It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
just live in America USA!!

You know, I woke up this morn..with a god awful ear ache.

Now I have really good insurance. And a family doctor.

but, I knew if I called my doc's office...I'd get his 86 year old receptionist and probably be told that the good doctor couldn't see me until tomorrow...

So..I thought scew that crap...I'm in some discomfort here and jumped in my 1991 stanza 5 speed and drove down to the "walk in clinic".

I walked in the door and asked..."do you folks just take walk ins" ? (like a dumb #) and she said, "yes, have you been here before?", I said, mmm, maybe a bunch of years ago, not sure.." anyway \ I filled out a ONE PAGE FORM, and waited............

About 35 minutes later I was called!! (my regular doc, I probably could have read 25 percent of
War and Peace"]

I was weighed and blood pressured and put in a room, and told that the doctor would be with me in a few minutes.

To make a long story short. I had the doc come in the room ( a really cool dude) talk to me about the bummer about "ear aches" and tell me a story of a "Baker, who use to get flower-build up, in his ear" and before I knew it set up his stuff.. and flushed me out!!

He also gave me free ear drops and set me up for a visit in a week to make sure all was well.

This folks, is the United States of America.

(Thats why the Canadians come here to Florida)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Don't know about over there, but here in Australia we can do all that if the doctor happens to be unavailable, but we also don't have to pay for it. No complaints from me!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I did try a bit of "self flushing", and such...but I had an infection also...plus 'my ear -drum was impacted' ..really bad...The trip I made was "in pain", and what I'm saying is..

I was well treated, and never asked for $$$ -it was a great thing I thought I'ed share.

The USA is a great place to live.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

That's awesome!
Yeh, here in Oz medical centres and such are pretty accessible and generally bulk billed so theres no $$$ immediately outta pocket too... which is good.
I like the fact you are expressing how grateful you are! It's nice not to take our fortunate countries for granted.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
boo to health insurance.

it's a bunch of baloney.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Nice story Ruff, glad ya got it fixed up mate, but I want to know how this baker got flour in his lughole?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It's just a spring clean for the May queen.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Yes there are two paths you can go by,but in the long run,there's still time to change the road you're on...
The native americans here have smoke treatment for the ears...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Good stuff! I hate to break this to ya though, up here in Canada we've got walk in clinics too. Not only are they free, but you get a lolipop when you're done. A lolipop!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oh...Zep rules!

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Isn't it great that taxpayers' dollars help fund that "free" clinic, and subsidize your visit. You didn't think that was actually "free" did ya? Be sure to thank your neighbors for your quick care, and medication!

Some might even call that "socialized" healthcare.

[edit on 3/17/10 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Yep, I do thank my neighbours for that. And for my education too. The free market is awesome and so are libertarian values. But since we aren't socially evolved enough to live in sweet sweet anarchy, I'm willing to compromise a bit on this. A healthy and educated society is a healthy and educated society, no?

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Wow! Nice to here some good news coming out of the USA in these dark times. Yes we Brits still have a world-class free healthcare service but for how long is the question. We may be facing some cuts in service whilst letting the bankers (rhymes with **nkers) have been bailed out but there ya go.

Salud!

PS Led Zep stairway to heaven?

[edit on 17-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Orwells Ghost

Glad to hear it, but I was referring to the OP's need to thank his neighbors. Instead of his insurance paying for a visit to his normal doctor, his community payed for his visit to the clinic, and his meds. It's always interesting to see someone in the U.S. who has insurance stating such a preference for socialized care, and touting how it functions more smoothly ("free" and faster service in this case).

From my experience when I've seen people cheer on the current healthcare system so strongly, such as what's done in the OP, it's often just as much of a "screw 'socialized' healthcare" as it is an "everything's working great here"; all the while failing to acknowledge the fact that much of our system is already 'socialized'.

Many in the U.S. love such services, and use them quite often; however, I do find it odd that many of those same people are the loudest to scream against any percieved "socialized healthcare" (not that the OP is necessarily doing such). The fact of the matter is that in a lot of cities such services are pretty much the norm, and they function quite well.

The real problems come in emergency situations (that such clinics can't handle) when a person has no health insurance. I think the healthcare bill being proposed certainly needs some trimming, but I'd much rather have my tax dollars going towards less expensive preventative care, instead of a bunch of exorbitant catastrophic services that could have easily been prevented with early care/diagnosis.

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
A healthy and educated society is a healthy and educated society, no?

Absolutely.

[edit on 3/17/10 by redmage]

new topics

top topics

join