It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have created human-animal embryos already, say British team

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

It's more of a cruelty thing for me. If/when scientists create parahumans, it begs the question, "Where does the human end, and the animal begin?". Wherever that line is drawn, I just don't see myself ever drinking lattes at the local coffee shop with a minotaur (sorry, sounds like fun though
). Such beings would be locked up in some cage enduring 24 hr medical and psychological evaluations; and it just doesn't feel ethically correct to do that to a conscious sentient being.

[edit on 4/2/08 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

I say if it can communicate . In a way more advanced than the animal it was hybridized with . Then it falls under the "more human" category..

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage
Such beings would be locked up in some cage enduring 24 hr medical, and psychological evaluations. It just doesn't feel ethically correct to do that to a conscious sentient being.

Well now...that I would be against!

I am against alot of things that could result from animal-hybrid advancements. That is certainly one of them!

I am a vegetarian for similar humane reasons, so what you described is kind of an extension of that. Factory Farming for sentient animals? Yeah that's horrible

I am not saying bad things won't transpire. But just like anything, we can come together and overcome those kinds of injustices!

I am voting Libertarian to embrace personal-liberty for chimeras

*hopes the Libertarian Party embraces personal-liberty for Chimeras*

[edit on 123030p://2u25 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR

I say if it can communicate . In a way more advanced than the animal it was hybridized with . Then it falls under the "more human" category..

I understand what you're saying.. but no offense that sounds kinda arrogant

Like cultural biasnes only on a larger scale hehe. Like if you have Asian DNA in you and you're smart as a result, so you call yourself "more white"
btw I am not directing this at you.

Why not just call them Minotaurs... or let them name themselves if they are at the point where they can communicate as well as us?... you know? Personal rignts and all.

[edit on 123030p://2u49 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I swear some of you people would be happier living in the dark ages. It's 32 cells we're talking about, not a cow with human legs or a woman with eight tits.. and nobody's making a profit selling it for meat...

It's just a tiny mass of cells, less even than you scrape out of your nostril whenever you pick your nose. It doesn't have "rights" and it isn't "sentient", and unless you collect every cell your body's ever shed and ensure it has a comfortable and meaningful existence, it's hypocritical to condemn scientists for trying to make something that could help mankind, from a few cells.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
and these Tauren (bovidae sapiensis) will still be with us when we rush off to conquer the universe.

Tauren

P.S. this post was made half in jest but who knows?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Moooo..err umm.. cough. When I read in apocalypse the half man half wasp thingy that would sting and one would pray for death but death would not come for days I thought it metaphor. Now, I am not so sure.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Moooo..err umm.. cough.

Woa there buddy..

*tests jpm1602 for DNA purity... *machine sounds*

==99.03 percent human purity levels==

brands jpm1602 as grade D meat and sends him to McMeat Co.*

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Hmm the bovidae sapiensis look alot more friendly when they are tribal shaman...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
This is starting to sound like the start of "Planet of the Cows" to me... It brings back memories from watching the movie "The Island".... God forbid if that ever came true...

Im all for curing diseases and for the development of modern medicine etc... but I think tampering with animal/human DNA is freaky.

Lets face it. The truth is our bodies are mortal. And one day we will die. I don't mean to be harsh but its true. Our bodies arent meant to last forever, however it would be great to have a cure for cancer and other diseases that do not have a cure as yet, to give those a better quality and longer lasting life.

I think it a mistake to go down this path... But I very much doubt even if they tried to mix animal and human DNA and let it grow to a physical form would actually work. I think it would either abort itself or die every time they tried. Just a thought. What do you think?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Species integrity will need to be named as an unaliebale Right in the new body of genetic law.

We really do not know what we are doing, but we take the opiate of science to say it must be good for humanity.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by misswanderer31
What do you think?

I think you should not speak in such absolutes
Keep that mind fresh and open to discovery

We will perfect this. Saying it won't work is the famous last words of the disbelievers... not to sound too harsh, but it's true. It will happen. And it will happen successfully

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin
Species integrity will need to be named as an unaliebale Right in the new body of genetic law.

How far do you take that law? To what extent?

You do know there is caucasion DNA, Asian DNA, African DNA ,etc, right? So again, where do you draw the line for tampering with this "integrity"? How does your law define it?

Which DNA defines this 'integrity'? And to what percent?

Your law, and its "integrity, is borderline "aryan race" imho.

Please elaborate and prove me wrong.

We really do not know what we are doing, but we take the opiate of science to say it must be good for humanity.

So if you don't know, and We don't know , and the scientists don't know, what we are doing; how has it been decided it's not for the good of humanity??

[edit on 073030p://2u57 by Lucid Lunacy]

[edit on 073030p://2u52 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
i want to see a half and half.....maybe a cow with human legs or something like that......or, a chick with 6 nipples.....that would roxor

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Someday you will all realize WE ARE ALL GODS.

We are made of fragments of God's synapses.

"IN God We Trust"

"All in all is all we are" -Nirvana

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-4-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
My take on this is that if "god" never played god in the first place, then we would have never came to be. So bravo on the aspect of scientific advancement and hopefully they can use their brains enough to rationalize right from wrong.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

good point I have always viewed it as a metaphor for something else as well.. and now well ... this is just too creepy... I believe that there is some mad scientist out there that is going beyond the "lets just make it to six days" who knows in they have implanted these things and what has come out.. if this is what they are telling us now then it is old news and just preparing us for what they have already done... are reaction is an experiment of it's own.. muahhahahahahaha

awesome post by the way

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MitchMagic
I thought the cow part was much larger. I must have read wrong. I just though to have cows walking around with human legs (or vice versa) would be absolutely hilarious...

I don't see anything bad coming from that except some great comedy...

Mitch

Haha funny image. Yes.

But in reality things don't look so funny, you would probably be shocked or scared.

Also it may be funny to us, but may not be to them, freaks people will call them.
Just because it's not us, it's nothing bad?

That's the same as people seeing war as nothing bad, because the war is in another country and they are at home all safe and sound watching it on tv.

But yes saying all this, it does sound comedic haha.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I personally do not totaly support human animal hybrid, but if you come to thing of it they, are producing stem cell for research to prolong a human life by creating an organ part or to cure a disease, but before i go any futher, what if this experiment cause a recessive disease that is, a disease that has not yet be know to any human but remains hidden for awhile and sometime in future it suddenly takes over the human body or over powers the human, Now that concept always scares me. This so-call experiment let ask ourself is it ethically corrent, morally correct or are we just doing it for self reasons.

produced the embryos by inserting human DNA from a skin cell into a hollowed-out cow egg. An electric shock then induced the hybrid embryo to grow. The embryo, 99.9% human and 0.1% other animal, grew for three days, until it had 32 cells.

The team of scientist have gone about creating an embryo that will grow into the propose stem cell, what i think should happen is that legislation should be pass as to what is allow and what is not. The church has come in to try and stop this but i think this is too late, that is why i will ask for rule of law over their experiments, cause scientist can go on donig what they want. What i dont want to see is animal will human head runnig around or some chimera thing that scary.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I thought they have being doing this since the 50's. Isnt Oprah have human half cow. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere. Maybe the Enquirer.

Seriously though, I think this is totally awesome. I think it will be amazing as humans learn to create new creatures by manipulating DNA. I think God wants us to do that. He created us in his image to create. He probably gets a real kick out of it all.

I saw this documentary where they turned on and off certain genes in a bird, which is genetically related to dinosaurs.. and they could give it scales and a long tail like a dinosaur. That is so awesome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join