It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'They're here': The mechanism of poltergeist activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

'They're here': The mechanism of poltergeist activity

www.newscientist.com

The sight of small blonde girls watching television is guaranteed to strike fear into the heart of anyone who has watched the movie Poltergeist.

We're right to be terrified, say physicists. Children generate poltergeist activity by channelling energy into the quantum mechanical vacuum.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
At first I thought this has to be an April fool's joke. Then I started digging deeper. First here's a link about the future article in the Journal of Neuroquantology:

arxiv.org...

The journal itself is very real. You can find it here:

www.neuroquantology.com...

The last confirmation came from the AFP. In this story about April fools jokes.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

But the British weekly New Scientist took a new tack on the tradition by publishing stories on its website that seemed so bizarre that they could only be April Fools, but were in fact genuine.

One was a study by pair of Italian physicists who came up with a quantum explanation for poltergeists -- the ghostly phenomenon whereby objects fly around the room, apparently of their own accord.

I am glad to see some of this start to come out in the open. The military and some defense contractors have been messing around with anomalous cognition and operation for decades now. I hope this moves out more in the mainstream, especially as links between quantum mechanics and neuroscience are explored further.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
For those interested I wanted to point out the article itself is here in PDF format:

arxiv.org...

It has all eight pages that will be appearing in the Neuroquantology scientific journal. They believe the phenomena is caused by increase in entropy in the mind if I understand correctly.

What I would like to know is how this relates to stress? Does stress increase entropy in the mind? Stress seems to be a factor in generating anomalous operative phenomena. Especially in what has been called Materials Deformation, that can lead to electronic and mechanical failure in systems.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Wow, fascinating stuff, Mike, Star!

Maybe like a human generated Electro-Magnetic Pulse!?!

The funny thing is, to me, that in the movie Poltergiest, i think some road
signs were also flim-flamming back and forth violently; so back in the day,
my buddies & i would be cruisin', and drinkin', and one of 'em would stick
his .45 out the window, and blast some rounds at an old sign, and yell
"Poltergiesting"!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Roughly thirty years ago I knew a very young female co-worker who had this poltergeist-like phenomenon. She'd walk past a desk and a 10-key or typewriter would slide right off the desk onto the floor. Other smaller objects like staplers and such flew as well; but, the typewriter was the largest.

I watched this for months until I could determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't cords being tripped over nor intentional quick hand-work by occupant desk-owners.

Other co-workers agreed that they had seen this anomoly and kept it to themselves as they thought they had missed something. Nobody had talked to the girl.

I cornered her after work and told her of a tv show I had seen where they had determined there was an "electrical short-circuit" so to speak in the person's brain at the back of the head. (I've forgotten now if it was in the obdula oblongata or just above that.) I told her the show suggested a person afflicted with this peculiarity see a "parapsychologist".

She held no grudges against any of the person's whose equipment was 'victimized.' She was very grateful and happy to find out there was a reasonable explanation and a possible treatment. She'd been called "Klutzt" and "Clumsey" all her life.

It never happened again!

new topics

top topics

join