It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy Pluto, is this possible?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Seriously, I want to own Pluto so I can declare it a planet!!! Can I do this and if so anyone know how? I think it would be cool to tell someone I own Pluto or at least some land on Pluto...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Don't know about full ownership, but I've heard that Mickey rents him out once in a while when he's short of cash!

MonKey

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If someone or some company offers to sell you plots of land on another planet or moon ignore them, its a massive con.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by UK Wizard]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
If someone or some company offers to sell you plots of land on another planet or moon ignore them, its a massive con.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by UK Wizard]

Ya, no, a company has not offered anything like that to me... I have heard of people buying parts of the moon due to some sort of loop hole... Heard of this? If you can buy the moon then you could buy Pluto... I wonder who owns the rights to it and what gives them the authority to own the rights... Also I wonder how much it would cost...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Article 2 of the United Nations Outer Space Treaty states:

Outer space, including the moon and other celestial bodies, is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means.

As a citizen of any of the signing nations would probably forbid you from claiming ownership. Even if you did claim it (as there is no one that you can purchase it from), you would still have no way to enforce your claim.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
You don't want to own the moon, because whenever a king tide comes along and wrecks houses, etc, you are suddenly going to how a lot of people a lot of money. Ever wonder why the U.S. didn't lay claim to it?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUncleSam
Seriously, I want to own Pluto so I can declare it a planet!!! Can I do this and if so anyone know how? I think it would be cool to tell someone I own Pluto or at least some land on Pluto...

It just so happens that several highly desirable plots have just opened up, this is due to the sub prime crash... So now is an excellent time to cash in on a bargain.

Prices start at £100 per acre - and considering Pluto is only 2'3rds the size of the moon that's a whole lotta land for your money!!

All sales certified and official.

For further details simply U2U me!

(I accept cash / beer / paypal / other peoples girlfriends / food / motorcycles / self help books / plots of land on other celestial body's and ATS points)

[edit on 2/4/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That's good stuff man! LmAO!

I think the loop hole is no nation can claim it, which means I can!!!

I HEREBY CLAIM PLUTO AS MINE, IT'S MINE!!!

Guess I'll have to contact the russian space agency, have them launch me in a probe or something... I should get there in the next 700 years or so... sweet! Hey Now_Then you can have 49%... I have the rights to McDonald's and you can have the rights to Moxy... Sound good...? I mean what else do we need really...?

Wouldn't that suck if you missed the planet? :bnghd:

I need sleep... gnight...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Walt Disney's Estate might have a problem with you claiming Pluto for yourself. LOL. Just kidding. I know you mean the planet Pluto. It's okay with me if you claim it as your own.But how would you get yourself there?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
whoever or whatever 'owns' pluto, would probably not be very happy if they heard this conversation right now!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
...yes, I remember when people were buying parts of the moon!

Congrats on owning Pluto!

...in that case I own everything in outer space that is left unclaimed, starting now...

You can come visit anytime!

[edit on 4/2/2008 by Givenmay]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Actually there is a way to do this,

Land on Pluto, create a colony. Thats it. thats all you have to do.

How you do this without a butload of money? hmmmm

That's harder to think about.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Whatukno is right, it's like the game Civilization, have you ever played it?
You will have to have plenty of people with you to keep it, someone can just come by and blow up everyone, then take it over!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

I love that game! One of my favorite games of all time.

But thats how you can own a planet you have to have physical claim to it. IE be on the planet. You get there it's yours. Course some aliens may have claim to it already if you believe John Lear

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Yea, mine too!
I have been playing Civilization IV (The Warlords)
I just like to find all the resources, take all the land, and have all the Technology's...etc.
I'm not much into the fighting part!
:shk:

...but, yea play that game and you will know what to do!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Givenmay

Might need a new thread to talk about this. (Man I wish I wasn't banned from chat)

Anywho, yea those buying parts of the moon and naming stars scams are just a waste of money.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
From my understanding of how law works possession is 9/10ths of the law. So I say build you a house up there, homestead it, and its all yours.

Loved the post regarding liability for the moons effects on tides.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
...buying parts of the moon and naming stars scams are just a waste of money.

I had to give a star to whatukno because it's totally correct.
You can't sell what you don't own.
I can stand in my yard and name every star in the night sky after me, but what scientific body would recognize my designations ?

"Ownership" being the act of having and controlling property, legalities aside, how could you either have it or control it ?

Some good points worth debating though.
I know space law is in it's infancy right now, but read these legal definitions of "Ownership".

actual possession - (law) immediate and direct physical control over property

constructive possession - (law) having the power and intention to have and control property but without direct control or actual presence upon it

criminal possession - (law) possession for which criminal sanctions are provided because the property may not lawfully be possessed or may not be possessed under certain circumstances

www.tfd.com...

I don't think Pluto is within your grasp right now, but you can bet people will be fighting over patches of the Moon in a hundred years.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Well if were all claiming stuff I want Cruithne

It's our sweet little 'second' moon... And it's mine, go away, get off my satellite.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
...yes, I remember when people were buying parts of the moon!

Congrats on owning Pluto!

...in that case I own everything in outer space that is left unclaimed, starting now...

You can come visit anytime!

Can I borrow minerals and stuff from you every once in a while? The heating bill on Pluto is going to be a

top topics

<<   2 >>

join