US media certainly doesn't dwell upon the courageous actions of the fine men and women of the US military or, upon the brave deeds of the coalition forces. This, however, does not mean that there are no noteworthy acts of courage occurring.

On April 8th, for example, a SEAL team member will be posthumously awarded a Medal of Honor for selflessly giving up his life to save his fellow SEAL team members:

In May 2006, only a month into his first deployment to Iraq, the 25-year-old Navy SEAL from Garden Grove, Calif., ran under fire into a street to drag to safety a wounded comrade who was shot in the leg, earning a Silver Star for his courage.

On Sept. 29, 2006, another act of valor would cost Monsoor his life -- and save the lives of three comrades. For that act, he will posthumously be awarded a Medal of Honor on April 8, the White House said yesterday.

Monsoor "distinguished himself through conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life," said an official summary of action. He is the first sailor and the third service member overall to receive a Medal of Honor for actions in the war in Iraq. [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/31/AR2008033102330.html?nav=hcmodule]source

The US media, it would appear, are not interested in reporting upon the many brave actions of those serving in Iraq and Afghanistan choosing, instead, to focus their reports on issues that might serve to embarass the military.

Perhaps, my last statement is erroneous. Nevertheless, it is sad that so many courageous actions are going unreported in the general media.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Throwing yourself on a grenade is about as close as you can get to an automatic Victoria Cross action! That said, the Royal Marines have a tendency to play down their acts of gallantry on the grounds that Marines are expected to be braver than anyone else.

It is a shame that acts of gallantry are not properly reported in the US media, but such stories rarely hang around for too long in the British media either. there is a huge dichotomy between the reporting of George Cross recipients and Victoria Cross recipients (the awards are of equal precedence) and the difference in reporting between our two most recent VC winners L/Cpl Brian Budd and Private Johnson Beharry is marked and all because Beharry survived and Budd didn't.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
This is actually an older story that has re-surfaced because he has now been nominated for a VC.

I think he deserves it.

link

[edit on 2/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Already posted 3 days ago:

Marine threw himself onto grenade

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Knowing the royal marines and british classic understatement he'd probably say he just tripped going for a spot of tea.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
"Lucky"?!

I think they misspelled "Heroic".

[edit on 2-4-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hey there, Im really sorry but a thread on this was started earlyer and in fairness i will have to close this one,

Please feel free to add you thoughts to the ongoing thread,

Any problems please feel free to u2u me,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join