It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Releases Memo on Harsh Tactics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Pentagon Releases Memo on Harsh Tactics

ap.google.com

"Our previous opinions make clear that customary international law is not federal law and that the president is free to override it at his discretion," said the memo written by John Yoo, who was then deputy assistant attorney general for the Office of Legal Counsel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
So it is now official. The first question is this:

What message does it send to the world, that the United States is free at any time to override international law?

If one nation excludes itself from such agreements as the Geneva Conventions and is not held responsible by the international community, then logically it is optional for everyone.

Does this qualify the United States as a rogue state?

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2008/4/1 by SteveR]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The US has "done its own thing" since its creation. After 911 everything changed though. The Bush Administration was granted the power to act with impunity thanks to the Patriot Act Part 1 and 2. The Homegrown Terrorism bill certainly hasn't helped free the American people any, but has greatly increased the police state here at home.

Will the International War Crimes Court take Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield and company to jail? Unlikely, but I'd like to see it.

I'd say we've been rogue for about 7 years now since 9/11/01.

It is clear John Yoo and his Patriot Act buddies cooked up some havoc for the world. The neocons have been bent on controlling the world since they came to power, and will stop at nothing to continue their power grab.

"By any means necessary" includes torture. If the US can do it, why can't everybody else, right?

If the US can torture civilians in Iraq/Afghanistan (how about that Canadian and German they've had for years) who don't have anything to do with military conflict, then it serves us right to be tortured.

If we weren't in the middle east in the first place none of our troops would be killed.

Its very basic logic.

Thought you might like this Steve:

[edit on 4/2/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I find it amazing that this President is the son of the President who stated the world should recognize the rule of international law as supreme. Christ, isn't international law one of the reasons we invaded Iraq?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Tis true. We supposedly went into Iraq for the safety and security of the Iraqi people, but have done nothing to improve their quality of life.

This is the same President who recently vetoed the ban on torture.

Remember who you're dealing with here my friend
Curious George boy wonder. He's sunk companies, skipped out on Vietnam, is a member of the Skull and Bones, compulsive liar (or just forgets what he says?), and the "decider" of my country's actions.

I cannot wait till January 2009.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I just can't believe that they have the cajone's to say that they are, in fact above the law. Not only are they above the international law, as clearly stated in this memo, they are above our own national laws as illustrated by the warrantless wiretapping and domestic spying.

I just can't believe they are so open about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I hope everyone knows that the office of legal councils opinion letters paved the way for Bush's totalitarian-type leadership, but to see a memo like this in the light of day is disheartening.

"Finally, even if the criminal prohibitions outlined above applied, and an interrogation method might violate those prohibitions, necessity or self-defense could provide justifications for any criminal liability," the memo concluded.

Nicely put. If I can find a way to spin my desires so that it looks like it is in the better interest of americans, I can do it... basically.

I am all for protecting america, but this is more like protecting a personal agenda.

Well, I can see it clearly you blundering fools!

Btw, You beat me to the punch on this thread.
Could it be the fact that you're in the future?

AAC

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

My sentiments, too biggie, star!

Things have been getting curiouser & curiouser since 9/11, and not much
of it good!

I wonder why "we the people" don't do anything about it?

One thing i noticed alot of lately, is anyone who disagrees with 'them', is
outright rejected; or diagnosed w/mental disorders & forced onto meds!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Look at new proof war on terror. If terrorist where trying to make us sick, If mafias where helping them along with foreign gov intel.... I say theyre frickin Heros of the world..... If not then OK keep kicken them to me its lack and white. Look where I tell you then think on it. Dont forget the nazis... google belgium terror nazi......

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I love these threads because there is never any involvement of the radical conservative cheerleaders on these!

I can only hope something like this opens your eyes? I may ramble on but at least i have been telling the truth and nothing but the truth since i joined here. Call it a gift.

top topics

join