It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pepsi, Coke you name it, do you really get 12 Ounces?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
We all know that water can not be compressed, right?

If this is true, then how much of the space in the can is taken up by the gas? The CO2? You can compress gas, but can not compress liquid, so are you really getting 12 ounces of liquid or are we getting 10 ounces of liquid and 2 oz of gas? I know it sounds kinda strange, but are we getting ripped off because of this, false advertising? Isn't that against the law?

15 min's later...

Ok I did some serious searching trying to find some info on whether you can compress water or not... Water, which is what all these products are made from, mixed with sugars and colorings and CO2... I found nothing on whether you can or can not, just empty statements saying, yes you can and no you can't, but nothing to back up their statements... I ran google search, but nada...

[edit on 1-4-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have a 16oz beer...I'm about to find out...it might take a lil bit!

Have you tried to measure anything yet?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't claim to know too much about things like this, but soft drinks are not composed of 'water' as we know it, but of 'carbonated water,' which is water that has had carbon dioxide dissolved into it at pressure. That pressure holds the CO2 in that solution, and when the pressure is released so is the CO2. So effectively it is the gas that is compressed, not the water.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Yes in my basement I conduct complex scientific experiments and record all the data... :shk:

But seriously,

Some info on the weight of air compressed..

I guess I would need to know how much compressed gas they put into the soda to give it that fizzy feeling, then figure out how much each molecule weighs? Then measure the effects of the compressed gas on liquid... Then use some complex equations to figure out if it actually is less... ?

I really don't know how to do it...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
OR, you could just stick the can on some scales, work out how much the liquid inside weighs, and then compare it to how much 350ml of water SHOULD weigh, which happens to be 350 grams.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Good idea, when i have some extra time I'll try to test this theory... I'll bet when all the fiz is gone there is less soda than water, but we'll see... I could be wrong, but if I'm right then we've been getting ripped off forever... uhg...

I'll update when i do the test...

new topics

top topics

join